7/15 Games

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
When I've heard Buddy Bell, he talks about leaving "the good ones" alone, and let them try to figure it out on their own.

Obviously Hawkins is a very aggressive hitter, so if he's still on his own, he's failing on his own.

This year is probably a lost cause, so it really comes down to breaking it down in the offseason, and coming back to Winston-Salem for a full season as a much better player. But if he's the same guy a year from now, it's probably over for him as a hitter.

There's no reason to let him play ~70 more games if he's going to strike out 140 times in that span. I'm not saying you bench him, but you change something. If we're not already doing a major swing reconstruction, it's time to start now. If he won't cooperate, send him to extended spring and let him enjoy his time there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
I seriously can't fathom how anyone could honestly write and believe "it'd be over for him as a hitter" about a 20 year old.

#1-- I said probably, meaning probable. Meaning more than likely. Not 100%.

#2-- Good players don't struggle in A ball for two years. If he struggles two years in a row at A ball, yes, he's probably not good enough to make it the majors. That's just a fact.

I think you guys read too much into the "leave them alone" thing. They aren't literally saying nothing. They are just not doing aggressive re-working with them. And I refuse to believe they haven't started doing more things with him, as he continues to struggle. That just makes no sense to me.

But in Hawkins' case, I think it is certainly time for more drastic measures. I think we are seeing a player that isn't taking to coaching, at this point. That is the more likely scenario then, hey, we're just going to not say anything and see what happens.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
I think you guys read too much into the "leave them alone" thing. They aren't literally saying nothing. They are just not doing aggressive re-working with them. And I refuse to believe they haven't started doing more things with him, as he continues to struggle. That just makes no sense to me.

But in Hawkins' case, I think it is certainly time for more drastic measures. I think we are seeing a player that isn't taking to coaching, at this point. That is the more likely scenario then, hey, we're just going to not say anything and see what happens.

Buddy Bell seems to be on Rongey's show every Saturday. Maybe one of you guys on Twitter can ask Rongey to ask Bell specifically what is going on with Hawkins this year, and what are the plans in the offseason.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
Buddy Bell seems to be on Rongey's show every Saturday. Maybe one of you guys on Twitter can ask Rongey to ask Bell specifically what is going on with Hawkins this year, and what are the plans in the offseason.

I'm going to put that question in via some other channels, and we'll see what we can find out. If anything.

I also might get the chance to talk with Courtney directly in August, when I am down there in W-S and Kanny. If he is still there at that point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
I seriously can't fathom how anyone could honestly write and believe "it'd be over for him as a hitter" about a 20 year old.

There are a lot of Little League stars who were done as hitters as 14 year olds. If he can't figure out a way to make more contact, he's done. That said, it is still early, but his K rate has to be near a record level, and these aren't exactly future major league stars that are handling him very easily. Considering how bright his star was shining 6 months ago, his decline may even be more alarming than that of the major league club.

Edited by Dick Allen