Why so quiet so far?

Big Hurtin

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
There is no debate that Peavy and Rios are better players with better contracts than Garza and Soriano

No but there is a debate as to whether a lot of the contenders can pay those future salaries. Peavy at $14.5 next year is below market value but it's still not a price that Arizona, Colorado, Baltimore, and some teams want to pay. Luckily, it sounds like Boston and St. Louis are involved. As far as Rios goes, while $12.5 million for him next year is market value, a team like Pittsburgh may have trouble taking that one. If the Sox are going to eat $$ then they need better players in return. I think that's what makes this so difficult. I do think we see action soon though. Hahn is not an idiot.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
No but there is a debate as to whether a lot of the contenders can pay those future salaries. Peavy at $14.5 next year is below market value but it's still not a price that Arizona, Colorado, Baltimore, and some teams want to pay. Luckily, it sounds like Boston and St. Louis are involved. As far as Rios goes, while $12.5 million for him next year is market value, a team like Pittsburgh may have trouble taking that one. If the Sox are going to eat $$ then they need better players in return. I think that's what makes this so difficult. I do think we see action soon though. Hahn is not an idiot.

Hahn has a golden opportunity here! I hope he doesn't squander this chance to rejuvenate our farm system. This team is bad, very bad! Regardless if this was his or KW's fault, he has a wonderful chance to start righting the ship. I understand that he does not want to be fleeced for the veterans on this roster. However, I do fear he may be overvaluing guys like Ramirez and Rios.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
I don't think the sox really have "multiple holes" to fill as of now, particularly since they now have a starting catcher. That could change within the week though.

Why not?

Just because we got an average at best catcher in the long run, and our pseudo lead off hitter is getting on a hot streak, but is still clueless on defense? I also do not believe Beckham is a long term solution just because his BABIP is at an unsustainable .370 clip, and he has sacrificed all his power in the process.

Yes, we don't have any glaring offensive weakness at this point, outside of third base. Gillaspie's offense just isn't going to cut it. The bigger issue is we don't have an above average offensive player at any position outside of Rios. A good offense would feature at least two all stars and one borderline all star. Rios is a borderline all star at best, and should be batting 5th or 6th in a good offense. By the way, none of our hitters have an OBP of over .800

From a typical lineup stand point, I would say we are missing a legit leadoff hitter, and legit number 3 and 4 hitters. Frankly they are the most important holes to fill.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
Why not?

Just because we got an average at best catcher in the long run, and our pseudo lead off hitter is getting on a hot streak, but is still clueless on defense? I also do not believe Beckham is a long term solution just because his BABIP is at an unsustainable .370 clip, and he has sacrificed all his power in the process.

Yes, we don't have any glaring offensive weakness at this point, outside of third base. Gillaspie's offense just isn't going to cut it. The bigger issue is we don't have an above average offensive player at any position outside of Rios. A good offense would feature at least two all stars and one borderline all star. Rios is a borderline all star at best, and should be batting 5th or 6th in a good offense. By the way, none of our hitters have an OBP of over .800

From a typical lineup stand point, I would say we are missing a legit leadoff hitter, and legit number 3 and 4 hitters. Frankly they are the most important holes to fill.

That's almost 2 times better than Bonds best year...you probably meant ops?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
Why not?

Our leadoff hitter is perhaps the strongest spot in our lineup

QUOTE (onedude @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:11 PM)
That's almost 2 times better than Bonds best year...you probably meant ops?

Oh no, you got me

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:11 PM)
Our leadoff hitter is perhaps the strongest spot in our lineup

He's a hitter acting as a leadoff hitter. An OBP in the .330's with little speed to boot, and who's becoming more and more home run happy isn't your ideal leadoff hitter, according to the traditional definition or the Joe Maddon definition. And I am probably discrediting him a little bit more than I should because I couldn't get over his -15 uzr/150 this year.