7/15 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 11:50 PM)
Hawkins with the whiff....now has fanned 14 times his last 18 AB. The fact that this is not improving has to be a concern to the White Sox.

Not only is he striking out a ton, but he's not hitting homers at the rate he had been.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 11:52 PM)
Lol...another Hawkins strikeout.

I still believe there has to be some crazy explanation for this other than he simply sucks. His K rate wasn't that bad last year, it makes no sense to me how it's gotten this bad. Just so f***ing bizarre.

I still encourage everyone to watch his highlight videos on milb.com. Some of the worst balance at the plate I've ever seen from a professional baseball player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 06:50 PM)
Hawkins with the whiff....now has fanned 14 times his last 18 AB. The fact that this is not improving has to be a concern to the White Sox.

14 in 19 and he has a walk in there so more like 20, but point well made.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
I still believe there has to be some crazy explanation for this other than he simply sucks. His K rate wasn't that bad last year, it makes no sense to me how it's gotten this bad. Just so f***ing bizarre.

Word. How he went from last year's performance to what we are seeing now is mind-boggling; and quite frustrating.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 06:50 PM)

Also a strong indictment of the Sox player development, at least offensively. How many raw prospects do we have that strike out at horrible rates?

Yea DeMichele is having a nightmare game as he is still adjusting to SS. Also Andre Wheeler (15th round pick) is having a great start to his pro career in Bristol. I believe he's the one who had a mechanic tweak and now he's just been dominant so far.

Ayala had a nice game for Bristol.

2-for-4, 2 runs, 1 RBI, and a double at the plate, bringing his season average up to .258.

Despite two passed balls, he threw out THREE base runners today (6 attempts).

He should start playing him more than Nick Parent...he's down to .108 after going 0-for-5 with a hat trick (3 K's). Yesterday, he didn't fare much better...0-for-3 with 3 K's.

Parent:

2nd, 0 on, 0 out: Strike out

3rd, 2 on, 2 out: Ground out

6th, 1 on, 0 out: Strike out

8th, 0 on, 1 out: Strike out

9th, 3 on, 1 out: Game-ending double play.

Ayala:

2nd, 0 on, 1 out: Single

4th, 0 on, 0 out: Ground out

6th, 1 on, 1 out: Fly out

8th, 0 on, 2 out: Double

Everyone on the Bristol Sox got a base hit, except for Parent...not a bad day on offensive for the Sox. 11 hits.

Edited by jthunder93

For those talking about Hawkins' legs and balance, I'll point out again the three videos embedded in this article. Read it if you want to, or at least just watch the videos. He's got a ton of weird stuff going on, or at least did earlier in the season. The fact that he has so many clearly mechanical problems actually gives me some hope, as those things can be fixed... if he is willing to listen, and fix them.

And that may be the problem. He isn't listening.

Also worth noting, I had pointed out earlier his K rate was 57% in his first 70 PA, 36% the next 150... but it has gone way, way up again since then, which is concerning. I really am starting to think he's just not coachable, at least at this point. There is zero chance the Sox haven't talked to him and worked with him on some of these obvious things.

I can only hope he grows up enough, quickly enough, to realize it is time to make some changes.

This is from the baseball prospectus daily minor league report:

Courtney Hawkins, CF, White Sox (High-A Winston-Salem): 1-5, R, 3 K. I just got a pessimistic report on Hawkins from someone I trust in the industry: “I’m not sure he [Hawkins] makes it to and/or out of Double-A.” That is very worrisome.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
This is from the baseball prospectus daily minor league report:

Courtney Hawkins, CF, White Sox (High-A Winston-Salem): 1-5, R, 3 K. I just got a pessimistic report on Hawkins from someone I trust in the industry: “I’m not sure he [Hawkins] makes it to and/or out of Double-A.” That is very worrisome.

If he doesn't make some adjustments, he definitely won't get past AA, if that. That's not even a question. But with the tools he has, if he is willing/able to make some changes, I still believe he has a very high ceiling.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
There's no way you'd continue to play him if he was being outright insubordinate. I have a feeling they're not working on his mechanics very much. I just don't know why.

When I've heard Buddy Bell, he talks about leaving "the good ones" alone, and let them try to figure it out on their own.

Obviously Hawkins is a very aggressive hitter, so if he's still on his own, he's failing on his own.

This year is probably a lost cause, so it really comes down to breaking it down in the offseason, and coming back to Winston-Salem for a full season as a much better player. But if he's the same guy a year from now, it's probably over for him as a hitter.