Tigers vs. White Sox 7/24/2013

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
Yep...he's giving up the long ball at a crazy rate.

A little early to be giving up on Danks. I think we all knew that the recovering version of John Danks was going to deal with longball issues. He never got lefties out. Can't be surprising when one of the best LH power hitters in the game takes him deep. Cut him some slack

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 12:23 AM)
A little early to be giving up on Danks. I think we all knew that the recovering version of John Danks was going to deal with longball issues. He never got lefties out. Can't be surprising when one of the best LH power hitters in the game takes him deep. Cut him some slack

I've said all along Danks has had better stuff than I expected him to have. The reason that myself, and others, would love if someone took his contract off the Sox' hands is due to the poor history of pitchers fully recovering from shoulder surgery. Also, I don't believe he'll ever have the command necessary to pitch without a plus fastball.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)

You'd rather owe him the monsterous amount left on his contract?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 12:28 AM)
I don't know how you could say no.

Yep, and it would solve any concerns about having too many LHP in the rotation. I just find it very hard to believe he'll perform well enough to earn this extension he's received.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:26 PM)
Simple question Jake...if you could let Danks go on a waiver claim and get nothing in return, would you do it?

I'd have to think about it. Probably not. His xFIP is 3.8, which is pretty much where he's been his entire career. If someone is claiming him now, they'll probably claim him a year from now too. Even in the worst case, I don't see him getting worse. I'll hold on to him. We're not hurting for money right now anyway. Selling off assets at minimal value seems silly for us at this point anyway.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 05:31 PM)
I'd have to think about it. Probably not. His xFIP is 3.8, which is pretty much where he's been his entire career. If someone is claiming him now, they'll probably claim him a year from now too. Even in the worst case, I don't see him getting worse. I'll hold on to him. We're not hurting for money right now anyway. Selling off assets at minimal value seems silly for us at this point anyway.

It's not so much his performance to me as the fact that he just doesn't really fit into the gameplan anymore. I'd rather put that money in the bank and use it when we're actually competitive.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 01:33 AM)
It's not so much his performance to me as the fact that he just doesn't really fit into the gameplan anymore. I'd rather put that money in the bank and use it when we're actually competitive.

Yep!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)

this

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)

He fits in most gameplans for me. Win next year? Perhaps your only real veteran starter (can we call Sale that after two years of starting?). Rebuilding? Salary won't matter and you hold on to him hoping his value increases as he gets healthier. Some sort of rebuild/reload? Wait to see how the team does and act like you were going with either plan A or plan B all along.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:31 PM)

I wouldn't consider Danks an asset.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
He fits in most gameplans for me. Win next year? Perhaps your only real veteran starter (can we call Sale that after two years of starting?). Rebuilding? Salary won't matter and you hold on to him hoping his value increases as he gets healthier. Some sort of rebuild/reload? Wait to see how the team does and act like you were going with either plan A or plan B all along.

In what world does $15 million a year not matter?