So, Where is the $ Reallocated Now?

Dunt

Is everyone forgetting the lessons from the 2004-2005 offseason?

Cano?

That's crazy talk.

You allocate that money wisely across 3-4-5 undervalued veterans when you're ready to go for it, probably heading into 2015 based on this year's FA class and the difficulties we'll have recruiting some of them to a "rebuilding" team.

We know there are people out there who thought the White Sox should have done more. We also heard other clubs complain about the steep prices they attached to some of the veteran players they didn't move (Alex Rios, Alexei Ramirez, etc.).

"But you know what? "I hope nobody calls them a 'loser' because at least Rick [GM Rick Hahn] was active,' " one NL executive observed. "His organization is at a better place than it was 14 days ago. And that's what he's supposed to do at the deadline. The teams that should get smacked around are all the teams that should have sold and did nothing. In some cases, I thought it was inexcusable."

Hahn found a way to get potential value for the injured Jesse Crain via a trade with the Rays that could turn out to be well worth his while if Crain gets healthy and makes any kind of impact in Tampa Bay. But if the White Sox had held on to Crain until August, "they'd have gotten nothing," said one exec, "because he'd have gotten claimed right away and probably pulled back."

www.espn.com

And while the Peavy trade "wasn't the kind of deal where you run around the room high-fiving after you make it," quipped one GM, a lot of clubs loved the upside of Avisail Garcia ("chance to be an All-Star," one scout said). And the White Sox at least have a chance to hit on the young pool of prospects they got from Boston, particularly the smoke-balling Francelis Montas. ("I just saw Montos," one scout said. "Wow. Electric. And he can pitch. He's a long ways away. But we'll see.")

Finally, remember that Hahn pulled this off for a team that never sold, or believed in selling, during the Kenny Williams era. "So I'm sure," one fellow exec said, "he had to do a lot of arm-twisting in that organization just to get them to sign off on what he did."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 06:23 AM)
Perhaps, but if you're going with Morneau you're not gonna have one of Tank, Dunn, Rios, De Aza, or Garcia in the lineup and they all play a huge role in my dream.

De Aza because we need a leadoff hitter.

Rios because I think he's smash in front of Cano

Without Dunn the lineup loses a good deal of power.

And without guys like Garcia and Tank(who like I said they should extend now) the lineup could get rather costly.

Getting a guy who produces so well at 2B makes all the difference in the world.

Extending Tank now IMO would be ridiculous. He still could be a complete bust. If he's willing to go 4 mill a year or 3 mill, OK. No big contract for Tank. He is not a real major league outfielder/slugger yet, no way.

I still think the Sox make a run at Ellsbury. Slide De Aza over to left and have Tank/Dunn split 1B/DH duty. With his injury concerns I don't he's going to get the huge contract he would have gotten after 2011 if he had been a free agent. I also still think Rios gets moved to make room for Garcia.

Order in which I'd be interested in free agents:

Cano

McCann

Ellsbury

Infante

Saltalamacchia

Uribe

I'm definitely not saying the Sox could go out and outbid teams for these guys, especially Cano, but these are guys I'd most like to see.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 12:38 AM)
I certainly realize that, 25M a year, at least . I just think with the 20M they saved from Peavy, the 25M coming in from the TV deal, and the what 20M+ that's coming off the books next year that the Sox can afford to do it.

I doubt he leaves NY, and even if he does the White Sox obviously don't look like an attractive but if he was willing to come here I just couldn't say no....This is all just pipedream talk lol let me have my fun.

The $25 million a year isn't the problem. It's the 10 year long contract that kills you. You have to keep paying him that much through age 41. In today's drug-less baseball, players don't age as well as they did in the 90s

The big ticket guys seem to not live up to the billing. It's the second tier FA, or former top players coming off of injury where you get the bargains and production, like the Sox with Dye.

I think it would be overly optimistic to put the chances of the Sox signing Cano at anything above zero.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:47 AM)
The $25 million a year isn't the problem. It's the 10 year long contract that kills you. You have to keep paying him that much through age 41. In today's drug-less baseball, players don't age as well as they did in the 90s

That's a good point. 35 year olds are old again.

The Sox are in a position now where they can't afford to give 3-4 year contracts to guys in their 30's.

It's gotta be young guys and veterans on 1-2 year contracts, while they try to rebuild the farm system.

Lean times ahead, but they have to pay the price for doing it wrong the last five years.

A lot of players lose their incentive to perform when they get that long-term contract in or past their prime as well. You can use a free agent or 2 to supplement, after you have a strong core. We have no core. Getting a catcher and CF who can play defense and a 1B who can hit and field his position would be a good start....neither of those are that hard to find.

