The hi8is Expret Trade Assessment

hi8is

My motto right now, so eloquently stated... Shall be a slogan for the next 11 days:

"Trade People, Suck More!!!"

Seriously. I want this team gutted with the likes of every Charolette fodder on the field losing as many games as humanly possible. For the first time I sincerely want this team to lose every possible game and have the worst record in baseball. Hell, I'm down to do it all again next year too.

Stock up and plan for 2015 - Trade People, Suck More!!!

The revolution has begun.

/vomit

And finally, for those long time soxtalkers wondering - no, I am not drinking again. :)

Just insanely bored with this awful devil laden excuse for a season.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
My motto right now, so eloquently stated... Shall be a slogan for the next 11 days:

"Trade People, Suck More!!!"

Seriously. I want this team gutted with the likes of every Charolette fodder on the field losing as many games as humanly possible. For the first time I sincerely want this team to lose every possible game and have the worst record in baseball. Hell, I'm down to do it all again next year too.

Stock up and plan for 2015 - Trade People, Suck More!!!

The revolution has begun.

/vomit

And finally, for those long time soxtalkers wondering - no, I am not drinking again. :)

Just insanely bored with this awful devil laden excuse for a season.

I don't think the #1 draft pick will mean anything close to how any upcoming trades go. A draft pick will start in low A ball and start the long climb towards the top. The Sox are looking to get guys close to the top already far removed from the buses of A ball.

I'm hoping the Sox go on a roll till the deadline upping everyones trade value as much as possible so we get as many talented pieces as possible. After that I hope whoever is left and who we got in trade kicks ass too. Upping their value for the off season or giving us hope they will produce next year.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
I don't think the #1 draft pick will mean anything close to how any upcoming trades go. A draft pick will start in low A ball and start the long climb towards the top. The Sox are looking to get guys close to the top already far removed from the buses of A ball.

I'm hoping the Sox go on a roll till the deadline upping everyones trade value as much as possible so we get as many talented pieces as possible. After that I hope whoever is left and who we got in trade kicks ass too. Upping their value for the off season or giving us hope they will produce next year.

Good perspective - it's hard for me not to become a prospect whore and want to start building from within while watching our beloved Sox flirt with a 100 loss season. :P

Thanks for talking me off the ledge but the Trade Peole, Suck More!!! campaign rolls on.

:P

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:15 PM)
Good perspective - it's hard for me not to become a prospect whore and want to start building from within while watching our beloved Sox flirt with a 100 loss season. :P

Thanks for talking me off the ledge but the Trade Peole, Suck More!!! campaign rolls on.

:P

Just from a lower ledge or perhaps a view from a 2nd floor window.

This complete rebuild strategy is interesting, however the organization does not have enough near ready talent in its farm system to completely rebuild a contender, any time soon.

What it does have is a lot of pretty good pitching depth. This season is a lost cause, but why couldn't they add a couple of pieces, and put together a pretty solid contender for next year?

A starting staff of Sale, Peavey, Santiago, Quintana and Danks does represent an unusually left handed weighted rotation, but it would be pretty solid.

Erik Johnson and Axelrod could provide some depth.

The reliever core has been very good, and they could piece together another effective bullpen for next season.

Therefore, why not use the money coming off the books for Konerko, and Thornton to acquire a solid left handed bat, and try to add another good right handed hitter? The offensive problem with this team is that they have not had a good middle of the order. Two decent hitters, one right and the other left handed, to replace Konerko and Dunn, in the middle of the order, could vastly improve the offense.

Dunn probably can't be traded, and with only one year left, after this season, it shouldn't be a big issue, as long as he doesn't have to hit in the middle of the order. He could actually be sufficiently productive, batting lower in the order. Hey, I'd take 40 homers and 100 RBI's from the 6TH or 7TH hitter in the order, wouldn't you, even if he can't hit over .200 and has an OBP under .350 ?

Move de Aza to left field, and bat him lower in the order. His OBP is not high enough for a lead off hitter. Another possibility would be to trade him.

Trade Ramirez for a legitimate leadoff hitter, who is a good defensive SS, and hopefully cheaper than the $9.5 Million he will cost next year. They may have to include another player in the trade, but even a veteran would be fine, until Anderson is ready, some time around 2015.

Dump Keppinger and his contract, and go with Gillaspie and Morel at 3RD, perhaps platooned.

Keep Beckham, and hope that Micah Johnson will be ready when Gordon starts making the big money.

Rios is fine until some of the young outfielders are ready. Maybe Hawkins, Jacobs or Thompson can replace him, but not for a couple more years.

Gillaspie is a good fit at 3RD, at least against RHP. He's young enough to still be around for the rebuild after next season.

Let Phegley and Flowers fight it out for the catching slot.

Viciedo is big question. If he's not ready to be a big offensive contributor, they have got to replace him with someone who is.

Find a productive hitting Centerfielder (did I hear someone whisper Grady Sizemore? Shhh, it wasn't me)

Sign another middle of the order hitter, probably to replace Paulie at 1B. Kendry Morales comes to mind and is a switch hitter. His home run production would likely rise at the Cell.

One possible Lineup:

SS New defensive and decent OBP acquisition

2B Beckham

RF Rios

CF True middle of the order hitter (Grady Sizemore)

1B Left handed hitting, prototypical middle of the order hitter. Kendry Morales would work, and is a switch hitter.

DH Dunn/Viciedo platoon

C Phegley

3B Gillaspie/Morel platoon

LF De Aza or Viciedo

If there are better choices than Sizemore and Morales, fine. The concept is to keep the contender ready pitching, and acquire the middle of the order offense, required to compete. If you sign two middle of the order hitters and trade for the lead off hitter/SS, it looks realistically feasible to me.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 07:20 AM)
This complete rebuild strategy is interesting, however the organization does not have enough near ready talent in its farm system to completely rebuild a contender, any time soon.

What it does have is a lot of pretty good pitching depth. This season is a lost cause, but why couldn't they add a couple of pieces, and put together a pretty solid contender for next year?

A starting staff of Sale, Peavey, Santiago, Quintana and Danks does represent an unusually left handed weighted rotation, but it would be pretty solid.

Erik Johnson and Axelrod could provide some depth.

The reliever core has been very good, and they could piece together another effective bullpen for next season.

Therefore, why not use the money coming off the books for Konerko, and Thornton to acquire a solid left handed bat, and try to add another good right handed hitter? The offensive problem with this team is that they have not had a good middle of the order. Two decent hitters, one right and the other left handed, to replace Konerko and Dunn, in the middle of the order, could vastly improve the offense.

Dunn probably can't be traded, and with only one year left, after this season, it shouldn't be a big issue, as long as he doesn't have to hit in the middle of the order. He could actually be sufficiently productive, batting lower in the order. Hey, I'd take 40 homers and 100 RBI's from the 6TH or 7TH hitter in the order, wouldn't you, even if he can't hit over .200 and has an OBP under .350 ?

Move de Aza to left field, and bat him lower in the order. His OBP is not high enough for a lead off hitter. Another possibility would be to trade him.

Trade Ramirez for a legitimate leadoff hitter, who is a good defensive SS, and hopefully cheaper than the $9.5 Million he will cost next year. They may have to include another player in the trade, but even a veteran would be fine, until Anderson is ready, some time around 2015.

Dump Keppinger and his contract, and go with Gillaspie and Morel at 3RD, perhaps platooned.

Keep Beckham, and hope that Micah Johnson will be ready when Gordon starts making the big money.

Rios is fine until some of the young outfielders are ready. Maybe Hawkins, Jacobs or Thompson can replace him, but not for a couple more years.

Gillaspie is a good fit at 3RD, at least against RHP. He's young enough to still be around for the rebuild after next season.

Let Phegley and Flowers fight it out for the catching slot.

Viciedo is big question. If he's not ready to be a big offensive contributor, they have got to replace him with someone who is.

Find a productive hitting Centerfielder (did I hear someone whisper Grady Sizemore? Shhh, it wasn't me)

Sign another middle of the order hitter, probably to replace Paulie at 1B. Kendry Morales comes to mind and is a switch hitter. His home run production would likely rise at the Cell.

One possible Lineup:

SS New defensive and decent OBP acquisition

2B Beckham

RF Rios

CF True middle of the order, left handed hitter (Grady Sizemore)

1B Another prototypical middle of the order hitter. Kendry Morales would work, and is a switch hitter.

DH Dunn/Viciedo platoon

C Phegley

3B Gillaspie/Morel platoon

LF De Aza or Viciedo

If there are better choices than Sizemore and Morales, fine. The concept is to keep the contender ready pitching, and acquire the middle of the order offense, required to compete. If you sign two middle of the order hitters and trade for the lead off hitter/SS, it looks realistically feasible to me.

Hahaha I thought the Grady Sizemore thing was finally over.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
Hahaha I thought the Grady Sizemore thing was finally over.

Hey, Hoynsie: What do you hear about Grady Sizemore? Is he still rehabbing in Arizona? -- Jim Koch, Norwalk

Hey, Jim: I recently talked to Sizemore's agent. He said he's still working out and has had no setbacks, but that he hasn't auditioned for any teams.

That's from 2 days ago. He's able to work out now! I mean, come on, if a guy can work out he could have played 3 months ago.

The way that whole post was laid out was legitimately funny. It reminded me of the first couple times South Park did the Loch Ness Monster/Tree-Fiddy bit. Each time, there has to be more build up -- a bunch of content that seems plausible implying a return to contention with a few simple acquisitions and then - WHAM - awwww it was that gol-durned GRADY SIZEMORE again askin to be a legitimate middle of the order threat! I'm like GET OUTTA HEAH YOU DANG GRADY SIZEMORE WE AINT GIVIN YOU NO $3.5M TO BE ON THE DL

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
The way that whole post was laid out was legitimately funny. It reminded me of the first couple times South Park did the Loch Ness Monster/Tree-Fiddy bit. Each time, there has to be more build up -- a bunch of content that seems plausible implying a return to contention with a few simple acquisitions and then - WHAM - awwww it was that gol-durned GRADY SIZEMORE again askin to be a legitimate middle of the order threat! I'm like GET OUTTA HEAH YOU DANG GRADY SIZEMORE WE AINT GIVIN YOU NO $3.5M TO BE ON THE DL

for the motherf***ing win

I knew that it was a mistake to mention Sizemore. Look, that just happens to be my preference for what might be an affordable solution to finding one of the two decent bats, without a long term contract. He will surely want to sign for no more than all of 2014, and hope to prove himself, so that he can sign a better long term deal. That could suit the Sox, if they are only looking for a way to compete next year. The point is; if you don't think he could help, suggest someone else. It doesn't matter who it is, as long as he can contribute, and it won't require a long term commitment. Suggest someone.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
I knew that it was a mistake to mention Sizemore. Look, that just happens to be my preference for what might be an affordable solution to finding one of the two decent bats, without a long term contract. He will surely want to sign for no more than all of 2014, and hope to prove himself, so that he can sign a better long term deal. That could suit the Sox

You said all of this in the offseason, and through April and May, and the guy still hasn't signed or played with any team. You can't trust this guy. He is fragile.

I'm not gonna suggest someone right now because I have no idea who is available

I knew that it was a mistake to mention Sizemore. Look, that just happens to be my preference for what might be an affordable solution to finding one of the two decent bats, without a long term contract. He will surely want to sign for no more than all of 2014, and hope to prove himself, so that he can sign a better long term deal. That could suit the Sox, if they are only looking for a way to compete next year. The point is; if you don't think he could help, suggest someone else. It doesn't matter who it is, as long as he can contribute, and it won't require a long term commitment. Suggest someone.

Why can't it require a long-term commitment? I'd like to create Robo-Bonds and start him at age 21 and sign him to a 14 year contract, but that is out of the realm of possibility.

My personal suggestion at this point is Kendrys Morales because I know he's scheduled to be a free agent, but he may not make it to that point. Thus, I have no idea.

If they signed Sizemore, and it was to a minor league deal, I wouldn't be opposed, but anything more than that is too much. Penciling him into the cleanup spot is more than silly though.

That's the problem with the whole thing -- I can't suggest someone. There isn't a legitimate middle of the order left-handed bat that can handle CF other than Choo, who we won;t be able to afford.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
That's the problem with the whole thing -- I can't suggest someone. There isn't a legitimate middle of the order left-handed bat that can handle CF other than Choo, who we won;t be able to afford.

Why? We've got a ton of money to spend just to get back to this year's payroll, let alone the new revenue from the national TV deal.

It might not be the best way to spend that money, particularly if the team wants Thompson taking over CF in 2015 or something like that, but the money is there to do it if that's the way we want to go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
Why? We've got a ton of money to spend just to get back to this year's payroll, let alone the new revenue from the national TV deal.

It might not be the best way to spend that money, particularly if the team wants Thompson taking over CF in 2015 or something like that, but the money is there to do it if that's the way we want to go.

I bet you he gets $15m a year.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
I bet you he gets $15m a year.

The Sox could afford that easily and I'd bet he gets more than that.

It might not be the best use of resources of course, but right now the Sox have $85 million or so committed for next season and a payroll of $116 million this year. Getting back to the same payroll as this season requires spending over $30 million.