Matt Thornton to Boston

Jake

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 03:50 AM)
So Veal, Purcey, Moskos and Santos Rodriguez our the top 4 LH relievers at the moment.

Yes, scary. But you must admit Thornton wasn't exactly effective and he was only going to get worse.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 04:12 AM)
Tired of players that have no natural talent coming into a system that does not develop them.

Great post, Harry.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 04:17 AM)
Pretty good value for someone who's now a overpaid mediocre reliever.

How can you say we got good value? This guy we got is a total longshot. Granted, I'd rather acquire a hitter than a pitcher, but Jacobs is not exactly a prime prospect.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:35 PM)
Yes, scary. But you must admit Thornton wasn't exactly effective and he was only going to get worse.

Great post, Harry.

How can you say we got good value? This guy we got is a total longshot. Granted, I'd rather acquire a hitter than a pitcher, but Jacobs is not exactly a prime prospect.

You were expecting a great prospect for Matt Thornton?

If this is what we got in return for Jesse Crain, I'd be pissed. But Matt Thornton's kind of bad now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 05:43 AM)
You were expecting a great prospect for Matt Thornton?

If this is what we got in return for Jesse Crain, I'd be pissed. But Matt Thornton's kind of bad now.

I'm not expecting much for Crain at all. The guy is on the DL. The guy is aging. The guy is a free agent after the season. The guy can't close.

Yes, his scoreless innings streak was INCREDIBLE. I applaud him, but I think we'll get two prospects of the Jacobs variety. What do you expect for Crain?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:50 PM)
I'm not expecting much for Crain at all. The guy is on the DL. The guy is aging. The guy is a free agent after the season. The guy can't close.

Yes, his scoreless innings streak was INCREDIBLE. I applaud him, but I think we'll get two prospects of the Jacobs variety. What do you expect for Crain?

Jesse Crain has a 0.72 ERA and the peripherals to back a lot of it up.

You're not going to get a B+ or A prospect for him (well, maybe you can, depending on how desperate the team is), but he should fetch you at least 1 good B prospect.

Matt Thronton is older than Crain, also an FA after the season, and also can't close. His numbers were meh and his peripherals sucked. Yet we still got a C/C+ prospect for him. You'd think Crain would fetch a lot more.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:44 PM)
Is there anything such as a low ceiling high floor guy? If so, let's target that guy.

Why would you want that? Are you aspiring to be Jerry Angelo? That's what he always said. Targeting low ceiling high floor guys doesn't win you the World Series. This trade was good. Matt Thornton is done. Thornton should have been traded 2 years imo.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 11:35 PM)

Great post, Harry.

Greg this is a good trade. Not sure what you wanted here. I think you threw out the blanket statement a week ago that they'd get a couple of 10 rounders for Crain. Jacobs was a 10th round pick. Not relevant at all. Just thought I'd mention it.

I like this trade. Matt Thornton was a great reliever with us and is now no more than an effective LOOGY getting a prospect from a very deep boston system that would've ranked between 5-8 in our system coming into this year with high potential and high bust is ok with me. Eventually one of these football players we continue to target is going to break through, hopefully this is the one. I look forward to him in LF down at AA shading Thompson in CF and maybe, they'll make the push to AAA together.

I'm actually fairly impressed with the return here. As other posters pointed out he's been pretty solid the last 2 months, and he had been bothered by a hamate problem. Perhaps 2 months ago was when he finally got over the injury and is the reason he's hitting so well now? It should be fun to see if he continues hitting well.

We all remember hearing about PKs hamate bone messing with him at the plate.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
Why would you want that? Are you aspiring to be Jerry Angelo? That's what he always said. Targeting low ceiling high floor guys doesn't win you the World Series. This trade was good. Matt Thornton is done. Thornton should have been traded 2 years imo.

Because we are on the verge of trading away half of our team and there isn't a single hitter we can plug into our starting lineup this season or next season to fill the void, with the exception of Phegley. Some of us are hoping this is going to be a a short rebuild, but it ain't going to happen with these types of players we are targeting, we are always going to be a few years away.

We have been on this lottery ticket approach for the past 3-4 years in terms of offensive talent, and nothing has paid off for us so far. And as much as I like this approach, we can't just have a system full of these guys. We need to target some some low ceiling high floor Marco Scutaro-esque players who will turn out to be solid role players

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 12:46 AM)
His name is Lance Broadway

That proved to be a failed approach for pitchers.

Yet what's being undermined is the hitters from our farm that actually reached the majors were the likes of Sweeney, Getz, Morel, Beckham, and Phegley.

Awesome trade...anyone saying otherwise is b****ing just to b****. Jacobs is the ultimate lottery ticket, probably amounts to s***, but has the potential to be an everyday starter. Also saves us $2.75M which we can use to eat some money in a Rios or Peavy trade to expand their markets. What more could you expect to get in return for Matt Thornton?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)
Just off of reading the prospect descriptions, sounds a lot like Thompson. High power, tons of potential, athletic.

Trayce is a plus defensive outfielder with superior power potential to Jacobs. Not even on the same page (other then the fact that both have shown they can't hit consistently). Not knocking Jacobs here but his tools aren't near what Trayce's are.

Personally I'm disappointed in this trade. Jacobs is a fine get but the Sox are paying a lot of salary and I'd have thought they could have gotten more. Maybe I had just overvalued Thorty though. At least Jacobs has solid tools and potential and could turn into a solid starter. Still, Thorty was one of the more solid lefty relievers on the market and in years past I've seen these type of guys get more inr return then what the Sox have gotten back, especially given the Sox contributed a decent amount of cash.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
Send him back to LSU and see if Les Miles needs a receiver with one year of eligibility.

Buddy Bell has lost all credibility with me by continuing to tout Mitchell.

It ain't happening.

Until some position players develop, bell has zero credibility. He's been a complete and utter dud until he proves anything worth a damn. And the Sox have yet another outfielder who struggles at making contact. I'm sure that will go over well. Good grief this organization can't develop position players.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 12:17 AM)
Until some position players develop, bell has zero credibility. He's been a complete and utter dud until he proves anything worth a damn. And the Sox have yet another outfielder who struggles at making contact. I'm sure that will go over well. Good grief this organization can't develop position players.

But we can assemble the most talented football team of all the MLB systems.

Does that count for something?

And we're supposed to believe KW had nothing to do with this one? HMMMPF.

Edited by caulfield12

In 2012 the kid hit .394/.472/.702 vs LHP...This year??? .107/.286/.143....That's an incredible difference for a player who started the year repeating A+(I believe).

It'd be incredible if the Sox see what went wrong and get him back to pounding lefties.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 12:56 AM)
Because we are on the verge of trading away half of our team and there isn't a single hitter we can plug into our starting lineup this season or next season to fill the void, with the exception of Phegley. Some of us are hoping this is going to be a a short rebuild, but it ain't going to happen with these types of players we are targeting, we are always going to be a few years away.

The Sox should be planning for 2015. The pitching core could/should be very strong the next couple years at least and like you said the offensive talent isn't that close. 2014 is another throw away year where they should let some young guys break in (Johnson, Rienzo, Petricka, Webb, Castro and maybe Thompson, Sanchez, Semien later in the year) to see what they have. Use the 2015 offseason to fill in the gaps after you've figured out what you have.

A lot of things can change from now to then.