So, Where is the $ Reallocated Now?

Dunt

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:38 AM)
Just because we get Cano doesn't mean everyone else is going to magically start hitting. Cano is the only sure thing in that line-up and everyone else is a big huge if.

Not a chance in the world that the Sox would sign Cano.

So instead of Peavy you get Hart or Morales. Or both if you manage to trade Rios. Low level, value FA are what the Sox should target for next year - they have some good, cost controlled young pitching and virtually nothing in the minors knocking on the door. Conservatively roll the dice, and if the team stinks again, you sell the FA gets and try again the next year until you have some star power built up in your system.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:45 PM)
So instead of Peavy you get Hart or Morales. Or both if you manage to trade Rios. Low level, value FA are what the Sox should target for next year - they have some good, cost controlled young pitching and virtually nothing in the minors knocking on the door. Conservatively roll the dice, and if the team stinks again, you sell the FA gets and try again the next year until you have some star power built up in your system.

Ding ding

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
I know this, was just responding to his proposed line-up.

When was the last time the White Sox signed to the top free agent?

It's rarely worth it. How are the Angels doing with Pujols and Hamilton?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)
Are there people really saying no to Robbie Cano?

Are we just going to be forever afraid of top free agents?

I know everyone wants to rebuild but if they grab Cano I believe they become instant contenders.

I love Cano but it will be hard for the White Sox to win if they go out and sign guys to mega deals. They just won't maintain the type of payroll it takes to be able to cover up for those guys when the contracts are no longer playable. The Sox best case is using their money on younger players (who they acquired during the pre-arb years) and on quality veterans on more short-term deals, imo. Its unfortunate that the Sox couldn't just go on a draft and international signing spending spree. Hell, I'd love it if we just said f*** it next year and took the penalty on the international front and just dropped a s***-ton of money.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 06:37 PM)
The Sox desperately need some of these young guys to turn into above average players. Sadly, we all know how awful the organization has been for over a decade in developing offensive players.

Outside of Beckham (and to a lesser extent Viciedo) the Sox really haven't had any legit offensive prospects in a while. Anderson was more of a defensive guy with a solid bat (and potential but not what I'd call a developed hitter...albeit his minor league numbers were good). In fact, it really has been a long time since we've had a good core of what I'd call difference making prospects. I'd still say we are away from that (unless Hawkins, Thompson, Barnum, etc take a lot of steps forward...however at least I can say we have some guys with the "tools" to be excited about),

It truly is pathetic how s***ty the org has been at drafting and developing positional talent.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
Its too bad Tank didn't turn into that 30 HR guy Harold Reynolds and some here thought he's be.

How sexy would a

De Aza CF- L

Beckham SS- R

Cano 2B-L

Rios RF-R

Dunn DH-L

Tank 1B-R

Gilaspie 3B-L

Garcia LF- R

Phegley C- R

That's a hella balanced lineup, and if Tank gets his power stroke back you can switch him and Rios.

I think we are going to see a really good Tank next year. He's made a ton of progress this year, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:23 AM)
It truly is pathetic how s***ty the org has been at drafting and developing positional talent.

Yep, and that's why they're pretty clearly one of the three worst organizations in baseball right now. It's pretty amazing how quickly Hawkins has turned into a long shot prospect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
I think we are going to see a really good Tank next year. He's made a ton of progress this year, imo.

He quietly just had a really good July. Batted .308/.368/.529 with 10 extra base hits and 4 of those were home runs....This is his 2nd month with an obp over .340 which I would just love if he could give us that a whole season. If that and the power he's displayed this month sticks with him he would look really nice in the middle of the lineup.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 08:56 PM)
He quietly just had a really good July. Batted .308/.368/.529 with 10 extra base hits and 4 of those were home runs....This is his 2nd month with an obp over .340 which I would just love if he could give us that a whole season. If that and the power he's displayed this month sticks with him he would look really nice in the middle of the lineup.

He's showing more patience and a much better ability to hit right handed pitching. I think the left handed struggles are just a fluke based on limited stats (since he's crushed LHP in the minors and last year). If he continues to take the steps forward he did, we will start to see him start to become an above average player, imo (especially when you factor in his bargain contract).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)
He's showing more patience and a much better ability to hit right handed pitching. I think the left handed struggles are just a fluke based on limited stats (since he's crushed LHP in the minors and last year). If he continues to take the steps forward he did, we will start to see him start to become an above average player, imo (especially when you factor in his bargain contract).

