Rotation changed.....

Rex Hudler

Mark Buehrle, who coasted to the victory in Saturday night's 13-2 rout of Texas, will be pushed back in the rotation to Friday at Detroit to give him an extra day's rest. Rookie Neal Cotts, who won his first big-league game Friday night, will get the call for Thursday's game against the Yankees.

Sox manager Jerry Manuel said Buehrle was feeling all right Saturday, "but not quite like he would like to feel. At this time of the year, if we have an opportunity to give him an extra day, we can probably take advantage of that."

Manuel Prescribes Rest Day for Buehrle

As much as i whould like to see are big 3 go agaisnt the Yanks, I think its a good call to give Mark the extra day. In the stretch run you need to guys to be healthy and ready. On the other side of the table you can say that we need to win every game and Mark should go against the Yanks. You can look at it either way, but IMO Jerry made the right call.

I agree with JM's move here. IF MB needs the extra day of rest, give it to him. Cotts gets a REAL test, on the road, against a very good team. I cant wait to see how he does. :headbang

I am also VERY excited to see how Neil fairs. I just dont want people on the board jumping all over him if he gets rocked. But he wont, so i wont worry about it. :D

Oh he probably will get rocked, but so did most other Rookie pitchers facing this type of situation. If he throws a gem, it could be a HUGE confidence booster. :)

I'm kind of worried about this move. Buehrle was pulled rather early last night, and I thought that JM's intentions of doing that was to give him enough rest so he could go Thursday. I hope Cotts doesn't let any nervousness get the best of him...This could ruin him...I hope he does well so that he can have a confidence boost.

I'm kind of worried about this move.  Buehrle was pulled rather early last night, and I thought that JM's intentions of doing that was to give him enough rest so he could go Thursday.  I hope Cotts doesn't let any nervousness get the best of him...This could ruin him...I hope he does well so that he can have a confidence boost.

Gotta see what a guy is made of...........

Wouldn't hurt if we could take the first two of the series, however.....

Gotta see what a guy is made of...........

Wouldn't hurt if we could take the first two of the series, however.....

I was thinking that too, Rex. Also, If we can manage two wins in NY, it would feel great having MB open up in Detroit. I think it will work out just fine.

I'm kind of worried about this move.  Buehrle was pulled rather early last night, and I thought that JM's intentions of doing that was to give him enough rest so he could go Thursday.  I hope Cotts doesn't let any nervousness get the best of him...This could ruin him...I hope he does well so that he can have a confidence boost.

I don't know what Mark's pitch count was for that game, but I'd guess that 17 pitch at bat by Palmeiro contributed to Mark only going 6 innings.

agreed.

need to take one of the first two in new york.

the yankees are a veteran lineup who will work the heck out of the count against Cotts and make him throw his breaking ball for strikes. Otherwise, they'll sit on the fastball all day long, especially guys like Bernie Williams and Posada.

The good news is that it's usually better to be a left-handed pitcher in Yankee Stadium. Just hope Cotts doesn't get too geeked the way he did in Anaheim. Five or six walks against the Yankees is a recipe for disaster.

As for Buehrle, it's best to give him the time. He's not the kind of guy who asks for it, unless he needs it.

If the Sox could somehow sneak out of there with a series victory and have buehrle poised to pitch against the Tigers (who have six of their 32 wins against the Sox), that would be ideal.

This means we HAVE to beat one of Wells or Pettite in the first two games.  There is no way we can put the pressure of preventing a sweep in NY on a guy making his 4th career start.

Pettite pitches tonight doesn't he?

I thought we were up against Clemens, Wells and Mussina.

The Sox have had pretty good success against Wells, and Frank Thomas has just owned Mussina his whole career. If I remember correctly Frank has a lot of jacks off of Mussina.

We'll see what happends.

CWSOX45

The Sox have had pretty good success against Wells, and Frank Thomas has just owned Mussina his whole career. If I remember correctly Frank has a lot of jacks off of Mussina.

We'll see what happends.

CWSOX45

Yes. Andy pitches tonight. We won't face him.

We'll see what happends.

CWSOX45

Frank has cooled off against Mussina in recent years. In the early 90's he was hitting about .800 against him.

Danny Wright should start.

I really like how Cotts looked the other night but when every game counts, we could be in trouble. Unless Cotts reinvents himself in the next three days, Thursday could be a long game. As was pointed out in this thread. The Yankess will make him throw strikes and if he can't do that he will not last into the second. Mike Mussina is not going to give us much. This game looks like a disaster waiting to happen. The Yankees and Mariners are notorious for making pitchers worka dn throw strikes. Nothing agaisnt Neil he has done a nice job but he is over his head here. Detroit would have been good work for him.

I like the move for a couple of reasons.

#1 Against the NYY, Mark's chances are maybe 50-50 or slightly better. Against the Tigers he zooms up to 80 or 90% Why give the Tigers a chance against Neal?

#2 Which would shake Neal's confidence more getting beat by the best team in baseball or the worse? Which would boost his confidence more a quality start vs. the Yankees or against the "of course we beat them, they're the 2003 Tigers?" He can't lose confidence wise against the Yankees, he can only win. He can't win confidence wise with the Tigers, he can only lose.

#3 Sorry but we probably are not going to sweep the Yankees if the first two guys can't get a split we better turn it around in Detroit anyway no matter what game 3 brings.

Oh he probably will get rocked, but so did most other Rookie pitchers facing this type of situation.  If he throws a gem, it could be a HUGE confidence booster. :)

Yanks typically beat up on young pitchers, especially ones that don't throw strikes so I won't expect anything too much. But I know if Cotts is on, he'll shut em down.

Guest hotsoxchick1

rex is this a joke???? :huh: .. no for real is this a joke....... good ol jm...theres nothin like feeding david to the lions huh......geez us...... :rolleyes: cotts would be better used against the tigers than the yanks.. i have to agree with heather here... if he gets rocked it could definatley ruin him....and mind you i dont think wright is the answer against mussina either...i kinda figured that jm didnt let mark finish out the other day because he was giving him extra time to start resting up...well this will definately be an interesting finish to the yanks series thats for sure.....

The improtant thing for Neal will be to have a good start. If he can through the 1st 2 innings without giving up a run, he might do alright. It will settle his nerves a little, but if he starts walking them like in Anaheim, get him outta there. Those Yanks will certainly work the count, and I think his pitch count will prob. be quite high, so might be pulled by the 6th.