Tigers interested in Reed?

Knackattack

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
I guess he is, based on how teams value elite prospects...higher than above average major leaguers.

We could throw in another player...hell throw in Crain, although they'd probably have to add something on their side. It would be nice to get an elite prospect somwhere, instead of all Bs.

You'd have to add a LOT more to make "throwing in" Crain make sense. Lindstrom might be closer to somebody that could be called a throw in.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
The problem with this is that Castellanos is too much for Reed, but the Tigers don't have anything else that's worth him.

If the White Sox don't get "too much" back for Addison Reed, who is young, effective, and years away from being expensive, then there's zero reason to trade him.

If Reed is traded, people should say "man, why did that team give up that prospect for a closer". If that's not the reaction, then Reed should not be traded.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
If the White Sox don't get "too much" back for Addison Reed, who is young, effective, and years away from being expensive, then there's zero reason to trade him.

If Reed is traded, people should say "man, why did that team give up that prospect for a closer". If that's not the reaction, then Reed should not be traded.

Agree 100%. There's no reason to move Reed unless you get a ton back for him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
You'd have to add a LOT more to make "throwing in" Crain make sense. Lindstrom might be closer to somebody that could be called a throw in.

Maybe...I think a healthy Crain brings a B prospect or 2. Not as much as we'd like.

I think Nate Jones is getting close to Reed, and may surpass him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)

Oh, definitely. I'm just saying that's why this isn't a good fit.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
I don't care if it was 160 years ago - it's a bad philosophy. And that is precisely why we dealt with the Giants then instead of stealing from the desperate Mariners.

If you have to deal with Detroit, deal with Detroit. Yea, we'll have to look at Reed for a while...they'll have to look at Castellanos.

And while I never heard Williams say he wouldn't sell to the AL or to our division, he rarely did and only once to a contender as I recall (Durham to Oakland). The other time was E Jax to non-contender Toronto. But he rarely sold in July anyway, so that may not mean much.

Of course it is a bad philosophy, that is why nobody has it, including the white sox. Its funny that you put this "we wouldnt deal with the desperate mariners" onus on the White Sox 16 years after the fact, because I never heard anything of the sort. Ever. Please prove me wrong, I would love to read anything that proves this little tinfoil hat theory.

Armchair GMs are fun.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
Of course it is a bad philosophy, that is why nobody has it, including the white sox. Its funny that you put this "we wouldnt deal with the desperate mariners" onus on the White Sox 16 years after the fact, because I never heard anything of the sort. Ever. Please prove me wrong, I would love to read anything that proves this little tinfoil hat theory.

Armchair GMs are fun.

Then you weren't listening or watching. And then you could check out Slocumb's stats from 1997, including his 1.90 WHIP and ERA near 6 and his 17 saves, and then check out Roberto Hernandez and his 27 saves, and tell me who was the better closer and that Seattle wouldn't have taken Roberto in a heartbeat...without even considering the 2 other pitchers the Sox threw in.

And the reason I'm bringing this up now is that in this thread, some said we don't want to trade with the Tigers. Just pointing out a specific instance where that philosophy was extremely costly.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
Maybe...I think a healthy Crain brings a B prospect or 2. Not as much as we'd like.

I think Nate Jones is getting close to Reed, and may surpass him.

Koji Uehara was traded for Chris Davis and Tommy Hanson

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Then you weren't listening or watching. And then you could check out Slocumb's stats from 1997, including his 1.90 WHIP and ERA near 6 and his 17 saves, and then check out Roberto Hernandez and his 27 saves, and tell me who was the better closer and that Seattle wouldn't have taken Roberto in a heartbeat...without even considering the 2 other pitchers the Sox threw in.

And the reason I'm bringing this up now is that in this thread, some said we don't want to trade with the Tigers. Just pointing out a specific instance where that philosophy was extremely costly.

Ah, of course, I wasn't listening or watching, silly me. Here I am thinking that the needs of the respective teams involved are what was considered.

