Pirates looking at Rios and Alexei

justBLAZE

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:27 AM)
I don't believe that one bit. If so then Hahn is an idiot. Top of the rotation pitcher that could be ready next year. Him and Sale at the top of the rotation would be awesome.

Agreed, I don't see that being true. However, the good news is if it is true, it means he's available in possible packages with the Sox.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 11:21 PM)
Um. Really hope this isn't accurate. Martinez would be incredible for Alexei. Hell, Sickels has him as 9th best prospect in baseball on his newly released top 75.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3745533.story

Reasons to decline this trade: had to pay most of remaining salary as others have stated. Package him with Peavy or Rios and get a larger return. Decline that to make teams think there could be a bidding war for him. There are better offers on the table for Alexei and Hahn just asks the Cards to improve their offer. Hopefully its the last one.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 12:47 AM)
Apparently Martinez has had arm injuries? Anyone else confirm that?

Some shoulder tendinitis last year but that hasn't seemed to slow him down one bit. That wouldn't stop me one bit if the deal was for Lexi, that risk is worth it beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Edited by scs787

If this is true Hahn has some balls, Martinez is an excellent looking top of the rotation arm, that gets questioned because of his stature and i hadn't read about the shoulder tendinitis.

Don't forget this is more or less Hahn 1st dance with chips at the deadline. He's being tested by other GM's. He has to show some balls , be tough, be inflexible, play it close to the vest, bluff, then accept begrudgingly. He won't come away empty handed.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 05:43 AM)
If there's any truth to this report, it just goes to show how much of a seller's market it truly is.

Which is why I'll be pissed if we don't trade Peavy, Rios, Alexei, Crain, Lindstrom, and De Aza. Throw in Danks, Dunn, and Keppinger if anyone wants them.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 06:13 AM)
Which is why I'll be pissed if we don't trade Peavy, Rios, Alexei, Crain, Lindstrom, and De Aza. Throw in Danks, Dunn, and Keppinger if anyone wants them.

I completely agree on the first group of players. If you can get good value for them, you move them now and then fill some needs in free agency. We have an opportunity to take advantage of an imperfect market, which could really accelerate our rebuilding process if handled correctly.

I'm also cool with dumping Dunn & Keppinger to clear salary, but I'd hold on to Danks. I really like a rotation of Sale, Danks, Quintana, Santiago, & Johnson going forward. Hopefully we can add some serious offensive talent in the next 8 days to complement the pitching staff we already have in place.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 06:36 AM)
I completely agree on the first group of players. If you can get good value for them, you move them now and then fill some needs in free agency. We have an opportunity to take advantage of an imperfect market, which could really accelerate our rebuilding process if handled correctly.

I'm also cool with dumping Dunn & Keppinger to clear salary, but I'd hold on to Danks. I really like a rotation of Sale, Danks, Quintana, Santiago, & Johnson going forward. Hopefully we can add some serious offensive talent in the next 8 days to complement the pitching staff we already have in place.

I honestly think Danks, Dunn, and Keppinger are all gone this offseason. Power has become a premium once again and Dunn will only have one year. A rebuilding team has no need for a utility player like Kepp, but a contender might. Danks will be a pitcher entering his prime that might catch the eye of a contender.

I want Danks to be replaced by a high upside RHP prospect that we hopefully get through trade. I just don't like four lefties.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
I honestly think Danks, Dunn, and Keppinger are all gone this offseason. Power has become a premium once again and Dunn will only have one year. A rebuilding team has no need for a utility player like Kepp, but a contender might. Danks will be a pitcher entering his prime that might catch the eye of a contender.

I want Danks to be replaced by a high upside RHP prospect that we hopefully get through trade. I just don't like four lefties.

I'm thinking the sox trade Santiago in the offseason for a key position player (s), that can start in 2014. Danks isn't a guy to dump, especially if Peavy is gone. He'll rebound.

