Let's talk about Adam Dunn destinations

Steve9347

How is this guy not headed to the Yankees at the deadline. He has an OPS of like .960 over the last two months and is on pace for 44 homers. What's left on his contract? 21 million? That's nothing to the Yankees since they're going to get back like $30 million from A-Roid's impending suspension and they have such massive dicks.

Stay hot, Donkey. I need the Sox to be rid of you.

/rant

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
How is this guy not headed to the Yankees at the deadline. He has an OPS of like .960 over the last two months and is on pace for 44 homers. What's left on his contract? 21 million? That's nothing to the Yankees since they're going to get back like $30 million from A-Roid's impending suspension and they have such massive dicks.

Stay hot, Donkey. I need the Sox to be rid of you.

/rant

He won't go to the Yankees because they are desperately trying to remain under the luxury tax threshold for next year. The money to pay him isn't a big deal, but that he would contribute $14m to the magic luxury tax number is a massive problem, especially given Cano's impending free agency.

The Orioles remain the most attractive destination for Dunn, and that's not likely to happen. Still, Dunn hitting 6th in that lineup would be deadly.

**Sorry, had to edit, forgot Showalter is dumb and has Boom Davis hitting 5th. Dunn would hit 7th.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)
The Orioles remain the most attractive destination for Dunn, and that's not likely to happen. Still, Dunn hitting 6th in that lineup would be deadly.

**Sorry, had to edit, forgot Showalter is dumb and has Boom Davis hitting 5th. Dunn would hit 7th.

I don't know about "deadly." You could look at it another way and say he'll ruin that lineup if he gets in one of his patented strikeout funks. Their professional hitters are probably not used to seeing such ineptitude on a fairly frequent basis. It's going to be great to rebuild and not have Dunn around anymore.

As dissappointing as Dunn has been, he is one of the few reasons to tune into a game anymore. I would still dump him. Dunn and Rios for an Olt lottery ticket and an A ball hitter. Then go Christmas shopping in the winter. It is a pipedream, but if Texas would pick up the $$$$.......

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
I don't know about "deadly." You could look at it another way and say he'll ruin that lineup if he gets in one of his patented strikeout funks. Their professional hitters are probably not used to seeing such ineptitude on a fairly frequent basis. It's going to be great to rebuild and not have Dunn around anymore.

As opposed to the rest of the team's strikeout, groundout, and flyout funks. Man you love to hammer a guy that's going to have 500 major league homers.

lol oh greg, you do know Mark Reynolds was on Baltimore last year right? His K rate was actually higher than Dunns is right now.

First off, ineptitude is not the correct word. Ineptitude is the act of being inept, and inept is defined as awkward, clumsy, or incompetent. Dunn isn't inept, he's streaky. He's always been a three outcome hitter, and earlier this year he was striking out a lot more than usual. But over the last couple months, he's been a pretty damn good hitter. He's on pace for 44 HRs...that's not inept.

Secondly, your last sentence contradicts the rest of your post. You essentially say he won't be traded because he'll "ruin" a "professional" lineup. Then you say it'll be great to rebuild without Dunn.

I don't think Dunn will be traded, so we'll have to watch a rebuild with a guy who can hit 40+ HRs.

Just yesterday I was reading a Colorado Rockies blog called Purple Row in which that writer recommended the Rox acquiring Dunn and putting him at first base, because they (Rockies) have been getting little production there. Had to laugh, cuz it won't happen, but wish it would. I can get the link if anyone cares.

No, he'd greatly help their lineup.

110 wRC+ is not superstar level at his position by any means, but for a team who is receiving below average production at 1B or DH, it is a substantial upgrade and one that could be the difference between making or missing the playoffs.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
110 wRC+ is not superstar level at his position by any means, but for a team who is receiving below average production at 1B or DH, it is a substantial upgrade and one that could be the difference between making or missing the playoffs.

Especially if you believe his .100 average through April 24th was a fluke, he's been a ton better than 110 wRC+ since then.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Dunn supplanting Pacheco in Colorado could make sense if the Rockies are going to try to make a run for it. I don't think they are though.

Dunn at Coors Field...

It would make sense, but I think their focus is justifiably almost completely on pitching first.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
I wonder if you could see a team take a shot at Dunn after the trade deadline and claim him off of waivers, similar to how the Sox claimed Rios.

Not sure if the Sox would let him go without some compensation

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
Not sure if the Sox would let him go without some compensation

The rule of thumb is if Dunn were a free agent, would he get the contract he has now? With the answer being a pretty clear "no", you have to let him go.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
I wonder if you could see a team take a shot at Dunn after the trade deadline and claim him off of waivers, similar to how the Sox claimed Rios.

I think there's a 0.5% chance he gets claimed, which is fine for us, because then we can trade him to any team we want throughout August. Also, teams are defintely going to want us to eat some money, so maybe there's a way to wiggle a decent prospect out of them if we pick up enough.

If some team claims him, you simply say see ya and let them take on his full contract. No compensation necessary at that point.

I just disagree with you guys...if I was a GM for a contending team and needed a LH bat NOW, I don't think the money is all that frightening. You're looking at what, $22-23 million over the next year and a half with some pretty solid historical evidence that you're going to get 60ish homers and 140-150 rbi out of him during that timeframe?

I don't see why that is so repellent for a contending team.