Post Deadline Top 10

fathom

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
What?? Semien is a way better prospect than Sanchez. Even if he's a lesser defensive player, his offensive game is much more complete and his ceiling is much higher than Sanchez's because he actually has some power. I don't know how this is even debatable.

Also, I'm a big fan of Sanchez, picked him as my sleeper prospect prior to last year, but his 2012 season was inflated by an unsustainable BABIP.

Always feels odd to be on two sides of the same argument. I've ranked Semien higher than others the past few lists, but now, I have to defend that I think he's only just past Sanchez at this point.

A year younger and a level higher is very significant. Defense is significant too. I don't think you can say - yet - that Semien is a "way better" prospect that Sanchez. Might be true a year from now (or heck, one of them may be MLB'ers by then, or even both), but right now, I think Semien's ascent in the past month or so has just put him over the top. Barely.

Just my opinion of course.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
Always feels odd to be on two sides of the same argument. I've ranked Semien higher than others the past few lists, but now, I have to defend that I think he's only just past Sanchez at this point.

A year younger and a level higher is very significant. Defense is significant too. I don't think you can say - yet - that Semien is a "way better" prospect that Sanchez. Might be true a year from now (or heck, one of them may be MLB'ers by then, or even both), but right now, I think Semien's ascent in the past month or so has just put him over the top. Barely.

It will take much more than a few good months to convince me that either of them is more than flash in the pan. It seems like every year we have a couple of position players that play way over their heads that everyone gets excited about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
It will take much more than a few good months to convince me that either of them is more than flash in the pan. It seems like every year we have a couple of position players that play way over their heads that everyone gets excited about.

Semien was great last year as well. He's proven he's not a flash in the pan. Sanchez certainly has time to figure it out but Semien does everything better at the plate compared to Carlos. Sanchez is a decent prospect but Semien is on a whole other level imo.

Edited by Rowand44

I will say this about Sanchez, his BB & K rates aren't drastically different than they were last year, but his BABIP is way down, even below his low A & high A figures. He's probably hit better than his current average suggests. Again, I really like Sanchez, but I think we all got a little carried away with him last year, myself included.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 01:35 PM)

Semien has better tools across the board. I think people are too far down on Sanchez right now (unjustly, imo) which is part of the argument but Semien has really showed off his tools and the production can't be questioned. Long term, both seem like safe bets to play in the majors, Semien has better offensive tools to stick as a starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)

Neither Sanchez or Semien have been flashes in the pan. Both have had productive minor league careers. Semien was really good last year too...he's just been downright stellar this year (especially the past month or two).

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
1. Avisail Garcia

2. Erik Johnson

3. Trayce Thompson

4. Courtney Hawkins

5. Tim Anderson

6. Marcus Semien

7. Andre Rienzo

8. Brandon Jacobs

9. Tyler Danish

10. Micah Johnson

11-15 Snodgress, Barnum, Sanchez, Petricka, Beck.

Good list. I love Daniel Webb though. I know hes a RP but I love what I have heard about him. Nathaniel Stoltz from BP told me on twitter that he thinks Webb is the best relief pitcher in the minors.

Since I've been shooting my mouth off about Hawkins, I'll list my Top 15:

1. Garcia

2. Semien

3. E Johnson

4. M Johnson

5. Rienzo

6. Jacobs

7. Danish

8. C Sanchez

9. Wilkins

10. Snodgrass

11. Webb

12. McCray

13. Ravelo

14. Petricka

15. Beck

16. Anderson

No Hawkins, no Trayce, no Barnum. I hope they all prove me wrong.

I like Webb, but I don't hold any relief prospect in especially high regard. I feel like there is such a low ceiling in terms of what good relievers are worth to your club.

If we had someone that was as good at hitting as Crain was at relieving, we'd be in third place

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
Why do you like Snodgress more than Rienzo?

Age, Rienzo is obviously enjoying some nice MLB success which is helping his cause a lot but he also had a 4.07 era at AAA and his whip there was a lot higher than it had been the previous few seasons. I think they are really close to each other in terms of prospect status though, which is middle of the rotation type starter and showing success at AA+.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
Age, Rienzo is obviously enjoying some nice MLB success which is helping his cause a lot but he also had a 4.07 era at AAA and his whip there was a lot higher than it had been the previous few seasons. I think they are really close to each other in terms of prospect status though, which is middle of the rotation type starter and showing success at AA+.