So, since you were in the room when the Sox declined Varitek and Lowe for Hernandez, Darwin and Alvarez, did Schueler specifically say "nope, we don't deal with AL teams" and hang up the phone?

I bet the Tigers will never deal with the Braves again after the results of the Smoltz trade 22 years ago.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)

Keith Foulke had a really nice career, and Howry was great until he got hurt. Caruso was a moron, but he had some ability, and Barcelo was supposed to be the gem of that trade, but he got hurt. True story, he was complaining about a lot of pain and KW called him a p****. It turns out he needed both shoulder and elbow surgery.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
Keith Foulke had a really nice career, and Howry was great until he got hurt. Caruso was a moron, but he had some ability, and Barcelo was supposed to be the gem of that trade, but he got hurt. True story, he was complaining about a lot of pain and KW called him a p****. It turns out he needed both shoulder and elbow surgery.

And Howry and Foulke were key parts of the 2000 team, but we can't mention that. We have to talk about how the Red Sox waited 7 years instead of 3 years for that trade to work out for them

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
And Howry and Foulke were key parts of the 2000 team, but we can't mention that. We have to talk about how the Red Sox waited 7 years instead of 3 years for that trade to work out for them

And, who got the save?

If they want Reed, to justify trading him within the division, I think you would need to get Castellanos back in return. Steep price to pay for a closer, but the White Sox have no reason to trade him, especially within the division, so the price should be very steep.

Saw a Tigers fan on MotownSports say the only guy they should trade Castellanos for is Chris Sale. Good luck with that! Though I'm sure Castellanos for Reed would sound crazy to them, as it rightfully should. They're pretty divided on Avisail Garcia over there FWIW

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)

Dude Boston made the playoffs the next year....and in 99 and in 2003. It was 7 years before they won a WS. We had to get a new GM before we won one of those.

As your goal here is apparently to stick a thumb in my eye and say "na na na na na" I'll give you some ammo: you could point out the closer on Boston's 2004 WS team was none other than Keith Foulke.

Otherwise, I don't know what your point is.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
If the Sox could get Castellanos for Reed and even Crain they should do it.

There's no doubt we would. It's not like we've never traded with divisional oppenents before. And I get that Detroit is a little different than say the Royals or Twins, but if you can land an elite prospect for a reliever you do it every time regardless of who you are trading with.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 06:22 PM)
Dude Boston made the playoffs the next year....and in 99 and in 2003. It was 7 years before they won a WS. We had to get a new GM before we won one of those.

As your goal here is apparently to stick a thumb in my eye and say "na na na na na" I'll give you some ammo: you could point out the closer on Boston's 2004 WS team was none other than Keith Foulke.

Otherwise, I don't know what your point is.

I was wondering what your point was as well, bringing up 16 year old trades made 2 GMs ago as if it actually relevant to the current team.

I get it, you don't like the front office, but your ability to connect the dots in multiple discussions absolutely sucks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
LOL, an "automatic division title and likely WS" from trading for a closer?

You're joking right, you have to know more about baseball than that.

From my vantage point, all Detroit needs is a better bullpen to put this season in the championship bag. Yes, I think Mr. Automatic, Addison Reed, would give them an automatic WS berth this season where they'd beat the NL entry. Reed is pretty damn automatic.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
From my vantage point, all Detroit needs is a better bullpen to put this season in the championship bag. Yes, I think Mr. Automatic, Addison Reed, would give them an automatic WS berth this season where they'd beat the NL entry. Reed is pretty damn automatic.

Detroit's current closer is 8 for 8 in saves and was 9 for 9 in holds. Reed is 24 for 28 in saves. Yet Reed is the one who is pretty damn automatic and clinches a guaranteed pennant?

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)

this

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 22, 2013 -> 02:35 AM)
Detroit's current closer is 8 for 8 in saves and was 9 for 9 in holds. Reed is 24 for 28 in saves. Yet Reed is the one who is pretty damn automatic and clinches a guaranteed pennant?

Why do they want Reed if they are happy with Benoit then?