Dayan has the best mixture of talent/present production to be the type of guy that can start to turn our team around. If Tank is a bonafide middle of the order guy, winning in the near future gets THAT much easier. Imagine for a moment a future in which Tank and Avisail turn out...what a cheap, young duo in the middle to build around that would be. What we need from Tank, honestly, is to replace PK. He doesn't have to play first or be the exact hitter PK was/is, but we need somebody to replace that production that we've had for over 10 years and the top candidate for that job is Dayan. I just really hope he pulls it off.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:20 PM)
I love Cano but it will be hard for the White Sox to win if they go out and sign guys to mega deals. They just won't maintain the type of payroll it takes to be able to cover up for those guys when the contracts are no longer playable. The Sox best case is using their money on younger players (who they acquired during the pre-arb years) and on quality veterans on more short-term deals, imo. Its unfortunate that the Sox couldn't just go on a draft and international signing spending spree. Hell, I'd love it if we just said f*** it next year and took the penalty on the international front and just dropped a s***-ton of money.

(I'm bored)

This feels like I'm in the NBA thread all over again...

"Even if the Bulls ditch Deng and Boozer they still can't get a max contract."

Instead now it's..

"Even though the Sox just saved 20M, have another 25M coming in, and have a boatload of money coming off the books we still can't sign Cano"

It's a long shot that even becomes a FA but if he does I say why not? How long are they gonna waste this good pitching? I realize they're all young and will still be around when when they're done "rebuilding" but still, why not make that push?

Robinson Cano is a guy that can turn this ball club from day 1. His left handed bat allows the Sox to bat Dunn further down in the lineup which is a plus. He's also gonna give the guy hitting in front of a lot more fastballs to look at. That said I'm going to tweak the lineup I originally posted putting Rios in the 3 hole batting in front of Cano. Why because I just stumbled upon a stat that said Rios hit .371 last year with a .671 slugging% vs fastballs. If Dayan hits like he has in July you're looking at a really good #5 hitter and it moves Dunn to the 6 spot keeping the middle of the lined balanced R/L/R/L. Then you keep it balanced with the wild card that is Avisail Garcia who has no pressure on him hitting in the 7th spot, if they get 15/15 out of the 7 hole they're doing things right. Gilaspie continues the L/R balance and he gives them another guy who can hit 15 HRs in the bottom of the order. The same thing with Phegley in the 9 spot.

It's all a pipe dream though, I'm surprised it's not shared by others.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
Cano didn't choose Jay-Z as his agent so he could sign with a bottom 3 team in the standings. If it's not the Yankees for Cano (the heavy, heavy favorite), then you'd have to think it will be the Dodgers.

I realize that's likely to be the case, but I'm just surprised that people are shunning even the thought of it.

Cano is the type of guy who destroys your financial flexibility as he turns into a late 30's/early 40's second baseman that can no longer field and likely loses his ability to hit for power in a non-Yankee Stadium ballpark.

You only sign Cano if he's putting you on top -- not to try to get you within a stone's throw of contention.

This isn't the NBA. It makes far more sense to get a collection of average to above-average players than go for broke on a single stud. If your want your team to have studs, you have to draft/develop them (Sale). If you want to build through FA, you are going to have to find the guys the market has undervalued and when you have to bring in guys that the market does value, they can't be ones that you are obviously going to regret signing later (Cano). Dunn's contract may have felt bad at times, but imagine if you gave him a 5 or 6 year deal. Part of the reason the White Sox are never dumping contracts for nothing is that even when they go "big" on a guy like Adam Dunn, it's a 3-year or 4-year contract. You can live with a bad 3 or 4-year contract.

Dealing with albatross 7-10 year deals for guys signed at peak value in their early 30s is a recipe for a bad, old, expensive team. You only do that if you think you're about to win a World Series. See the Tigers. If they get a ring, this is all worth it. If they don't, Dombrowski will be out of a job in 5 years as they are unable to afford anybody new

Edited by Jake

What happened to Mr. Optimism Jake?

I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this. I truly believe adding one super star to the mix turns this whole thing around.

My little paragraph in my last post just made so much sense to me lol but I guess that's why I've been called quite the optimist on several occasions.

BTW Rios is batting .315 vs fastballs this year to go along with the .371 last year...You put him in front of Cano and he'll see A LOT more fastballs thus being an even better hitter.