To look at Rienzo's overall ERA doesn't tell the whole picture. His month-by-month makes it seem like he figured something out. April: 7.71. May: 5.74. June: 2.30. July: 1.23.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)
I like Webb, but I don't hold any relief prospect in especially high regard. I feel like there is such a low ceiling in terms of what good relievers are worth to your club.

If we had someone that was as good at hitting as Crain was at relieving, we'd be in third place

True. But if the White Sox trust their scouting then they should be able to trade Addison Reed to a team that values back end relievers a little too much.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)

1. Garcia

2. Semien

3. E Johnson

4. M Johnson

5. Rienzo

6. Jacobs

7. Danish

8. C Sanchez

9. Wilkins

10. Snodgrass

11. Webb

12. McCray

13. Ravelo

14. Petricka

15. Beck

16. Anderson

That is an interesting list. McCray at 12? What makes you think McCray is that good? What do you know about his stuff that I don't?

Without even touching on some of the others, I'd say you are at an extreme towards performance in raw numbers when evaluating prospects. This ignores what just about everyone else looks at, especially in the lower levels of the minors. You have to take those raw numbers, especially for the younger guys, with a HUGE grain of salt. Being in the minors is not an audition of finished products. It is a development process.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)
There is absolutely no way Garcia is not #1.

There's at least one way he isn't - my way. He's 2nd for me.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)

1. Garcia

2. Semien

3. E Johnson

4. M Johnson

5. Rienzo

6. Jacobs

7. Danish

8. C Sanchez

9. Wilkins

10. Snodgrass

11. Webb

12. McCray

13. Ravelo

14. Petricka

15. Beck

16. Anderson

I think you put way too much faith into guys who will never sniff Chicago, and not enough consideration for the really aggressive promoting the Sox do of their top prospects.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 10:37 PM)
There is absolutely no way Garcia is not #1.

I agree fully. For me it is ceiling + level + chances at getting to ceiling. I think Garcia is right there for any discussion of how good a guy could be in our system. He is tearing up AAA, and he could be in Chicago any day now, quite literally. Honestly I think it is Garcia #1, with a pretty sizable gap between he and #2.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 10:26 PM)
To look at Rienzo's overall ERA doesn't tell the whole picture. His month-by-month makes it seem like he figured something out. April: 7.71. May: 5.74. June: 2.30. July: 1.23.

So is he just on a hot streak or is he legit? It's just a concern I have, and really placing him right next to Snodgress is fair imo. I have high hopes that both will fit in our rotation the next few years.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
So is he just on a hot streak or is he legit? It's just a concern I have, and really placing him right next to Snodgress is fair imo. I have high hopes that both will fit in our rotation the next few years.

He has legit stuff. He can get major league hitters out. But like nearly all pitchers who come up, his long term usefulness will be determined by how he learns to use that stuff as the book gets out on him. His stuff is good enough to get him to the big leagues, now he will need to learn how to pitch.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)

Well, with the way he has pitched in his first two starts, I am giving him the benefit of any doubt, at least right now.

What are your thoughts on White Sox righthander Erik Johnson? What is his realistic ceiling? He has excellent numbers this season in both Double-A and Triple-A, but it seems he isn’t talked about much.

Alan Johnson

Chicago

Newly acquired outfielder Avisail Garcia will lose his prospect status as soon as he gets one more big league at-bat, after which Johnson can make a legitimate claim to being the White Sox’ top prospect. The top starter on California’s 2011 College World Series team, he signed for $450,000 as a second-round pick that summer. He has gone 16-7, 2.35 with a 190-61 K-BB ratio in 203 pro innings, and the only thing that has slowed him down was a mild bout of shoulder fatigue at the start of 2012.

Johnson’s realistic ceiling is No. 3 starter. His best pitch is a lively 90-96 mph fastball, and his top secondary offering is a mid-80s cutter/slider. He also throws a curveball and a changeup, and he possesses solid control. The White Sox system gets little publicity because it’s one of the worst in baseball, but Johnson is a legitimate prospect deserving of more attention.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/ask-...hpaw-prospects/