Pirates looking at Rios and Alexei

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
I think De Aza will fetch something good in return probably better than Rios. As far as Reed goes, I don't care about controllable years for a reliever, but that is what probably will add to his value. If they can get a better return for Reed than Crain they should do it.

I think you're on to something...trading pieces that aren't obvious. And especially if Hahn is targeting a young cornerstone, #3 hitter.

With our pitching we are 2-3 dominant bats from being a force. We could smash Detroit with 2 good bats.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
I think you're on to something...trading pieces that aren't obvious. And especially if Hahn is targeting a young cornerstone, #3 hitter.

With our pitching we are 2-3 dominant bats from being a force. We could smash Detroit with 2 good bats.

If they really want to get creative and can get that cornerstone #3 bat why not even make Erik Johnson (or Quintana) available? Point is Peavy, Rios, and Crain are only going to get you so much in return. To do this right they have to think outside the box.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)

I completely agree. I can honestly say I trust Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Danks and Johnson as the rotation next year. That is a very solid rotation to build off of. Getting young quality bats in trades will certainly help this team.

I'm 21 years old, and this is the first time that the Sox are considered "selling" at the deadline and I absolutely love it. I want Hahn to build around the rotation and get young hitting talent in this system and with the big club. I'm very excited. Don't disappoint Hahn.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
If they really want to get creative and can get that cornerstone #3 bat why not even make Erik Johnson (or Quintana) available? Point is Peavy, Rios, and Crain are only going to get you so much in return. To do this right they have to think outside the box.

If it brings you the right player, I have no problem making Quintana available, but it better be a blockbuster type trade. He's a LH starting pitcher under 25, half a decade from free agency, putting up ERA's in the mid-3's in a pitchers park. He has one of the top 20 or so best ERA's in the AL and it's only his 2nd season above A ball. He's basically already a number 2 starter.

Basically we ought to be getting one of the top offensive prospects in baseball back for him, plus additional guys, to make it worth it. I seriously doubt anyone's going to give up that kind of value for a starting pitcher at this point, but I'd listen if it was offered.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
If it brings you the right player, I have no problem making Quintana available, but it better be a blockbuster type trade. He's a LH starting pitcher under 25, half a decade from free agency, putting up ERA's in the mid-3's in a pitchers park. He has one of the top 20 or so best ERA's in the AL and it's only his 2nd season above A ball. He's basically already a number 2 starter.

Basically we ought to be getting one of the top offensive prospects in baseball back for him, plus additional guys, to make it worth it. I seriously doubt anyone's going to give up that kind of value for a starting pitcher at this point, but I'd listen if it was offered.

I agree with Balta. Quintana has shown major improvements from last year, throwing his pitches at different speeds, hitting his spots better and keeping batters off balance. Mix in a righty with Sale, Quintana and Santiago who I think has the 2nd best stuff on the staff is scary good.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
I think the return for Rios will ultimately be underwhelming therefore I think the Sox should seriously consider dealing Reed as a way to improve the overall talent haul they get back at the deadline. Guys I would like to see gone:

Crain

Lindstrom

Peavy

Rios

Ramirez

Dunn

De Aza

Reed

Marty if this happens it will be a really fun two weeks. I am completely on board with trading Addison Reed. I like Reed a lot, but if they can get a great return for him they have to do it. If the White Sox trust their scouting then they may think that they can use Daniel Webb or Petricka as the closer at some point. I am always a fan of selling high on young closers.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Marty if this happens it will be a really fun two weeks. I am completely on board with trading Addison Reed. I like Reed a lot, but if they can get a great return for him they have to do it. If the White Sox trust their scouting then they may think that they can use Daniel Webb or Petricka as the closer at some point. I am always a fan of selling high on young closers.

I'm of the same mindset, We should be moving through everyone in our bullpen sans jones. I'm confident in the sox ability to develop pitching its major league hitters that have been our bane.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)

Yea. I think we have to trade Addison. Wasn't he throwing 97 when he first came up? Either way, bailey just went down, now's the time to cash in before he is exposed.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
Yea. I think we have to trade Addison. Wasn't he throwing 97 when he first came up? Either way, bailey just went down, now's the time to cash in before he is exposed.

Here's his velocity chart. Doesn't look like there's any real consistent trend other than him getting tired at the end of 2012 which we all saw. He might well be getting stronger as this year goes on.

10586_P_FA_20130713.png

•It'll be interesting to see what the White Sox get for Alex Rios if they decide to deal him. Position players are usually easier to move in the winter and clubs view his deal differently. He earns $12.5MM per season through 2014 with a $13.5MM club option for 2015. On one hand, that's a reasonable price tag for someone who hits 20 homers, gets 20 steals, and can play outstanding defense. On the other, as recently as 2011, he had a .613 OPS. For the White Sox to make a worthwhile deal, they may have to throw in prospects and cash.

per Ken Rosenthal

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
•It'll be interesting to see what the White Sox get for Alex Rios if they decide to deal him. Position players are usually easier to move in the winter and clubs view his deal differently. He earns $12.5MM per season through 2014 with a $13.5MM club option for 2015. On one hand, that's a reasonable price tag for someone who hits 20 homers, gets 20 steals, and can play outstanding defense. On the other, as recently as 2011, he had a .613 OPS. For the White Sox to make a worthwhile deal, they may have to throw in prospects and cash.

per ken rosenthal

Prospects and cash? Not a chance. I can see just cash

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
Here's his velocity chart. Doesn't look like there's any real consistent trend other than him getting tired at the end of 2012 which we all saw. He might well be getting stronger as this year goes on.

