July 31st Game thread

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it matters, but at this stage of the season wouldn't it have been smart to let Reed pitch another inning? I mean what Axe did was sooooo predictable.

Again, I realize it doesn't matter, but I was hoping he'd trot Reed back out there if nothing else but as a penalty for his putrid 9th inning. I'm just frustrated, but I knew the game was over when I saw Axe. Gutty guy, but his ship has sailed. Axe is like Humber. His days are numbered.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:33 AM)
Axelrod was bringing the heat in the relief role!

It'd be fun to be a big leaguer and step in against Axe. His pitches, even the good ones, scream 'hit me.'

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 08:35 PM)
Sad to watch konerko go out this way.

It really is and it's the worst part of this terribleness. I remember when Baines had his last tour with the Sox. He was bad but it wasn't surprising. Paulie's badness is somewhat sudden.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:13 AM)
Yesterday was the perfect type of loss. Rienzo pitched great, but they still lost. Much easier to accept that if Rienzo was horrible and they got destroyed.

Maybe the Sox should change the rules. They play eight inning games and record the win or loss after eight. Then purposely implode in the ninth and/or extras to get the 'L.' Sox could keep track of their record after 8 frames to see if they are making progress, but make sure they lose it in the 9th if for some reason they are winning after 8.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:26 AM)
Axelrod will make this game over

Good call.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:40 AM)
It really is and it's the worst part of this terribleness. I remember when Baines had his last tour with the Sox. He was bad but it wasn't surprising. Paulie's badness is somewhat sudden.

This is somewhat similar to Fisk, though Fisk could no longer see or catch the ball behind the plate. He's probably lucky he didn't get killed. Seriously. I don't know if he'd be able to get out of the way of an inside heater. Pitchers must have had mercy on him busting off slow stuff to whiff him or get him to pop up.

From all I can tell, Paulie can still field, though I haven't watched as many games this year for some reason.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:46 AM)
This is somewhat similar to Fisk, though Fisk could no longer see or catch the ball behind the plate. He's probably lucky he didn't get killed. Seriously. I don't know if he'd be able to get out of the way of an inside heater. Pitchers must have had mercy on him busting off slow stuff to whiff him or get him to pop up.

From all I can tell, Paulie can still field, though I haven't watched as many games this year for some reason.

I think he is hurt and that goes back to last year. I really can't believe his skills just up and left him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:37 PM)
Not that it matters, but at this stage of the season wouldn't it have been smart to let Reed pitch another inning? I mean what Axe did was sooooo predictable.

Again, I realize it doesn't matter, but I was hoping he'd trot Reed back out there if nothing else but as a penalty for his putrid 9th inning. I'm just frustrated, but I knew the game was over when I saw Axe. Gutty guy, but his ship has sailed. Axe is like Humber. His days are numbered.

Of course he could have pitched another inning.

wouldn't it have been smart not to waste the 2nd to best reliever in a low leverage situation in the 6th?

Axe may be out of fairy dust. But he doesn't have much short relief experience, and I'm not sure that the 10th inning is the time to give him his first taste.

I blame Ventura but it could be Cooper running this operation for all I know.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 03:48 AM)
This just doesn't end ... like a bad movie... a nightmare .... a bad marriage. Wow!

At the very least, Robin has to be embarrassed. Can you imagine going to work every day with these results? In the real world you'd get a lot of dirty looks and ultimately the pink slip if the guys you were responsible for were performing like this.