AND THATS A WHITE SOX LOSER!

witesoxfan

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 03:01 AM)
I'd rather sign free agents than talk about the draft in which no player will help us for a minimum of 4 years unless he's a mature college guy.

It's a message board and there is no reason to talk about the games. As soon as the trade deadline passes we can talk about both.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
@ESPNStatsInfo: Jason Giambi is the oldest player in MLB history to hit a walk-off home run. Record previously held by Hank Aaron in 1976. (@EliasSports)

Oldest Walk-off Homer: Jason Giambi*

QUOTE (TheBigHurtIsBack @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
Seriously I want to know why so many successful and/or adept players come here and suddenly take a huge nosedive. I'd like to blame it on something our staff or overall organization is doing but I can't assume that. But it bothers me quite a lot.

I think players hear the reputation as a launching pad and see that the fences seem so close. They alter their approach and try for the power too much and it just ruins everything.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Yeah, if he isn't traded, he is just going to start tomorrow. No point in making him go out and try to pitch with everything he undoubtedly has on his mind right now. He'd pitch absolutely terribly, and then if a trade is consummated in the 4th inning, the Sox don't have to awkwardly pull him.

Plus, I mean really, if the Sox keep him, they'll have such a good pitching staff next year, and with a pitching staff like that they can definitely compete next year

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Cue bump

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
I still do not know how this offense is so woefully bad.

The defense as well. It's just one of those years where everyone is not playing well. The primary for the offense is PK missing time and being injured. If he has one of his normal years in the middle of the lineup, this offense is much better. They need to find a replacement but that is not easily found.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Haha I am going to make you bump this so many times now

:P

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
I still do not know how this offense is so woefully bad.

I want to say it's just that we don't get on base enough, but really, we also don;t hit for enough power. So we don't get enough baserunners AND we don't knock any baserunners in. It's really downright filthy.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
We are two bats and a couple of relievers away.

CF De Aza

2B Beckham

3B Michael Young

DH Dunn/Viciedo

1B Corey Hart

RF Garcia

LF Viciedo

SS Ramirez

C Phegley

Gillaspie gets some starts at 3B against RHP with Young going to 1B and Hart going to RF giving Garcia/Viciedo days off against RHP.

Sign two guys on short deals and have four younger guys (Beckham, Viciedo, Garcia, Phegley) who you can learn if they are part of the future. De Aza, Dunn and Alexei you basically know what you're getting. Replacing Rios with Hart and Young will help the attitude of this team.

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Danks

4. Santiago

5. Johnson/Rienzo/Axelrod

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
A 4-5 of Dunn and Hart could generate more power than most 4-5's in baseball. If one of Garcia or Viciedo takes off were in business.

The idea wasn't to knock people out of the park, the idea is to give us a competitive line up with young players playing for their future AND real MLB hitters. Our pitching is good enough to be top 5 in the AL, if our offense is competitive we can surprise teams.

I would rather try 3-4 guys who may be a part of the future and be competitive then play a bunch of minor leaguers and waste our pitching.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
I absolutely would not write off contending next year. That is a pretty damn good rotation (though lefty-heavy), that is a bullpen with some untested but talented arms, and even the lineup has young talent. But if you use that $30-$40M to get above average hitters (hopefully with some power) for a couple positions (and you could do it at almost ALL those positions, though 1B and 3B stick out)... you can make a decent lineup there.

OOH OOOOOOOOOH I WANNA PLAY TOO

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Don't wanna start a new thread for this so seeing as this is somewhat relevant to this subject I'll post it here. By relevant I mean the 2013 offense in a nutshell has falied to be consistent up and down the lineup.

I wanna have some fun with sample sizes....

Our hitters best months in a projected batting order...

1. De Aza- .296/.366/.444

2. Keppinger- .317/.388/.400

3. Rios .277/.352/.511

4. Dunn .274/.402/.589

5. Tank .303/.364/.517

6. Gilaspie .311/.368/.492

7. Beckham .303/.337/.447

8. Lexi .281/.316/.382

9. Phegley .219/.215/.406

How nice would it have been if these guys consistently put up those numbers? With this pitching staff that's a contending team for sure.