Sox turn down trade offer for Alexei from Cardinals

chisoxfan09

He is their 3rd rated prospect and is 4-2 in AA. Only 21 and has 3 good pitches (FB, Curve, Change) and hit the high 90's with the FB. MGon reported it so he is normally credible but not sure on this one.

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3745533.story

Thoughts?

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not been a straight up trade. They might have wanted the Sox to eat a ton of money. It might be Hahn is reluctant to trade Alexei because the Sox don't have another SS and good ones aren't easy to acquire. Just ask everyone's model franchise, the Cardinals.

Edited by Dick Allen

There's probably more to this and don't have an immediate positive or negative reaction. Still, Alexei is one of the hardest players to replace. ESP. If the sox believe they can compete in2014. I'd expect Alexei to be one of the last players traded, not one of the first, after we see what prospects the sox get for Peavy, Crain, Lindstrom, Rios, De Aza.

Maybe they'd trade Alexei if the sox acquired a replacement for him. Or Pitt already had a better offer on the table. Too many unknowns.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 05:09 AM)
There's probably more to this and don't have an immediate positive or negative reaction. Still, Alexei is one of the hardest players to replace. ESP. If the sox believe they can compete in2014. I'd expect Alexei to be one of the last players traded, not one of the first, after we see what prospects the sox get for Peavy, Crain, Lindstrom, Rios, De Aza.

Maybe they'd trade Alexei if the sox acquired a replacement for him. Or Pitt already had a better offer on the table. Too many unknowns.

The key word at MLBTR is "involving". The White Sox turned down a trade "involving" Ramirez and Martinez. I feel very confident that te Cardinals wanted Ramirez and Peavy and offered Martinez among others.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
The key word at MLBTR is "involving". The White Sox turned down a trade "involving" Ramirez and Martinez. I feel very confident that te Cardinals wanted Ramirez and Peavy and offered Martinez among others.

I can definitely see something that having gone down, with Peavy also included. The key to any Peavy deal is a top position player prospect.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:20 AM)
http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/7/24/4551...-alexei-ramirez

I think Jim makes a good point about the Cardinals & Pirates both needing SS's. Pitting them against one another for Alexei is the correct way to build up his value.

He makes all the points that we hope Hahn is making in his head, otherwise we're in trouble.

I highly doubt that this was Ramirez for Martinez straight though.

One thing I would like to happen before we deal Ramirez is trading for his replacement. My #1 acquisition request would be to acquire Chris Owings from AZ. He is ready to contribute immediately on any big league roster. I really hope Hahn feels the same way. From what I hear, the DBacks would love to bring in Peavy. Not only to compete this year, but next year as well.

Once a trade for Peavy goes down and we have our Ramirez replacement, I say make a counter offer to St. LOUIS. I would ask for Michael Wacha in exchange for Ramirez and Lindstrom.

Michael Wacha us sniffing the majors and can replace Peavys spot in the rotation for now.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
I don't think the Sox would turn down this offer, and I don't think the Cardinals would make this offer.

Unless they know something we don't know about the guy... from the outside looking in, he looks like a very good pitcher in the making.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
One thing I would like to happen before we deal Ramirez is trading for his replacement. My #1 acquisition request would be to acquire Chris Owings from AZ. He is ready to contribute immediately on any big league roster. I really hope Hahn feels the same way. From what I hear, the DBacks would love to bring in Peavy. Not only to compete this year, but next year as well.

Once a trade for Peavy goes down and we have our Ramirez replacement, I say make a counter offer to St. LOUIS. I would ask for Michael Wacha in exchange for Ramirez and Lindstrom.

Michael Wacha us sniffing the majors and can replace Peavys spot in the rotation for now.

Exactly. if the sox don't have a replacement for Alexei, they don't need to trade him. I could see many scenarios where Alexei stays. I don't think the sox are comfortable with Gordon at SS.

Yet I do think the sox could get good value for Alexei with the pirates and cards in need of an upgrade.

I could care less about finding a replacement shortstop. They have 6 and a half months to find a new shortstop.

If this rumor is true, they may not feel good about his prospects of starting long term.

If this rumor is false, then maybe his name came up but there was no agreement based on other information that was spilled.

Now, if this is false, and Martinez's name was never brought up - and this is my personal belief - then it's possible the Sox are in the process of weeding out guys from within that are leaking info to those in the media.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
I could care less about finding a replacement shortstop. They have 6 and a half months to find a new shortstop.

If this rumor is true, they may not feel good about his prospects of starting long term.

If this rumor is false, then maybe his name came up but there was no agreement based on other information that was spilled.

Now, if this is false, and Martinez's name was never brought up - and this is my personal belief - then it's possible the Sox are in the process of weeding out guys from within that are leaking info to those in the media.

Have you seen the list of 2014 SS free agents?! You don't want to go into the offseason trying to get one of these castoffs. Or the sox would have to trade one of their current SP's for a SS. The sox would be far better served keeping Alexei than hoping to find a SS to replace him.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
Have you seen the list of 2014 SS free agents?! You don't want to go into the offseason trying to get one of these castoffs. Or the sox would have to trade one of their current SP's for a SS. The sox would be far better served keeping Alexei than hoping to find a SS to replace him.

Basically, Alexei is right at the top of the list of "guys who, if we trade, makes it inevitable that 2014 is a rebuilding season". He's about the most difficult guy on our roster to replace next year.

That means the price for Alexei should be high, with enough return to warrant "Throwing in the towel for next year despite a solid pitching staff".

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)

You don't have to sign a shortstop. I would be OK with trading Quintana or Santiago for a great shortstop prospect, and that is one of only areas I'm ok with dealing either one of those two.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
Basically, Alexei is right at the top of the list of "guys who, if we trade, makes it inevitable that 2014 is a rebuilding season". He's about the most difficult guy on our roster to replace next year.

That means the price for Alexei should be high, with enough return to warrant "Throwing in the towel for next year despite a solid pitching staff".

Good point Balta. Personally, I don't care how they replace Alexei because I don't think the Sox can compete next year. Those of you who are in the competing in 2014 crowd, it is understandable why you wouldn't want to dump Ramirez. I really hope they can get a useful piece or two and dump the salary personally though.

I don't think Gordon has the range for SS, though I agree I'd like to try him there if Alexei leaves. That said, there is no reason to panic -- there's always some minor league scrub that can fake it there while the team tries to get good again. Yes, trading Alexei probably means punting 2014, but you guys DO realize this team has the third worst record in all of baseball, right? Punting 2014 is the right thing to do, unless you want the club to turn into the Astros of two years ago.

I had posted this elsewhere, but every review of Gordon's shortstop defense from college all the way through the minors said he had everything you need to be a shortstop -- plenty of range, plenty of arm, athleticism, etc. Their only question was his hands and I think we can see at 2B that he actually has exceptional hands