The sox 1-3 of Sale, Quintana and Danks still looks nice. Santiago should have great value and return a key guy to build around.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 06:52 AM)
I'm thinking the sox trade Santiago in the offseason for a key position player (s), that can start in 2014. Danks isn't a guy to dump, especially if Peavy is gone. He'll rebound.

The sox 1-3 of Sale, Quintana and Danks still looks nice. Santiago should have great value and return a key guy to build around.

Other than walks, Santiago has been better than Danks across the board. He's cheaper, younger, and healthier. I'd rather the Sox keep him over Danks.

Having the 3 lefties in your rotation as Sale, Q, and Santiago looks amazing for the next five years. Then throw in Johnson, even better. If the Sox can get a high upside RHP starter prospect...then you have a cheap, young rotation with a legitimate ace headlining it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:04 AM)
Other than walks, Santiago has been better than Danks across the board. He's cheaper, younger, and healthier. I'd rather the Sox keep him over Danks.

Having the 3 lefties in your rotation as Sale, Q, and Santiago looks amazing for the next five years. Then throw in Johnson, even better. If the Sox can get a high upside RHP starter prospect...then you have a cheap, young rotation with a legitimate ace headlining it.

I agree with your logic, I just think we should hold on to Danks for another season and let him rebuild his value. By next year's deadline he may be worth some actual talent. Right now, I don't think you'd get more than salary relief.

Regardless, this is a great problem to have.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)

Danks has no trade value. Yet he is a great bet to return to his prior form, next year, Which is a higher upside than Santiago.

Santiago has far more trade value than Danks. Even after this deadline, and the sox manage good returns from Peavy, et al, the sox offense will still need to improve to contend in 2014-which the sox probably can with the right moves. A Santiago trade could net the pieces to make that possible, without killing the SP. Dumping Danks at his all time lowest value makes no sense, unless the sox just want to cut costs.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Danks has no trade value. Yet he is a great bet to return to his prior form, next year, Which is a higher upside than Santiago.

Santiago has far more trade value than Danks. Even after this deadline, and the sox manage good returns from Peavy, et al, the sox offense will still need to improve to contend in 2014-which the sox probably can with the right moves. A Santiago trade could net the pieces to make that possible, without killing the SP. Dumping Danks at his all time lowest value makes no sense, unless the sox just want to cut costs.

It frees up 45 million dollars to spend elsewhere, which anyone should want over the risk of seeing if John Danks can ever be decent again.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
It frees up 45 million dollars to spend elsewhere, which anyone should want over the risk of seeing if John Danks can ever be decent again.

No team would take Danks, even if you wanted to dump him-which I don't. But he's shown flashes of returning to form. If he keeps like he has the rest of 2013, there's no reason he can't return to his "old" self.

The key is how to best fix the roster, without gutting key pieces. Quintana has shown he's the real deal. These deadlines deals won't do it by themselves. IMO, Santiago could bring back the piece (s) to finish the rebuild, retool, whatever. Danks rebounding next year could make him the Peavy of this deadline.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
team would take Danks, even if you wanted to dump him-which I don't. But he's shown flashes of returning to form. If he keeike he has the rest of 201here's no reason he can't return to his "old" self.

The key is how to best fix the roster, without gutting key pieces. Quintana has shown he's the real deal. These deadlines deals won't do it by themselves. IMO, Santiago could bring back the piece (s) to finish the rebuild, retool, whatever. Danks rebounding next year could make him the Peavy of this deadline.

I agree no team is taking Danks unfortunately.

I really really don't want us to trade Santiago though. I had this argument yesterday but what he has done in his first 17 starts with his ERA and elite strikeout rate is nothing short of top prospect material. If our defense gets better and he develops a little more, we are talking ace material. I cant see how we possibly get fair value for him

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:04 AM)

My preference would be to trade Quintana or Danks. If this isn't a rebuild, but a retool to contend soon, we're going to have to craft some trades like we saw in the old days to bring veterans in here, hopefully youngish ones. Quintana would have value. Santiago I think hasn't put it together and we'd be selling a little low. Danks is killed by the homers; but we're in a homer park, and other teams might be able to discount those homer totals.