Matt Thornton to Boston

Jake

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:28 PM)
Won't win many games, but they'll be tough to beat in skills' competition, especially if a stopwatch is involved.

Their combine numbers will be off the charts.the wondererlic tests, probably not so good.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, were he in our system, he'd probably be in the 4-5-6 range in terms of prospect status...

At least we're improving our talent/depth.

So we've got a running back in K. Walker from Utah, another in Jacobs, Joe Borchard/Fields can play QB, Brian West LB, do we have a TE? Hawkins changed from football to baseball around his sophomore season of high school. Did Trayce play football or just basketball and baseball?

Ht:6'1"

Wt:230 lbs

40:4.52 secs

Bench Max:335

Squat Max:570

Vertical:34 inches

GPA:3.1

Class:2009 (High School)

So he has about the same 40 time as Mitchell...but much bigger.

Actually, he looks like a lot like Courtney Hawkins physique-wise.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/auburn/football/re...toViewer=141404

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
Great value in my opinion. I know were in the minority, but what do people expect? We weren't getting a top 5 prospect. This kid has tons of offensive potential. Why not take the risk.

Yeah, I think it's a decent gamble too. Hopefully we get more premium talent coming back when it comes to the Peavy and Rios deals later on.

And that brief and forgettable look at Mitch Mustain.

Ooops. Can't forget Clayton Richard, although I liked him.

I didn't care for Clayton Richard. Was glad to see him go. Only regret is that he didn't take Merkin with him.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)
We werent going to get much more than this for Thornton. Good trade.

Why is everyone so burnt out of these type of players? Eventually your bound to hit on one, every system does this.

I don't think anyone is burnt, but these are the players the Sox have failed miserably with since Frank Thomas. I think it does make it seem like a longer shot he is ultimately successful in Chicago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 09:35 PM)
I don't think anyone is burnt, but these are the players the Sox have failed miserably with since Frank Thomas. I think it does make it seem like a longer shot he is ultimately successful in Chicago.

Waiting for the tweet from one of the Guillen kids about this trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:14 PM)
Just off of reading the prospect descriptions, sounds a lot like Thompson. High power, tons of potential, athletic.

That's what I thought. Only thing is Thompson plays a good CF, while Jacobs plays an adequate LF. That's a big difference.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I think this was a really good return for Thornton.

I agree. A 36-year-old Thornton wasn't very relevant to this team considering the standings. I think it's a very good move.

After doing some reading I have Jacobs at No. 6 in the system behind Johnson, Thompson, Anderson, Hawkins and Phegley. He's clearly more advanced than a guy like Keon Barnum, who is just about a consensus top 10 prospect.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
That's what I thought. Only thing is Thompson plays a good CF, while Jacobs plays an adequate LF. That's a big difference.

I agree. A 36-year-old Thornton wasn't very relevant to this team considering the standings. I think it's a very good move.

After doing some reading I have Jacobs at No. 6 in the system behind Johnson, Thompson, Anderson, Hawkins and Phegley. He's clearly more advanced than a guy like Keon Barnum, who is just about a consensus top 10 prospect.

The more I hear the more this sounds like a nice get after my initial reaction of looking up his stats.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)

We could always go to the wishbone with Dunn as QB and Walker/Jacobs at RB, Mitchell at WR, then Hawkins at OLB/SS. Trayce can be like Antonio Gates at hybrid TE/WR/h-back.

We also have Kevan Smith, the former Pitt QB, haha.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 04:01 AM)
I don't mind this trade by Kenny Williams :)

It's funny, as I got done reading the newest BA that says Jacobs was the biggest disappointment of the first half for Red Sox farm system.

Yikes. Kind of scary, Fathom, but predictable. What a coincidence you read that right before the trade.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 04:11 AM)
Anybody, that is complaining about this deal, what did you expect? Everyone wanted Thornton out of here and has been on the downside of his career as of late. Getting Boston's 11th rated prospect according to mlb.com is pretty good value. He's 22 in AA, has very high offensive potential while his defense is a work in progress. I like it.

I thought some people were saying Thornton had real value. This screams 'salary dump' to me. Of course I can't prove the prospect we got will never pan out. Sounds to me like management hopes he's the next Konerko. I hope he's not the next Dunn (a K machine).

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 04:23 AM)
Send him back to LSU and see if Les Miles needs a receiver with one year of eligibility.

Buddy Bell has lost all credibility with me by continuing to tout Mitchell.

It ain't happening.

Wasn't Mitchell a first-round pick? Another example of a draft pick gone bad? You mean the draft is an inexact science, especially with the White Sox?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 04:28 AM)
Another football player. They are determined to have one of these guys pan out.

Great line, Dick Allen. Nice line.

My take: Salary dump. Salary dump. Salary dump. The guy is 22? I'd say either he plays for our team by the time he's a young 24, or forget him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)

Yeah, I left the D out on purpose, going more off of the bat.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:47 PM)
Yikes. Kind of scary, Fathom, but predictable. What a coincidence you read that right before the trade.

I thought some people were saying Thornton had real value. This screams 'salary dump' to me. Of course I can't prove the prospect we got will never pan out. Sounds to me like management hopes he's the next Konerko. I hope he's not the next Dunn (a K machine).

Wasn't Mitchell a first-round pick? Another example of a draft pick gone bad? You mean the draft is an inexact science, especially with the White Sox?

Great line, Dick Allen. Nice line.

My take: Salary dump. Salary dump. Salary dump. The guy is 22? I'd say either he plays for our team by the time he's a young 24, or forget him.

$3M really doesn't count as a salary dump.

Thornton had OK value by himself in a trade. More in a package. He's a 36 year old reliever who is on the downside of his career and we got a new addition to our Top 10 prospects.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
So Veal, Purcey, Moskos and Santos Rodriguez our the top 4 LH relievers at the moment.

Moskos was released last month. I guess you could throw Leesman in there if they decide to make him a reliever.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
I figure the Sox just saved roughly $3.25 million.

Thornton making $5.5. Prorated for the rest of the season they owed him another $3 million or so.

Add another $1 million for the buyout and then subtract the $750,000 being sent to Boston.

Question Number Two:

Who's next?

Lindstrom, although only making 500K and the fact that their 7th/8th inning relief corps is even thinner now...they might decide to keep him OR put Casper Wells in the bullpen, haha.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
Tired of players that have no natural talent coming into a system that does not develop them.

you mean "baseball talent" I am sure, or baseball acumen

we need baseball players (like Beckham) with innate instincts, not athletes we're trying to turn into baseball players

Edited by caulfield12