Marcus Semien

Jake

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
And he's been playing 3B for the past month anyway. Not sure if he can stick at SS long term.

Not sure where you get your info but he plays the vast majority of games at SS and 2B, he pretty much switches with Saladino and they each play half the time at the center infield spots. He's only played a handful of games at 3B

2:26

Comment From Anthony

Does Marcus Semien project as an everday player (somewhere in the infield) or will he just end up as a utility player? His A and AA numbers have been getting better and better and is an atypical white sox prospect since he actually shows great ability to get on base.

12:27

: His value is definitely on the rise but I want to see him sustain this kind of improvement into next year before I fully abandon the future utility projection. He has a better shot than ever at developing into a starter, though.

This quote from Marc Hulet on todays Prospects Chat link

Marcus has got major Helium going for him right now, I look forward to John Sickels' piece that he will have coming out soon.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
This quote from Marc Hulet on todays Prospects Chat link

Marcus has got major Helium going for him right now, I look forward to John Sickels' piece that he will have coming out soon.

In that same chat, they also say Rodon could be a top 15 prospect right now

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
In that same chat, they also say Rodon could be a top 15 prospect right now

I hope we land Rodon, give him a year on the farm with his advanced approach let John Danks move 18 months beyond his surgery hopefully looking like the Danks of old and move him at the deadline or in the '14 offseason that leaves two years left on his contract 15:$14.25M, 16:$14.25M. If Danks is back to his career norm 3WAR pitcher thats 3.75M in surplus value per year for his acquiring team with the potential for another 3-6M. That would slot Rodon perfectly into our rotation.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
In a vacuum, I'm so not a fan of spending what is likely our only super-high draft pick on a pitcher

Bah, I am not going to complain about drafting a guy who pairs with Chris Sale at the top of the rotation. If that's how it goes down and they both stay healthy then in 2015 or 2016 we're talking about our own version of the San Fran world series teams.

I'll happily trade away some of the pitching we have in order to have 2 guys at the top of the rotation putting up ERA's below 3 (in our ballpark). Man that'd be sick.

Rodon could be different given that he will likely be perceived as near MLB-ready. The sooner a guy is in the show, the less a potential injury can harm you. When a guy spends 4 years in the minors, that injury could easily stunt his development. If a guy is dominating in MLB when he sustains that injury, chances are he still is valuable afterwards.

With that said, if there was a Kris Bryant-type in the draft I'd probably jump on him

Here is Keith Law's chat transcript pertaining to a question about Semien.

Nate (Chicago)

Keith, Marcus Semien was promoted to AAA Charlotte this week. He is having a pretty impressive year statistically. How do his tools project in the major leagues? Solid everyday guy, utility, or np?

Klaw (1:40 PM)

Average regular at 2b. Don't believe he can be an everyday SS defensively, although that's based on a somewhat dated look at him in the field.

Semien talked about in the BA chat today:

Jerry (San Diego): Do you envision Marcus Semien as the White Sox 2nd basemen of the future? What type of production would you guess he might have in his best seasons as a big leaguer?

J.J. Cooper: I do. Although I think he'll end up having to battle Micah Johnson for that spot eventually. He'll get there first. I think of him as a No. 2 hitter who fits both old school baseball guys (handles the bat well, he's a second baseman batting second!) and new school guys (tons of walks leads to a good OBP, more pop than the average second base prospect). One thing I'll be interested in watching is how his home/road splits look now that he's in AAA. He has a pretty significant home/road split when he was in AA and we don't know much about how Birmingham park plays since it's a new park.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
It would be nice if he could develop into a 3B considering Beckham, Johnson, Sanchez, and Anderson are in the system.

I think Semien probably has a better chance of becoming a solid SS than any of those guys. The only 1 who seems to be regularly playing SS right now is Anderson and he's a long way away.

I get the feeling that people are predicting that he'll be a 2B rather than SS because they don't know much about his defense and it is simply easier to predict the less optimistic outcome. I think he looks good at SS.