Let's talk about Adam Dunn destinations

Steve9347

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
Its all debatable. Maybe all Dunn is good at is hitting bombs. But maybe, just maybe, if he brainwashed himself into not wanting to swing for the fences, maybe used a lighter bat, and went with a more all around approach where he is willing to make adjustments during at bats and sacrifice power here and there, I think he would benefit greatly. But maybe like you said it is something he just can't do.

Also, I shouldn't say contact approach as that implies you just trying to make contact. A better way of phrasing it would be a hit the ball hard where it is pitched, and protect with two strikes (not try and still drop bombs) approach.

It's all hypotheticals and theory anyways, but I just don't think it would end well. Takes him a long time to get the bat through the zone, real long arms, not great bat control. This isn't Paul Konerko who, when healthy, has great bat control and speed and can hit the ball better.

I would like to see him go with the ball more, but he's been better about that lately and, really, he is the kind of guy who can honestly hit a ball on the outer half of the plate over the fence in right field. Long, long arms, long bat, country strong.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
Making more contact =! trying to hit for contact

I think he's seeing the ball better and he's hitting the ball better, but I don't think he's trying to hit for a higher average by any stretch of the imagination.

Dude, he was hitting around .160. There is no question he was trying to hit for a higher average. He's using LF a ton more than he ever has, at least as a White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
Dude, he was hitting around .160. There is no question he was trying to hit for a higher average.

Well we heard early in the year how he was going to try swinging early in the count to try and hit homers and get more base hits, and that's what he ended up with. He went back to his old philosophy of waiting on pitches, drawing walks if necessary, and hitting the crap out of the ball, and he started performing better. I don't think it's a coincidence.