Trade Deadline 2013

hi8is

Trade Deadline 2013  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick folks...

• Trades, trades, trades, and more trades.
    • One major move and 1-2 smaller deals
    • One major move
    • We're buyers all of a sudden... b!tches
    • Trades? Hanh keeps everyone and laughs evil style
    • Trades!!! For me to poop on!!!!!

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)
Olney says they will receive a "lower-tier pitching prospect" and "pay nearly $25 million" which is almost his entire deal

Ya, the Garza deal was great for the Cubs, this deal just seems like it was made in respect for Soriano, it does nothing for the Cubs.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he's terrible in most every aspect of the game, and he's old...and expensive, but Alfonso Soriano is still a .790 OPS player over the past four years. To pay 25 million or whatever on his contract and get nothing in return in the matter of prospects is just ridiculous.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
I know he's terrible in most every aspect of the game, and he's old...and expensive, but Alfonso Soriano is still a .790 OPS player over the past four years. To pay 25 million or whatever on his contract and get nothing in return in the matter of prospects is just ridiculous.

Agreed. I bet the Yanks end up picking up $7-9M and throwing in a lottery ticket A-baller.

No way Cubs pick up the tab and get nothing in return.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
Now Olney says he thinks Yanks would assume between $5M and $8M of deal, but still that is crazy.

Theo just wants to completely rid himself of the old regime, and that was the last step. All that is left is Castro, Barney, & Samardzija.

I think the Sox will look a whole lot different come Aug. 1.

Lindstrom, Peavy, Rios, Alexei, De Aza, Crain, and a wildcard or two (Reed, and maybe a name not mentioned).

After all is said and done, the sox should have added prospects at 3b, SS, C, a power hitting OF near major league ready, a toolsy OFer, and Startingpitching.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 07:23 AM)
I think the Sox will look a whole lot different come Aug. 1.

Lindstrom, Peavy, Rios, Alexei, De Aza, Crain, and a wildcard or two (Reed, and maybe a name not mentioned).

After all is said and done, the sox should have added prospects at 3b, SS, C, a power hitting OF near major league ready, a toolsy OFer, and Startingpitching.

I'll go Peavy, Rios, and Lindstrom and that's it...maybe a minor leaguer or two included to spice up some deals.

Crain needs to pitch before the Sox get anything for him.

Alexei---money will kill any deal.

De Aza---they'll ask for too much, and end up keeping him.

I hope there are a lot of deals, but I'm just not getting my hopes up.

I'm starting to think my ideal deadline would look something like this:

-Peavy and cash to the Red Sox for Cecchini

-Rios and cash to the Pirates for Dickerson and Kingham

-Reed and Lindstrom to LA for Joc Pederson

With that plan, you are keeping your defense up the middle in Alexei, Gordon, and De Aza and then in 2014, you are giving Cecchini a chance at winning the 3B job, Pederson either LF or RF, Dickerson the 1B job, and Kingham could break the rotation in 2015.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
Crain for a PTBNL. De Aza and Lindstrom will be traded. Peavy and Rios will not be traded because the other GM's will not meet Hahn's demands. Hahn will stand firm showing the league that he is not a push over and doesn't have to move salary.

Soxtalk will be disappointed and cranky.

If Peavy and Rios don't get moved, I'll be extremely cranky.

I just don't want them to get to November, and they think they still have a pretty good team..."and if we keep this league average pitching staff together, and get some better seasons from X, Y, and Z...and play the defense we know we can...we can compete in 2014".

Blow it up.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 08:35 AM)
If Peavy and Rios don't get moved, I'll be extremely cranky.

I just don't want them to get to November, and they think they still have a pretty good team..."and if we keep this league average pitching staff together, and get some better seasons from X, Y, and Z...and play the defense we know we can...we can compete in 2014".

Blow it up.

We're third in all of baseball in pitching WAR. We have excellent pitching, not just league average. That is with Dylan Axelrod getting many turns in the rotation.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 08:35 AM)
I'm starting to think my ideal deadline would look something like this:

-Peavy and cash to the Red Sox for Cecchini

-Rios and cash to the Pirates for Dickerson and Kingham

-Reed and Lindstrom to LA for Joc Pederson

With that plan, you are keeping your defense up the middle in Alexei, Gordon, and De Aza and then in 2014, you are giving Cecchini a chance at winning the 3B job, Pederson either LF or RF, Dickerson the 1B job, and Kingham could break the rotation in 2015.

De Aza cannot be included in any plan based on keeping my defense up the middle.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
Crain for a PTBNL. De Aza and Lindstrom will be traded. Peavy and Rios will not be traded because the other GM's will not meet Hahn's demands. Hahn will stand firm showing the league that he is not a push over and doesn't have to move salary.

Way to go out an a limb there... :lol:

I wouldn't be upset if Peavy and Rios aren't traded. Both are good contracts and I think it'd be very tough to get a haul of prospects of commensurate value. You never know, Hahn could figure out a "retool on the quick and cheap" plan in the offseason and we'll contend in 2014. Of course if that flops, trading both is always an option next year. Don't trade them for the sake of making a trade.

I personally view Dunn as a bad contract, so clearing him off the books for even a modest return would be a huge win.

I think Ramirez is still a good contract and Hahn has to keep him if he has any thoughts on contending in 2014. I certainly wouldn't object to trading him if the return is pretty good and a separate trade brings back a serious SS prospect. I have similar feelings on De Aza.

Since Crain is probably gone at the end of the season, getting anything in return would be a net positive.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)

That's the only absolute certainty in this thread.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
De Aza just cannot be included in any plan going forward in CF. He's perfectly fine in LF.

ADA can play CF. We don't have to care what he likes. He does fine out there when he doesn't have the yips like earlier this year

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Since Crain is probably gone at the end of the season, getting anything in return would be a net positive.

Can't we extend him a QO at the end of the season and if he declines get a supplemental pick or sign and flip if he doesnt?

Can't we extend him a QO at the end of the season and if he declines get a supplemental pick or sign and flip if he doesnt?

A qualifying offer is at least $13M or something like that, so nobody is tendering a QO to any relievers outside of a maybe a few elite closers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
ADA can play CF. We don't have to care what he likes. He does fine out there when he doesn't have the yips like earlier this year

I agree. I don;t mind him out there. He's sucked this year, but so has every other player, including Alexei who we know has been among the best defenders in the game for the past three years. ADA is just performing poorly like everyone else -- his true talent is fine there.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)

Even last year when he wasn't making terrible plays left and right, he still left a lot to be desired out in CF. He is helped out tremendously by being able to play 81 of the games in CF at the Cell, one of the easiest center fields in the league, if not the easiest.

His defense in CF certainly needs upgrading, and keeping him in CF next year would just be a sign of not having any intention of competing again as he is only a stop gap player in CF.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
Even last year when he wasn't making terrible plays left and right, he still left a lot to be desired out in CF. He is helped out tremendously by being able to play 81 of the games in CF at the Cell, one of the easiest center fields in the league, if not the easiest.

His defense in CF certainly needs upgrading, and keeping him in CF next year would just be a sign of not having any intention of competing again as he is only a stop gap player in CF.

UZR has him as essentially a scratch defender, and my eyes agree. It would be nice to get above average defense there, but I can live with average for now. We have much bigger holes than De Aza, I guess.

He's brutal at going back on the ball...not sure why, but that was my main complaint about him last year. If we had to put someone else at the corners because they fit those positions better or because they were worse in CF than Ale, than I could live with that, but we would preferably do it because we had good options at those corners.