4 possible targets (now or in the offseason), Colvin, Bourjos, LoMo, M

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 06:52 AM)
http://riveraveblues.com/2013/07/2013-pote...-part-iv-89546/

Discuss.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/minnesota-twi...-062700949.html

Article on Justin Morneau, another name mentioned frequently as Option B/C/D behind Morales at 1B/DH.

No thanks to all the ones in the first article. Morneau intrigues me though.

Rockies just sent down Colvin yesterday. Don't know what happened to him. Looks like he forgot how to hit, looks terrible. Must be taking the opposite of PED's -- whatever that is. Last year he was very good.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:20 AM)
Rockies just sent down Colvin yesterday. Don't know what happened to him. Looks like he forgot how to hit, looks terrible. Must be taking the opposite of PED's -- whatever that is. Last year he was very good.

This is the same Tyler Colvin the Cubs gave up on years ago right?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 07:20 AM)

He didn't get called up til mid-June since the Rockies have a glutton of outfielders, but yeah, he was given a month to succeed and fell on his face. He had good years in 2010 & 2012 though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 07:14 AM)
This is the same Tyler Colvin the Cubs gave up on years ago right?

Would rather play Colvin than Danks/Tekotte and see if they can catch lightning in a bottle.

OTOH, Danks can play CF, and if DeAza's traded or not offered arbitration...they would need someone capable of playing above average defense at that position, rather than one of the corners (if Rios is traded or Viciedo moved to 1B).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)
Would rather play Colvin than Danks/Tekotte and see if they can catch lightning in a bottle.

OTOH, Danks can play CF, and if DeAza's traded or not offered arbitration...they would need someone capable of playing above average defense at that position, rather than one of the corners (if Rios is traded or Viciedo moved to 1B).

Danks is also a year younger.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Morneau also intrigues me. If that guy can return to 75% of his old form- he can provide a nice offensive punch for this lineup.

I really don't think he can.

I do think he could be a reasonably good contributor and a really solid platoon partner if you had a RH hitter playing some first/DHing also.

I screwed this up last time I floated it but if the Sox were willing to try something like Flowers at 1b or could come up with a better RH hitting option then it could work.

Just so it's clear, we are talking about the same Justin Morneau who has put up splits of .259/.320/.404/.724 over his previous 1211 PAs and is one more blow to the head away from retiring, correct?

Morneau blows. His swing has gotten incredibly long and slow. I'd stay away from that one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
I really don't think he can.

I do think he could be a reasonably good contributor and a really solid platoon partner if you had a RH hitter playing some first/DHing also.

I screwed this up last time I floated it but if the Sox were willing to try something like Flowers at 1b or could come up with a better RH hitting option then it could work.

Honestly, I'd rather have Wilkins or Black up there getting those AB's than Tyler Flowers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Just so it's clear, we are talking about the same Justin Morneau who has put up splits of .259/.320/.404/.724 over his previous 1211 PAs and is one more blow to the head away from retiring, correct?

Morneau blows. His swing has gotten incredibly long and slow. I'd stay away from that one.

The .902 OPS he put up against LH Pitching last year is what caught my eye as a platoonable option.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Morrison is a guy I think the Sox should pursue. Potentially the best #3 hitter on the market, build a package around Johnson if need be.

Not sure how the Marlins still view Morrison.

He's only 25, and he was sort of the face of the franchise in some respects a couple of seasons ago, along with Hanley, Stanton and Josh Johnson.

If they're keeping a lot of their veterans, trying to compete in 2014....then this move makes sense.

But if they're going to play it halfway or not be "all in" (which most think would be ill-advised), then the danger is losing a cheap #3 starter for someone who's had a very difficult time staying healthy and has gone through a lot of offensive inconsistency.

CF (trade)

2B Beckham

RF Rios

DH/1B Dunn

LF Viciedo

1B/DH Morrison

C Phegley

3B Gillaspie (possibly platooned with Kepp if he's not dealt)

SS Ramirez

They you have a rotation of Sale/Peavy/Santiago/Quintana and a huge ???.

You can trade away Crain and Thornton (along with Kepp and DeAza), but that probably won't fill in CF, and it definitely won't bring back a major league ready starting pitcher.

In all likelihood, you're forced to go into the FA market and put Granderson/Ellsbury/Choo (discussed over and over again) in CF and also pay top dollar for a starting pitcher....or you try something White Sox-ish like getting the Cubs to fork over $15-20 million and bring back Edwin Jackson to be the last man in the starting rotation and hope/pray Don Cooper can turn him around yet again.