10586_P_FA_20130713.png

Man nice find with that velocity chart. Looks like a bit of a negative slope if anything. Do you attribute that to decline or the old "learning how to pitch rather than throw" Bobby Jenks excuse.

Something about relievers and their fastballs wear down fast IMO, not all of them but some. I wonder if there are any studies into that or if it's just Jerksticks science talkin.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 07:36 PM)
Man nice find with that velocity chart. Looks like a bit of a negative slope if anything. Do you attribute that to decline or the old "learning how to pitch rather than throw" Bobby Jenks excuse.

Something about relievers and their fastballs wear down fast IMO, not all of them but some. I wonder if there are any studies into that or if it's just Jerksticks science talkin.

I think Reed tired out clearly last year, hence his terrible second half. And is getting stronger as this year goes on.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like an Alexei and De Aza deal to Pittsburgh makes a whole lot more sense. The only hitch in such a trade is that it might force Marte to move to RF (where I would assume he would have been put to begin with since he has a strong arm, but perhaps the Pirates saw more value in having his plus speed and range play in LF), but it might be worth it since De Aza adds a productive LF bat to the lineup, and Ramirez seems like a perfect fit for the Pirates needs at SS.

Whatever package it ends up being, I still view the Pirates as one of the top trading partners this deadline. Here's to hoping them losing a few games on the Cards in the next ten days, perhaps forcing them to get nervous and make a deal.

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 08:16 PM)
Here's the general consensus Jerksticks.... seems like your expression is indeed the minority.

Looking_Back_-_Soxtalk.com-20130720-1514

Now now now hi8is I feel ya but you have to understand that the White Sox had a chance to win every year at the deadline but 2007. There was no rebuilding option. Recognizing the aging core, I think he did a good job of infusing youth and staying competitive. The problem is the big moves didn't work out right but I can't fault KW for making these:

Vazquez trade looked awesome. Flowers was absolutely destroying baseballs and AJ had a few more years. Coulda been a masterpiece of a deal.

Signing Viciedo. Dude also destroyed baseballs in a changing climate where power was going away.

Trading for Swisher. He was supposed to be a nice OBP plus power cornerstone to build around but screwed us.

I can't fault him for any of these but if the first two played as advertised we'd be an unstoppable force with a lineup of say dr Aza, Beckham, Tank, Flowers, PK, Dunn, Rios just murdering pitching for the next decade. Oh my, lets not forget TCQ.

Edited by Jerksticks

Pirates have lost 3 in a row now, Pirates now only 2 games up on the Reds for 2nd in that division. Texas have lost 2 straight. And the Red Sox are only 1.5 on Rays and 4 up on O's. Things are going to get interesting and one of these teams is going to get desperate.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
Now now now hi8is I feel ya but you have to understand that the White Sox had a chance to win every year at the deadline but 2007. There was no rebuilding option. Recognizing the aging core, I think he did a good job of infusing youth and staying competitive. The problem is the big moves didn't work out right but I can't fault KW for making these:

Vazquez trade looked awesome. Flowers was absolutely destroying baseballs and AJ had a few more years. Coulda been a masterpiece of a deal.

Signing Viciedo. Dude also destroyed baseballs in a changing climate where power was going away.

Trading for Swisher. He was supposed to be a nice OBP plus power cornerstone to build around but screwed us.

I can't fault him for any of these but if the first two played as advertised we'd be an unstoppable force with a lineup of say dr Aza, Beckham, Tank, Flowers, PK, Dunn, Rios just murdering pitching for the next decade. Oh my, lets not forget TCQ.

I'm not anti Kenny Williams... I just can't agree that his mode of operation was retooling and rebuilding.

Contreras / Loiza was awesome.

McCarthy / Danks was great timing.

Quentin was one of my favorites.

I was all for Thome for Gio/Rowand.

Swisher ( both trades ) was god awful.

Vazquez amounted in absolutely nothing.

He had a lot of hits but his misses where pretty devastating... And he most certainly did not have a focus on rebuilding the farm. To Kenny, the farm was a trade Petri dish.

Um. Really hope this isn't accurate. Martinez would be incredible for Alexei. Hell, Sickels has him as 9th best prospect in baseball on his newly released top 75.

The Sox are listening to proposals. They turned down a deal involving pitcher Carlos Martinez, the Cardinals third-highest rated prospect, for shortstop Alexei Ramirez, according to a scouting source.

Martinez, 21, is 4-2 with a 2.05 ERA in 11 starts at Double-A Springfield and Triple-A Memphis. Martinez, who possesses a fastball in the high-90s mph range, has struck out 44 hitters in 52 innings.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3745533.story

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:21 PM)
Um. Really hope this isn't accurate. Martinez would be incredible for Alexei. Hell, Sickels has him as 9th best prospect in baseball on his newly released top 75.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3745533.story

I don't believe that one bit. If so then Hahn is an idiot. Top of the rotation pitcher that could be ready next year. Him and Sale at the top of the rotation would be awesome.