Many of you need to read the new thread I created about Rick Hahn on with Spiegel and Finfer this morning. Those of you that want free agents this offseason are going to be disappointed. Many will be spent on the draft and on the international market. Maybe a free agent here and there. 2014 is a wash.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
Many of you need to read the new thread I created about Rick Hahn on with Spiegel and Finfer this morning. Those of you that want free agents this offseason are going to be disappointed. Many will be spent on the draft and on the international market. Maybe a free agent here and there. 2014 is a wash.

Just to remind, teams can't do this any more. There's really diminishing returns on how many scouts you send to see the same 3-4 players, and spending on international players is now capped.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:54 AM)
Order in which I'd be interested in free agents:

Cano

McCann

Ellsbury

Infante

Saltalamacchia

Uribe

I'm definitely not saying the Sox could go out and outbid teams for these guys, especially Cano, but these are guys I'd most like to see.

Salty is a switch hitter right? That actually might make some sense as a guy to put out there with Phegley on a short deal. If they're not ready to completely cut Flowers out, they could move those guys between C and 1b/DH to spread at bats around as well.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)

There is a limit on what they can spend on the draft and international free agents. Assuming the Sox payroll makes them break even, with the extra $25 million from a new TV contract, and with Thornton, Crain, Peavy, Floyd, Konerko off the books, or $1 million for Paulie, there still is plenty of cash left over after maxing out on the young guys.

Oh, and to answer the question where the money actually goes, my guess is that the list for the offseason looks something like:

Extend Quintana

Extend Reed

Extend Beckham (No reason to go to arbitration for another year, he's worth risking something like $3/15 guaranteed on with an option/buyout)

Maybe extend Santiago

Get all those guys locked up, and then:

Sign at least 1, more likely 2-3 more veteran bullpen arms, including at least 1 lefty.

Fix the **** bench. This step probably will involve bringing in a few guys (like Salty as I noted in the last post) who can contribute, maybe do several things, and can do those things well enough to actually get playing time. Guys coming off bad seasons or injuries would be idea.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
Oh, and to answer the question where the money actually goes, my guess is that the list for the offseason looks something like:

Extend Quintana

Extend Reed

Extend Beckham (No reason to go to arbitration for another year, he's worth risking something like $3/15 guaranteed on with an option/buyout)

Maybe extend Santiago

Sign at least 1, more likely 2-3 more veteran bullpen arms, including at least 1 lefty.

Fix the **** bench. This step probably will involve bringing in a few guys (like Salty as I noted in the last post) who can contribute, maybe do several things, and can do those things well enough to actually get playing time. Guys coming off bad seasons or injuries would be idea.

Still too early to extend Beckham until he proves he can hit for a 725-750 OPS for the rest of the year.

Otherwise, you just keep him for 2014 with no guarantee beyond that.

It's a slight risk, but how likely is he to put a 850-900 OPS and make the Sox look stupid for not extending him?

Hope someone claims Danks, Rios, Ramirez, Dunn, Lindstrom and possibly Konerko (depends on his feelings) on waivers.

Give DeAza the rest of the season to show he can be a better all-around fundamentally-sound player.

Start sifting through bullpen candidates...for the remainder of 2013, including Webb and Santos Rodriguez, Castro, Rienzo, Axelrod, Petricka, etc.

Maybe add one veteran there for some stability coming off an injury or disappointing season (like a JJ Putz, Broxton or Brian Wilson type).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)

Extend Quintana

Extend Reed

Maybe extend Santiago

Agree on extending Quintana, I would trade Reed though given the short shelf life of closers and the abundance of bullpen arms on the farm. Agree on extending Beckham, but would probably market Santiago to see what guy of offensive talent we can get back (preferably LH 3B and CF).

I would also re-sign Floyd and someone like Shaun Marcum on a one year deal to provide depth in case Johnson and Rienzo aren't ready for prime time. Hopefully Marcum performs up to his peripherals from this season and you can move him at the deadline next year and get some value back. I think the Sox probably also take a college SP with their first pick next year to fortify the rotation with Beede, Rondon, or Hoffman, whichever is available when they pick.

The Sox will have about double their pool from this season next year in both the draft and in international free agency, so some of the money will go there. I don't see many free agents that are an upgrade to anything on the roster. Cano is out of the teams price range, Ellsbury and Choo are Boras clients, McCann is probably not worth giving up the draft pick for a rebuilding team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
Just to remind, teams can't do this any more. There's really diminishing returns on how many scouts you send to see the same 3-4 players, and spending on international players is now capped.

I am aware of this. They will spend their entire pool though. They will have upwards of $10 million to spend on the draft. That is still their own money that they are spending though. I would expect that they use all of their allotted amount in the international market as well.