7/14 at Phillies

flavum

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Realistically it will be hard to pass up Astros and Marlins for #1 pick, unless firesale.

Yeah, it's 3 at best. Brewers, Twins, and White Sox should be 3-5 in some order.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
The reward for moving up a few spots in the draft order isn't worth compromising your franchise over

I don't think they'll intentionally make moves to end up with a worse record. However, based on the moves they are likely to make (Peavy/Crain/Lindstrom), it's quite possible the team will be so bad that they'll end up with 100 losses.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
I don't think they'll intentionally make moves to end up with a worse record. However, based on the moves they are likely to make (Peavy/Crain/Lindstrom), it's quite possible the team will be so bad that they'll end up with 100 losses.

Agreed. Especially with the strength of opponents in the second half.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 03:59 PM)
Yep, never been a fan of Stone. He can be really funny sometimes, though

Stone is fine with the right partner, and Hawk isn't it. Though I have noticed they are both trying harder to have some discussions. It is way better than last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
Stone is fine with the right partner, and Hawk isn't it. Though I have noticed they are both trying harder to have some discussions. It is way better than last year.

I'd like them to bring in Branley and pair him with Stone.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)

That's what I'm thinking too. It's very realistic that the Sox can finish worse than the Astros. Hard to be worse than the Marlins, but even that could happen.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)
Given how we've performed below our talent so far, it wouldn't shock me if we begin to perform over it with some new faces around

Disagree, as you're going to see more AAA/AAAA caliber players on the roster taking the spot of the veterans (ie: Troncoso and Purcey for Thornton)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
Disagree, as you're going to see more AAA/AAAA caliber players on the roster taking the spot of the veterans (ie: Troncoso and Purcey for Thornton)

That pen is just going to make it hard to close out many close games, minus CG's from starters like Sale and Santiago.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
That's what I'm thinking too. It's very realistic that the Sox can finish worse than the Astros. Hard to be worse than the Marlins, but even that could happen.

Marlins have 35 wins. Astros have 33 wins. White Sox have 37 wins. We can very well be in contention for that number 1 pick considering were about to be major sellers at the deadline. Marlins and Astros will essentially have the same teams.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
Marlins have 35 wins. Astros have 33 wins. White Sox have 37 wins. We can very well be in contention for that number 1 pick considering were about to be major sellers at the deadline. Marlins and Astros will essentially have the same teams.

Marlins are making bunch of their relief corps available, FWIW.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)

Very much so especially if the sale extends to guys like De Aza, Dunn, and Reed which I hope it does.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)

I still think our luck will change enough to stack up more wins than we saw in the first half.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
I still think our luck will change enough to stack up more wins than we saw in the first half.

Sox were 33-48 in the first 81 games. 4-7 since. They might be able to go 30-40 after the break, but probably not.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
Sox were 33-48 in the first 81 games. 4-7 since. They might be able to go 30-40 after the break, but probably not.

We went through that horrible 8-23 stretch or whatever...all it takes is a little winning streak and avoiding a stretch like that.

I'll bet we play .500 or close to it from here on out.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
Very much so especially if the sale extends to guys like De Aza, Dunn, and Reed which I hope it does.

I wouldn't mind Dunn and De Aza to a lesser extent because he still is having a pretty good year offensively. Reed hasn't even hit arbitration yet, and that's not how you do a rebuild. He is controlled for 4 or 5 more years unless you're absolutely blown away with a deal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:40 PM)
I wouldn't mind Dunn and De Aza to a lesser extent because he still is having a pretty good year offensively. Reed hasn't even hit arbitration yet, and that's not how you do a rebuild. He is controlled for 4 or 5 more years unless you're absolutely blown away with a deal.

I think to do a rebuild right the bullpen should always be the first to go because of how difficult it is to get consistent high-level performance out of relievers from one year to the next. More to the point on Reed though, I want a closer with better stuff than he has when this team is ready to contend for a championship.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
I think to do a rebuild right the bullpen should always be the first to go because of how difficult it is to get consistent high-level performance out of relievers from one year to the next. More to the point on Reed though, I want a closer with better stuff than he when this team is ready to contend for a championship.

I agree on the relievers being a year in year out thing. But with Reed he has a fastball between 93-96 with a plus slider and a plus change up. Honestly, I think you're being a little greedy. You.don't need overpowering stuff to be a closer, just one who can step up in the 9th. Reed has done that with 24-28 save attempts and 2 of those the defense failed him.

Personally, Reed has been tremendous in save situations and will only get better.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)

And you probably think Courtney Hawkins is a sure fire major league superstar in the making, worthy of top 5 prospect ranking.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
And you probably think Courtney Hawkins is a sure fire major league superstar in the making, worthy of top 5 prospect ranking.

Good grief - what a silly comment. Who talks about ANY 19 year-old as being a "sure fire major league superstar", no matter what round they were drafted? You can certainly like their chances, given when they were drafted, and I continue to expect great things of Courtney at some point given the ability he universally is said to possess. But why you would feel otherwise with him being all of 19 years old and without the benefit of a full year in professional ball under his belt is beyond me, other than an incessant need to be negative around here all the time.

It's so disappointing to read comments like this one, and luckily it's very much the exception rather than the rule on this otherwise well-informed site.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
Good grief - what a silly comment. Who talks about ANY 19 year-old as being a "sure fire major league superstar", no matter what round they were drafted? You can certainly like their chances, given when they were drafted, and I continue to expect great things of Courtney at some point given the ability he universally is said to possess. But why you would feel otherwise with him being all of 19 years old and without the benefit of a full year in professional ball under his belt is beyond me, other than an incessant need to be negative around here all the time.

It's so disappointing to read comments like this one, and luckily it's very much the exception rather than the rule on this otherwise well-informed site.

What he said.