Danks and the waiver wire

Buehrle>Wood

42 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Yes
    • No

I'm one of the biggest Danks fans on this board, but with three young, cheap LH already (Sale, Santiago, Quintana) and potentially another if the sox really suck or what the Stros do (Rodon) might be best for the sox to part ways.

Edited by SoxAce

I don't think so. I expect Danks to be a lot better next year. On top of that, after next season Rios and Dunn are definitely gone. Danks at $15 million per isn't too bad at that point and you may be able to actually gets something. I really just don't want to sell low on Danks when his salary isn't really hampering the White Sox in the case of making moves.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
I'd consider it due to all our LHP, but probably not. I like Johnny and he's got plenty left in the tank.

Yep. Right now if there's one strength in this organization it's starting pitching. And that's the foundation of any successful club. Peavy was obviously expendable, but I think Johnny has shown a lot of improvement off that shoulder surgery. I'd like to see what he can do after another off season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 12:23 AM)
Absolutely not. I think he will be nearly worth his contract in 2014, once he gets to 100% healthy. If you can get something for him then maybe you do it, but letting him go for nothing would be an awful decision IMO.

Maybe being "nearly worth" his 14.5 million dollar contract isn't exactly enticing.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 06:31 PM)
I'm one of the biggest Danks fans on this board, but with three young, cheap LH already (Sale, Santiago, Quintana) and potentially another if the sox really suck or what the Stros do (Rodon) might be best for the sox to part ways.

And I'd honestly want to see Rienzo and Johnson get his starts and see if one or both develops into a nice MLB starter.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
Maybe being "nearly worth" his 14.5 million dollar contract isn't exactly enticing.

It's enticing enough that you don't dump him for nothing. You can never have enough pitching. Injuries happen. With so many young starters, regression is possible. The Sox aren't in financial despair where they need to dump money ASAP. Hold on to him, maybe you can get prospects back for him, or maybe he just returns to his pre-2011 levels.

If a team is brave enough to do so, adios Johnny. I am a Danks fan, but with the current state of the team, it would be wise to save that money for the future. Meanwhile it also gives a Rienzo or Johnson a chance to prove themselves at the mlb level. Besides, Sale and Quintana are the future lefties of this team. They are both young and effective. We shall never know if Danks will be the same...

One of Rienzo or Johnson will get the chance with Peavy gone. But I would like the other to get a shot too. Think they could be better then Danks but if they don't get that chance we will never know.

Sale

Quintana

Santiago

Rienzo

Johnson

Could be a really young good starting staff for years

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
One of Rienzo or Johnson will get the chance with Peavy gone. But I would like the other to get a shot too. Think they could be better then Danks but if they don't get that chance we will never know.

Sale

Quintana

Santiago

Rienzo

Johnson

Prospect fever . You're lucky if one becomes good in his rookie year next year. Actually thinking they both becone quality starters is a dubious prospositon.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
Prospect fever . You're lucky if one becomes good in his rookie year next year. Actually thinking they both becone quality starters is a dubious prospositon.

I think at least one of them will be good and the other will be good enough for the 5th spot in a rotation. Hell Dylan Axelrod was our 5th starter for a long time this year.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)

Sale

Quintana

Santiago

Rienzo

Johnson

Even if all of those work out you still need 6-7 starters for a good season. Without Danks the Sox do not have that depth next year or probably the year after.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
Even if all of those work out you still need 6-7 starters for a good season. Without Danks the Sox do not have that depth next year or probably the year after.

Im sure Axelrod will still be here and what about Snodgress?

Or we can just sign a long reliever that can fill in

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:16 PM)
Im sure Axelrod will still be here and what about Snodgress?

Or we can just sign a long reliever that can fill in

If you expect to win with three rookies in the top 6 starters, it won't happen. If you are throwing away next year, let 'er rip.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
If you expect to win with three rookies in the top 6 starters, it won't happen. If you are throwing away next year, let 'er rip.

Do you think we can win next year?? lol Hitting is what needs to change big time. Pitching is alright but I would give up Danks contract in order to get better hitters

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:22 AM)

Next year should absolutely be a throw away year, considering it's hard to imagine the Sox going on a FA spending spree like the Red Sox did.