Where would you live?

Jake

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
Kaui or Maui for sure.

The Northwest (Seattle, Portland) would be acceptable.

Chicago...I love this city, but I'd leave in a heartbeat if I could.

This will sound really dumb, but I think after being in Hawaii for a while, I'd kind of get bored. I don't know that I could do it for years and years.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
If I could stay Chicago would be my #1.

After that its not really specific order but San Fran, San Diego or LA. But my #1 by far would be Chicago.

Chicago would definitely be in my top 3, if not top 2. All subject to change repeatedly as I travel and move around, though :D

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
I couldn't live in Hawaii. I enjoy road trips too much.

Have you been to Hawaii? There are plenty of roads to travel. The outdoors activities are amazing.

I get the island fever feeling. But 4 hours away and you're in California or the northwest. That's closer than Chicago is to that stuff. I've spent several weeks on Kaui, Maui and Oahu over the years, and it's such a laid back feeling. If you lived in Honolulu you're just living in a big city with great weather, but if you're out in the "country" it's incredibly relaxing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Have you been to Hawaii? There are plenty of roads to travel. The outdoors activities are amazing.

I get the island fever feeling. But 4 hours away and you're in California or the northwest. That's closer than Chicago is to that stuff. I've spent several weeks on Kaui, Maui and Oahu over the years, and it's such a laid back feeling. If you lived in Honolulu you're just living in a big city with great weather, but if you're out in the "country" it's incredibly relaxing.

Traveling within the same state != road trip.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
For me, not being able to take a road trip is far from a non-starter

Living near Chicago pretty much guarantees that the first 5-10 hours of your road trip, depending on which direction you're heading, are going to be pretty boring.

For me, not being able to take a road trip is far from a non-starter

I get that it isn't the same for everybody, but I was raised on road trips. Between the ages of 8 and 15, my family took road trips from Northern Indiana to Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, DC (twice), Colorado and California. And that's not including the dozens of trips to both Chicago and Indy that I don't really count because those were < 3 hours.

As an adult, I've taken road trips from my various residences in the Midwest to Texas, Wyoming, New York, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi (twice), plus I did a complete loop around Lake Michigan. I could never confine myself to an island where the farthest I can get from home by car is 2 hours. I could certainly vacation there for up to a month, but living there would be out of the question. I'd rather live in Anchorage.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
I get that it isn't the same for everybody, but I was raised on road trips. Between the ages of 8 and 15, my family took road trips from Northern Indiana to Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, DC (twice), Colorado and California. And that's not including the dozens of trips to both Chicago and Indy that I don't really count because those were

As an adult, I've taken road trips from my various residences in the Midwest to Texas, Wyoming, New York, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi (twice), plus I did a complete loop around Lake Michigan. I could never confine myself to an island where the farthest I can get from home by car is 2 hours. I could certainly vacation there for up to a month, but living there would be out of the question. I'd rather live in Anchorage.

Being the youngest in my family, my memories of road trips are of me riding in the "b**** seat" (the not actual seat in the middle of the bench backseat) with both of my brothers legs on me while they leaned against the doors and slept. :D

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
Being the youngest in my family, my memories of road trips are of me riding in the "b**** seat" (the not actual seat in the middle of the bench backseat) with both of my brothers legs on me while they leaned against the doors and slept. :D

...and somehow you lived! I look back on stuff like that fondly.

As for where I'd live...right now, Chicago, which is where I live. My friends are here, my family is here, my wife's family is here, jobs are here...

But when I near retirement...decidedly NOT Chicago. :)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
As for where I'd live...right now, Chicago, which is where I live. My friends are here, my family is here, my wife's family is here, jobs are here...

But when I near retirement...decidedly NOT Chicago. :)

Not necessarily a dealbreaker

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
Not necessarily a dealbreaker

For me it is.

We both have to want to go somewhere to go there. If we didn't feel that way, we wouldn't be married in the first place.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
For me it is.

We both have to want to go somewhere to go there. If we didn't feel that way, we wouldn't be married in the first place.

I'm teasing sheeeeeeesh :)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm teasing sheeeeeeesh :)

Some people don't care what their SO wants or cares about these days, actually, more than those that do it seems, given the divorce rate. :)