Will Any Team Claim These Guys?

Marty34

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:49 AM)
What happens if you put a guy on waivers and a team claims him? Do you have to make a trade?

What happens if no team claims him?

Sox have the right to dump them on that team with all salary or work out a trade. Or do nothing.

Then Sox can work out a trade with anyone for that player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 12:27 AM)
Definitely not, but Rios and Dunn? I would let them go for nothing but full salary relief.

You know what? So would I.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:51 AM)
Sox have the right to dump them on that team with all salary or work out a trade. Or do nothing.

Then Sox can work out a trade with anyone for that player.

What happens if you can't work out details of a trade? Do u just give them the player and his contract? Or is he back to the White Sox?

I expect the Sox to be embroiled in a good number of rumors between now and the end of September. I also wonder if at any point they'd consider letting Ramirez, Rios or Dunn go for absolutely nothing other then salary relief. The other question is, will any of these guys clear waivers because of their contract (if you'd believe the rumors, you'd maybe think Rios and Dunn would go through) which would at that point, allow you to freely trade these guys and send cash (could be important depending on what happens from an injury perspective, etc).

If it were me, I'd keep Ramirez and only trade him for value. Dunn and Rios I'd let go purely for the salary relief and hope the Sox could better use their payroll on other assets.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 04:17 AM)
I expect the Sox to be embroiled in a good number of rumors between now and the end of September. I also wonder if at any point they'd consider letting Ramirez, Rios or Dunn go for absolutely nothing other then salary relief. The other question is, will any of these guys clear waivers because of their contract (if you'd believe the rumors, you'd maybe think Rios and Dunn would go through) which would at that point, allow you to freely trade these guys and send cash (could be important depending on what happens from an injury perspective, etc).

If any team wants to claim Ramirez or Dunn, you let them take those guys and their contracts.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
If any team wants to claim Ramirez or Dunn, you let them take those guys and their contracts.
I'd be really surprised if the team couldn't get something for Alexei. He's hitting pretty damn good and is still a valuable player. His defensive miscues are odd this year but overall he is what he is (and that is an above average shortstop without an unreasonable contract).

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 04:19 AM)

I'd flip flop Ramirez for Rios in that sentence and be OK with it. Alexei isn't a miserable player IMO. He has value to an MLB team even though he makes a decent wage.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
I'd flip flop Ramirez for Rios in that sentence and be OK with it. Alexei isn't a miserable player IMO. He has value to an MLB team even though he makes a decent wage.

I know it's beating a dead horse with you but...

Rios has a ton of value to other teams as well. I just saw that he hits .315 vs fastballs after hitting .361 the previous year. If you put Alex Rios in front of a really good hitter he's gonna see more fastballs and he's gonna be very productive. He would look really good in front of Beltre in Texas.

At this point Dunn, while still dangerous, isn't a guy an opposing pitcher is gonna say "Oh man I better not mess around with this guy with Dunn on deck"

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)

Agreed and same goes for John Danks. He is not worth what the $14+ million he is owed per season.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:20 AM)

Rios has a ton of value to other teams as well. I just saw that he hits .315 vs fastballs after hitting .361 the previous year. If you put Alex Rios in front of a really good hitter he's gonna see more fastballs and he's gonna be very productive. He would look really good in front of Beltre in Texas.

At this point Dunn, while still dangerous, isn't a guy an opposing pitcher is gonna say "Oh man I better not mess around with this guy with Dunn on deck"

Cmon, isn't it obvious after this trade deadline thing nobody wants to pay Rios and certainly nobody is going to claim him and pay the full amount of his remaining contract? Rios got 6 fricking hits in a game and still nobody wants to pay his full contract. If somebody truly valued Rios, he'd no longer be a member of the White Sox. Agree???

I would say if I were a GM, and wanted to overlook his reputation of being disinterested at times (how's that for a nice way of saying what I'd really like to say here) I think a fair salary for Rios now is about 3-4 million a year. Obviously teams agreed because NOBODY made the Sox a decent offer for him at the trade deadline.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:39 AM)
Cmon, isn't it obvious after this trade deadline thing nobody wants to pay Rios and certainly nobody is going to claim him and pay the full amount of his remaining contract? Rios got 6 fricking hits in a game and still nobody wants to pay his full contract. If somebody truly valued Rios, he'd no longer be a member of the White Sox. Agree???

I would say if I were a GM, and wanted to overlook his reputation of being disinterested at times (how's that for a nice way of saying what I'd really like to say here) I think a fair salary for Rios now is about 3-4 million a year. Obviously teams agreed because NOBODY made the Sox a decent offer for him at the trade deadline.

Before the July 31 trade deadline, there were several teams interested in Rios. He wasn't traded because no team met what Hahn was asking and offering. The Sox were not going to send money, so Hahn was asking for some prospects AND that the other team take on all of Rios' contract. Between now and August 31, there will be teams interested in him again, and there might be a point where he's claimed. If he's claimed, the Sox may decide to go the way of the Blue Jays and let him go for pure salary relief.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:20 AM)

Except no one really agrees with you who matters. The problem with Rios isn't talent or skill or whether he fits into a lineup. It's do teams vying for championships what players with such a lazy azzed disposition? When you have a player who dogs it on grounders, fly balls, throws into the infield...well, basically every aspect of an outfielders game then his value (despite talent) is such that championship teams don't want him. No wonder the Blue Jays dumped the POS....

If we get anything in the way of a prospect that breaths oxygen and isn't incarcerated for this bum I'll be shocked.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:20 AM)

What's beating a dead horse is try to get through that no, Rios doesn't have a ton of value. If he did, he would be somewhere else right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
Shared salary and a marginal prospect? If the Sox were OK with that, if they were claimed, they would just let the claiming team take on the entire contracts. Why pay for marginal prospects?

So the Sox could have the largest farm system of marginal prospects.

It makes so much sense to dump quality major league players for nothing...NOT! We are in no hurry and have no pressing need to "dump" players like Ramirez, Rios, Danks, Keppinger and Dunn. If they go they go in trades that bring returns to the Sox. I fully expect Rios to be dealt over the winter

One thing to point out, the Sox could also look to add potential players or bats through the waiver process. You never know what team is trying to move a guy because he's due for a raise, etc, and the Sox could look at this as a time to buy someone that fits on the roster long-term. Just throwing it out there.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 04:09 PM)
One thing to point out, the Sox could also look to add potential players or bats through the waiver process. You never know what team is trying to move a guy because he's due for a raise, etc, and the Sox could look at this as a time to buy someone that fits on the roster long-term. Just throwing it out there.

Yep, that might be our best bet of adding an impact bat for next season.