Post Deadline Top 10

fathom

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I personally would put Johnson ahead of Garcia still. Call me crazy.

Your crazy. :P I'd probably flip flop Semien and Thompson (though I personally base alot on upside/potential) but I like the list.

Edited by SoxAce

I think Garcia goes ahead of Johnson.

I'm having a hard time placing Semien. I still think Thompson rates ahead of him, but I could see putting him a 4. Sorry to cop out, but I would like to see Semien keep this pace up for a bit to see if he truly belongs there. The problem is the poor performances of Hawkins and Anderson kind of forces the issue.

Here's my question, if Semien continues to play at a high level, how is he not a top 5 prospect in the Southern League? And if he's a top 5 prospect in one of the three AA leagues, how is he not a top 100 prospect? Based on that logic, he has to be top 3 in our system, because only Garcia and possibly Johnson would make it right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
My non-expert opinion:

1- A. Garcia

2- E. Johnson

3- M. Semien

4- T. Thompson

5- C. Hawkins

6- T. Anderson

7- A. Rienzo

8- M. Johnson

9- S. Snodgress

10- B. Jacobs

Just missing: T. Danish, C. Beck, J. Petricka, C. Sanchez, K. Barnum

I'd flip-flop Anderson and Hawkins and then put Wilkins in for Snodgress and then totally agree.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)
I'd flip-flop Anderson and Hawkins and then put Wilkins in for Snodgress and then totally agree.

You gotta get off this Wilkins thing. An .815 OPS for a 24-year-old in AAA isn't top 10 material.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
You gotta get off this Wilkins thing. An .815 OPS for a 24-year-old in AAA isn't top 10 material.

I would say 5.5 K/9 for a 23yo in AA isn't very good either, which is the guy I'm replacing him with. Andy Wilkins has put up mid-.800s OPS at every level. Wilkins had a 151 wRC+ in AA this year and already has a 120 wRC+ in AAA after a very slow start at that level. He's a prospect, especially in our system

BA had him as our #12 prospect entering this season and it seems that he has improved his stock since then

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:35 PM)
I feel like I want to put Danish in the top 10 but I really can't find a spot for him.

I view him higher then Snodgress and soxtalk's boner Micah Johnson, but that's just me personally. But part of these list is about performance and even though Danish has great peripherals, doesn't have quite the body of work to fully judge yet, hence why fathom's list to me (minus a change or two whoever you ask) is fine.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
I'd put Garcia first also. But that might have changed had EJ dominate Charlotte instead of the DL for the last month.

Garcia is head and shoulders the top prospect in the organization right now, imo. Johnson is nice but Garcia's upside > Johnson. I look forward to next year when Hawkins takes steps forward and Thompson breaks out for good (what...I'm going to be an optimist today!!!). That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the above happened.

I think what we're starting to see (Chisoxfn's last post in PHT was optimistic along these lines as well) is that there is at least enough legitimate talent and production with our prospects and young major leaguers that it is fathomable that we could wind up with a great young core. Now, that will take some luck -- luck in the sense that we get a very good turnout rate from our current young MLBers and our upper echelon prospects. Nonetheless, a few years ago nobody in their right mind thought we had this many potential impact big leaguers in the pipeline.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
I still don't see why you guys have Hawkins rated so high. Not even close to top 10 IMO. Fast forward to one year from now.....If he has similar numbers then, will you still rank him in Top Ten? Not me.

Not sure how that can be a serious statement

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:37 AM)
I still don't see why you guys have Hawkins rated so high. Not even close to top 10 IMO. Fast forward to one year from now.....If he has similar numbers then, will you still rank him in Top Ten? Not me.

Ranking prospects is a balance of talent and production. While the production side of Courtney is fairly low (not zero, though - he's playing center field well and showing off that power tool), the talent side is sky high. The net is still a very valuable prospect at this point.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
Ranking prospects is a balance of talent and production. While the production side of Courtney is fairly low (not zero, though - he's playing center field well and showing off that power tool), the talent side is sky high. The net is still a very valuable prospect at this point.

Agreed I put hawkins in a similar space as Joey Gallo, this offseason and next will be very telling for him if he takes a step forward if he can get that B% up to 11% and his K% back down to 23-24% he will remain a top 100 prospect probably slotting in around 55-75

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:37 AM)

It seems like you are making lists for what someone has done, instead of projecting what they are capable of doing

Edited by Jose Paniagua