Matt Thornton to Boston

Jake

We got something for a reliever clearly on the decline and hus contract us up after this season. Jacobs is a boom or bust type prospect. . Bur imo its a risk worth taking a look at. We really have nothing exciting down in the farm OF wise anyway. I guess Thompson may continue tto progress but everyone else is doing terrible.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
I'd love to see how much we can strengthen our system just through trading relievers. The 10-25 range will have to get quite a bit stronger, at least.

Sadly enough, Jacobs was like the 8th or 9th OF on the depth chart for the Red Sox and wasn't going to be protected.

In our system, he's automatically #2 behind Thompson. And 6th-9th overall.

Of course, we can still argue Hawkins has more POTENTIAL, but it's hard to argue he's CLOSER to making an impact than RB Jacobs.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
I expected Thornton to get traded but I think we could have gotten more. MLB Network guys said the same thing. Boston has a lot of young OF talent in the minors. Plus WE gave Boston money when everyone says we are maxed out

I would imagine that $750,000 is going towards the buyout. This was a fine return for Thornton. Hahn said that this was the best piece that was offered. Not surprising given the fact that Thornton is a 37 year old LHP with declining stuff. I am not sure what people expected.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
I would imagine that $750,000 is going towards the buyout. This was a fine return for Thornton. Hahn said that this was the best piece that was offered. Not surprising given the fact that Thornton is a 37 year old LHP with declining stuff. I am not sure what people expected.

Yes. so the Sox get Jacobs and save $2.5 million. I wish it never had to happen, but with some of the comments aboit Thornton on this board the last couple of years, I can't see how at least those people can't be satisfied. If the Sox players were worth all these top prospects, there would be no need to sell them off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
Yes. so the Sox get Jacobs and save $2.5 million. I wish it never had to happen, but with some of the comments aboit Thornton on this board the last couple of years, I can't see how at least those people can't be satisfied. If the Sox players were worth all these top prospects, there would be no need to sell them off.

Agreed, ever since the Thome bomb after him in 2010, he hasn't quite been the same pitcher.

As you know, many of us have been vocal critics, so I will never complain about the return, just hope they spend the $2.25-2.5 million in savings WISELY.

That means, among other things, not on DeWayne Wise. But on the future, whether it's talent or scouting/development.

Heck, I wouldn't mind them spending that money on a new advertising campaign designed by an outside group to rebrand the Sox and he coming youth movement over the next 3-5 years.

Just go forward, don't stand in place while others are passing you.

I think a lot of people are missing the point. Some of us are not complaining about the value of the prospect we are getting in return. I could care less if it's Red Sox's 11th, 12th, or 13th best prospect, I just want someone who has good baseball skills and is a good bet of making the majors, even if they don't have the ceiling as high as Jacobs.

Our minor leaguers that has the best chance of making the majors are Semien and Sanchez, guys who might be role players or average players, but have better baseball instinct and are more likely to make the majors. We don't have enough of those guys in the minors. Getting a Marco Scutaro type of player as prospect in return is a lot more ideal for us at this point.

We already have enough lottery tickets, raw athletes in the system with Mitchell, Thompson, Walker, Hawkins, Zapata, I would even throw in Barnum, and now Jacobs. We will be lucky if even one of them will make it to the majors, and it would be at least several years away. I am afraid it's going to be a long rebuild that keeps on coming up short.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 03:29 AM)
Claiming to know all of these prospects to bust is unreasonable.

Two of them are in their first full year, one in his second, and the other two have had injury based setbacks.

Sorry Paulstar - but your post was very biased in my opinion.

At least we both agree the hope is for your sentiment to be off the mark.

Cheers to that.

I wouldn't call Walker a first full year player in the pros. Walkers has been in the system for long enough where we feel like we have a good enough read on him.

Spin it all you want, but the facts are evident, their batting average keeps on dropping every time they get promoted. Out of our quartet and now Jacobs, they only have had one season with BA above .300, and the rest weren't even close.

The fact is, we haven't any success with these type of prospects to be zeroing in on these players, namely spending 80% of the international pool on the Zapata signing and now the Jacobs trade.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

The type of player you're talking about is Brent Lillibridge. Everyone raved about his instincts and readiness, and he was ready. He just wasn't very good. It's hard to tell the difference between a Brent Lillibridge and a Marco Scutaro when you're trading...not that a normal version of Marco Scutaro is all that valuable

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
OK trade. Getting a high ceiling type of offensive player. Still only 22 years old and has a ton of potential. White Sox sure like OF's that strike out a lot. That's only thing that doesn't make me love the trade is the high strikeouts and not seeing a huge improvement increasing his walks since being drafted.

I don't see that changing under the Sox farm system.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
So far this is a typical Soxtalk thread regarding Sox player values. Our guys are all worth s*** until they get traded, and then its we never got enough.

I think if we packaged Alexei and Thorton to the Cardinals for Kolten Wong and Martinez or Wacha, or along the lines, people would be ecstatic. I am don't have a problem with the value of the return, I just don't think it's the right type of player.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)

I think a lot of people are missing the point. Some of us are not complaining about the value of the prospect we are getting in return. I could care less if it's Red Sox's 11th, 12th, or 13th best prospect, I just want someone who has good baseball skills and is a good bet of making the majors, even if they don't have the ceiling as high as Jacobs.

Our minor leaguers that has the best chance of making the majors are Semien and Sanchez, guys who might be role players or average players, but have better baseball instinct and are more likely to make the majors. We don't have enough of those guys in the minors. Getting a Marco Scutaro type of player as prospect in return is a lot more ideal for us at this point.

We already have enough lottery tickets, raw athletes in the system with Mitchell, Thompson, Walker, Hawkins, Zapata, I would even throw in Barnum, and now Jacobs. We will be lucky if even one of them will make it to the majors, and it would be at least several years away. I am afraid it's going to be a long rebuild that keeps on coming up short.

Exactly. We have a great football/track/basketball team going on in the minors, and it is fine taking a gamble on players like that here and there. But the Sox need more people who are baseball players first who show that natural baseball instinct. Look at the Cardinals and their drafting process, they are all over "safe" college bats who show great baseball instinct. Well, they have a great team and a great farm system to back up that type of scouting and drafting.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
I think if we packaged Alexei and Thorton to the Cardinals for Kolten Wong and Martinez or Wacha, or along the lines, people would be ecstatic. I am don't have a problem with the value of the return, I just don't think it's the right type of player.

I don't think that package brings you back one of those pitchers though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)

I agree. Wong, Martinez, and Wacha sounds like the majority of the return for Chris Sale, not Alexei/Thornton

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)

Depends on how desperate the Cardinals are, but I think it's pretty fair.

Their current shortstop is awful, they have a surplus on major league ready pitching prospects, Kolton Wong is blocked by Carpenter, many people in the media have said we didn't get enough value for Thornton; Thornton is likely to fare better in the NL, and the Cardinals need more veteran and proven arms in the bullpen. So I don't think it's that far fetched.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs