Tigers interested in Reed?

Knackattack

"9. Addison Reed, RHP, White Sox — Reed is available, though the price will be much steeper than it was for Matt Thornton, or will be for Jesse Crain once he’s ready to pitch after being on the DL. Reed could draw interest from a number of teams needing a closer or late-inning reliever. There’s been a lot of speculation about the Tigers being a player for him, but would GM Rick Hahn deal him to a division rival? All indications are he would if the return was decent."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/07/...gL7I/story.html

What kind of return would you want from the division rival?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
"9. Addison Reed, RHP, White Sox — Reed is available, though the price will be much steeper than it was for Matt Thornton, or will be for Jesse Crain once he’s ready to pitch after being on the DL. Reed could draw interest from a number of teams needing a closer or late-inning reliever. There’s been a lot of speculation about the Tigers being a player for him, but would GM Rick Hahn deal him to a division rival? All indications are he would if the return was decent."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/07/...gL7I/story.html

What kind of return would you want from the division rival?

It would have to be way more than anyone else would offer.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
Castellanos. I don't understand the Avisail love at all.

He showed more power this year in the majors, and he has absolutely destroyed AAA. Castellanos would be fine with me as well :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
He showed more power this year in the majors, and he has absolutely destroyed AAA. Castellanos would be fine with me as well :)

f*** it, we'll take both

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Castellanos. I don't understand the Avisail love at all.

Neither do I. His plate discipline numbers are atrocious, even for AAA. Not a fan. I'm not sure if the Tigers would deal Castellanos for a good, not great closer. Even one under team control like Reed. Though it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by maxjusttyped

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
I think it'd be wrong to trade him to the Tigers. Just find a team in another division to deal him to if the Sox have to move him.

We don't "have to move him" by any stretch of the imagination. The only good reason to move him is if some team offers a ton for him, so much so that it would be dumb to say no. The Tigers are one team we could conceive of doing that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
We don't "have to move him" by any stretch of the imagination. The only good reason to move him is if some team offers a ton for him, so much so that it would be dumb to say no. The Tigers are one team we could conceive of doing that.

I'd want four can't-miss prospects and one or two of them really really really great players to give Detroit an automatic division title and likely WS like that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
I'd want four can't-miss prospects and one or two of them really really really great players to give Detroit an automatic division title and likely WS like that.

LOL, an "automatic division title and likely WS" from trading for a closer?

You're joking right, you have to know more about baseball than that.

I don't care who we trade him to. Whoever offers the most and the most must be a lot. Castellanos would work fine.

We lost out on Veritek and Lowe because of that sorry philosophy of not helping a team in your league...Boston go those two for 1/3 of the value we sent to SF for, essentially, Foulke and Howry.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
I don't care who we trade him to. Whoever offers the most and the most must be a lot. Castellanos would work fine.

We lost out on Veritek and Lowe because of that sorry philosophy of not helping a team in your league...Boston go those two for 1/3 of the value we sent to SF for, essentially, Foulke and Howry.

Wtf??!! Those trades happened 16 years ago! And the philosophy is "don't trade within your division", not league. The Sox have made plenty of trades within the American League, both before and after the White Flag trade

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
Wtf??!! Those trades happened 16 years ago! And the philosophy is "don't trade within your division", not league. The Sox have made plenty of trades within the American League, both before and after the White Flag trade

I don't care if it was 160 years ago - it's a bad philosophy. And that is precisely why we dealt with the Giants then instead of stealing from the desperate Mariners.

If you have to deal with Detroit, deal with Detroit. Yea, we'll have to look at Reed for a while...they'll have to look at Castellanos.

And while I never heard Williams say he wouldn't sell to the AL or to our division, he rarely did and only once to a contender as I recall (Durham to Oakland). The other time was E Jax to non-contender Toronto. But he rarely sold in July anyway, so that may not mean much.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
The problem with this is that Castellanos is too much for Reed, but the Tigers don't have anything else that's worth him.

I guess he is, based on how teams value elite prospects...higher than above average major leaguers.

We could throw in another player...hell throw in Crain, although they'd probably have to add something on their side. It would be nice to get an elite prospect somwhere, instead of all Bs.