Chris Sale #16 in Overall Trade Value

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 07:18 PM)
Are you kidding me. I pray Rick Hanh is working the phones and placing calls on Sale. I wouldn't publicly shop him and say flood me with calls. But I would call a few teams in need of SP that you have a good relationship with and see if those select few would like to work out a package for Sale. I am talking the type of haul the Rangers got for Mark Texeria; Derek Holland, Neftali Feliz, Elvis Andrus. If Hahn can get that kind of package for Sale you 100% trade him, even though he has a team friendly deal. This team is bad and with no real talent in the minor leagues penciled in for roles with the big league club if you can get three for one here you do it. This team is a lot closer to a cubs like tear down and rebuild than they are to building around Sale to compete in the next 2-3 years. Sale is the one piece than can accelerate the tear down and rebuild ten fold.

I note that the actual key piece in the Tex deal, Saltalamaccia, you left out because he busted. The Rangers turned out because they got a bunch of lower level pieces for him and each of them has done decent, but hell...Andrus, Feliz, and Holland, I wouldn't be happy with that return for an actual ace pitcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
I note that the actual key piece in the Tex deal, Saltalamaccia, you left out because he busted. The Rangers turned out because they got a bunch of lower level pieces for him and each of them has done decent, but hell...Andrus, Feliz, and Holland, I wouldn't be happy with that return for an actual ace pitcher.

I agree. With Sale's contract, that would be a bad trade for the Sox. (And it was Matt Harrison, not Derek Holland)

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
Are you kidding me. I pray Rick Hanh is working the phones and placing calls on Sale. I wouldn't publicly shop him and say flood me with calls. But I would call a few teams in need of SP that you have a good relationship with and see if those select few would like to work out a package for Sale. I am talking the type of haul the Rangers got for Mark Texeria; Derek Holland, Neftali Feliz, Elvis Andrus. If Hahn can get that kind of package for Sale you 100% trade him, even though he has a team friendly deal. This team is bad and with no real talent in the minor leagues penciled in for roles with the big league club if you can get three for one here you do it. This team is a lot closer to a cubs like tear down and rebuild than they are to building around Sale to compete in the next 2-3 years. Sale is the one piece than can accelerate the tear down and rebuild ten fold.

Nope, not kidding. I hope Sale is on the White Sox for a very long time.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
The top 10:

10. CarGo

9. Goldschmidt

8. Stanton

7. Harvey

6. Posey

5. Longoria

4. McCutchen

3. Machado

2. Harper

1. Trout

Hard to argue, though Posey's megadeal scares me off as a catcher (and megadeals are scary in general)

I understand that this is just trade value and isn't based on anything contractual, but most of the top 10 are there simply because they are good young players. What this tells me is that FanGraphs believes McCutcheon has the best contract in the game and, as I seem to recall, Sale has the best contract among pitchers in the game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
I understand that this is just trade value and isn't based on anything contractual, but most of the top 10 are there simply because they are good young players. What this tells me is that FanGraphs believes McCutcheon has the best contract in the game and, as I seem to recall, Sale has the best contract among pitchers in the game.

I think that's right where Sale should fit in, and I'd bet that the only things holding Sale back are "not pitching in a major market" and "being quite skinny", which may or may not translate to an injury risk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
I think that's right where Sale should fit in, and I'd bet that the only things holding Sale back are "not pitching in a major market" and "being quite skinny", which may or may not translate to an injury risk.

I agree that it's a good spot for Sale. I think the biggest thing that's keeping him down on that list is the whole "being a pitcher." It's just hard to count on consistent success and health from pitchers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
Hard to argue, though Posey's megadeal scares me off as a catcher (and megadeals are scary in general)

I agree although I must admit that I never realized how good of a hitter Posey was, catcher or no catcher.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
I agree that it's a good spot for Sale. I think the biggest thing that's keeping him down on that list is the whole "being a pitcher." It's just hard to count on consistent success and health from pitchers.

And people are more worried about his health than most for whatever reason.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
And people are more worried about his health than most for whatever reason.

It's his mechanics. He puts lot of strain on his elbow with his whip-like, inverted W delivery, and his spine is off center, making it difficult to maintain balance as he strides. It's actually kind of amazing that he has such good control.