Thornton Trade: Who is Brandon Jacobs

QuickJones81

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 12, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
Here's my FS post on Jacobs.

If he legitimately ran a 4.51/4.52 40 time, then he's right up there with Mitchell pre-injury in terms of football speed (don't know the conditions, on a track, with pads or without).

But he hasn't shown that tool in stolen bases at the minor league level, I would guess.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
Was anyone expecting him to go anywhere else? He was hitting up a storm in a ball prior to his recent promotion to AA.

Since he just got promoted, and Mitchell, Walker, and Thompson were in Birmingham, it was a little up in the air.

Bell said that one of them will DH most games.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
I'd put him at 6.

I can't squint him higher than 7 -- I think Phegley has to be up there now just given that he has had a modicum of success at the majors.

1. Hawkins

2. Johnson

3. Thompson

4. Anderson

5. Phegley

6. Sanchez

7. Jacobs? Walker? Snodgress? Beck? Barnum?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
I can't squint him higher than 7 -- I think Phegley has to be up there now just given that he has had a modicum of success at the majors.

1. Hawkins

2. Johnson

3. Thompson

4. Anderson

5. Phegley

6. Sanchez

7. Jacobs? Walker? Snodgress? Beck? Barnum?

I think you can argue that Jacobs is higher than Sanchez, but you can make arguments for a lot of those guys too. I think it's safe saying he's top 12 or so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
I think you can argue that Jacobs is higher than Sanchez, but you can make arguments for a lot of those guys too. I think it's safe saying he's top 12 or so.

He profiles better than Barnum. Most everyone has Barnum top 10. They're comparable prospects and Jacobs is better just about across the board.

I have him ahead of Sanchez at 6.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
He profiles better than Barnum. Most everyone has Barnum top 10. They're comparable prospects and Jacobs is better just about across the board.

I have him ahead of Sanchez at 6.

I think we all like Barnum because he looks like he might actually have a 50 grade hit tool. We're all so tired of seeing guys never develop the contact skills to reach their potential.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
I think we all like Barnum because he looks like he might actually have a 50 grade hit tool. We're all so tired of seeing guys never develop the contact skills to reach their potential.

Are we thinking of the same player? Barnum is another high power, low contact hitter for now.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
Are we thinking of the same player? Barnum is another high power, low contact hitter for now.

I went back and read some of the online scouting reports, and you're right -- I'm not sure why I had the impression that his hit tool was better than the rest of our guys.

Seems like the Sox are dead set on developing power hitters. They must feel that it is the hardest thing to obtain in either free agency or the trade market and are working hard to find some through the amateur ranks. No other real explanation I can think of for all of these plus plus power, minus hit tool types.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
Seems like the Sox are dead set on developing power hitters. They must feel that it is the hardest thing to obtain in either free agency or the trade market and are working hard to find some through the amateur ranks. No other real explanation I can think of for all of these plus plus power, minus hit tool types.

That's an interesting point. You could argue they would want to steer away from that concept after all the corpseball years and the more recent deathball years. Like you say, power is a premium now that PEDd are being flushed and pitchers are really starting to dominate. I hope we end up at some hybrid of the two.