Financially, they have the extra 25M this year, then the following year Sale and Cano are your only big salaried players. Esp. if the Sox can work out team friendly deals with Jose, Hector, Tank, and Gordon plus get so production out of a guy like Semien over at short or 3rd.

It's all a pipe dream though.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)
What happened to Mr. Optimism Jake?

I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this. I truly believe adding one super star to the mix turns this whole thing around.

My little paragraph in my last post just made so much sense to me lol but I guess that's why I've been called quite the optimist on several occasions.

BTW Rios is batting .315 vs fastballs this year to go along with the .371 last year...You put him in front of Cano and he'll see A LOT more fastballs thus being an even better hitter.

You do realize that Cano is going to get like a 10 year deal for $250 million right? It's just not gonna happen. There will be 2 teams interested: Dodgers and Yankees.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 12:18 AM)
You do realize that Cano is going to get like a 10 year deal for $250 million right? It's just not gonna happen. There will be 2 teams interested: Dodgers and Yankees.

I certainly realize that, 25M a year, at least . I just think with the 20M they saved from Peavy, the 25M coming in from the TV deal, and the what 20M+ that's coming off the books next year that the Sox can afford to do it.

I doubt he leaves NY, and even if he does the White Sox obviously don't look like an attractive but if he was willing to come here I just couldn't say no....This is all just pipedream talk lol let me have my fun.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:45 PM)
(I'm bored)

This feels like I'm in the NBA thread all over again...

"Even if the Bulls ditch Deng and Boozer they still can't get a max contract."

Instead now it's..

"Even though the Sox just saved 20M, have another 25M coming in, and have a boatload of money coming off the books we still can't sign Cano"

It's a long shot that even becomes a FA but if he does I say why not? How long are they gonna waste this good pitching? I realize they're all young and will still be around when when they're done "rebuilding" but still, why not make that push?

Robinson Cano is a guy that can turn this ball club from day 1. His left handed bat allows the Sox to bat Dunn further down in the lineup which is a plus. He's also gonna give the guy hitting in front of a lot more fastballs to look at. That said I'm going to tweak the lineup I originally posted putting Rios in the 3 hole batting in front of Cano. Why because I just stumbled upon a stat that said Rios hit .371 last year with a .671 slugging% vs fastballs. If Dayan hits like he has in July you're looking at a really good #5 hitter and it moves Dunn to the 6 spot keeping the middle of the lined balanced R/L/R/L. Then you keep it balanced with the wild card that is Avisail Garcia who has no pressure on him hitting in the 7th spot, if they get 15/15 out of the 7 hole they're doing things right. Gilaspie continues the L/R balance and he gives them another guy who can hit 15 HRs in the bottom of the order. The same thing with Phegley in the 9 spot.

It's all a pipe dream though, I'm surprised it's not shared by others.

I like your dream I even think its attainable without Cano but things would really have to break the right way but why not ? Maybe Morneau finds the magic again to fit your dream or some other free agent who won't break the bank and is undervalued . That's an even better dream .It's an even numbered year coming up and everyone wants us to be ready to compete again in the dreaded odd numbered year.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 12:56 AM)
I like your dream I even think its attainable without Cano but things would really have to break the right way but why not ? Maybe Morneau finds the magic again to fit your dream or some other free agent who won't break the bank and is undervalued . That's an even better dream .It's an even numbered year coming up and everyone wants us to be ready to compete again in the dreaded odd numbered year.

Perhaps, but if you're going with Morneau you're not gonna have one of Tank, Dunn, Rios, De Aza, or Garcia in the lineup and they all play a huge role in my dream.

De Aza because we need a leadoff hitter.

Rios because I think he's smash in front of Cano

Without Dunn the lineup loses a good deal of power.

And without guys like Garcia and Tank(who like I said they should extend now) the lineup could get rather costly.

Getting a guy who produces so well at 2B makes all the difference in the world.

There aren't a ton of good FA options out there but I assume you can spend the $25 million a year Cano would command and fill multiple holes. They could get McCann on a 4 or 5 year deal I think at $12-15 million and fulfill 1B with a guy like Hart/Morales/Morse for $5-10 million and maybe trade Rios or De Aza in the off season for a real 3B and opening a spot for Garcia everyday. That would help out the team just as much. It is never the White Sox way to just go and dump a season so they will make some moves to try and remain competitive but I severely doubt this team gets in a bidding war of years or dollars for Cano.