ARod suspended for entire 2014 season

Balta1701

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
Arod won't get banned for life because of the PED's. It will be for lying to investigators, coercing and intimidating witnesses and attempting to buy evidence.

Isn't most of the evidence based on the word of a drug dealer?

Isn't most of the evidence based on the word of a drug dealer?

Yes, but his word has been corroborated by the other MLB players who are getting suspended. That was the plan--give Braun and maybe some of the others reduced penalties for admitting the truth, which in turn built an ironclad case against ARod.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
Yes, but his word has been corroborated by the other MLB players who are getting suspended. That was the plan--give Braun and maybe some of the others reduced penalties for admitting the truth, which in turn built an ironclad case against ARod.

The union is also bending over backwards for Bud, which surprised me. If they do go with the lifetime ban, I can't wait to see out play out in court. You know A-Rod will lawyer up and not go down without a fight.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
The union is also bending over backwards for Bud, which surprised me. If they do go with the lifetime ban, I can't wait to see out play out in court. You know A-Rod will lawyer up and not go down without a fight.

The Union isn't bending over backwards for Bud. They're bending over backwards for their players.

Just from ARod and Braun we're talking about $400 million in contracts. That's $400 million that could have gone to clean players and instead is locked up in the bank accounts of a couple guys who cheated to get where they are.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)

It appears that the union is also bending to a change in sentiment within its membership, which seems to have shifted in the last several years to the position and views of the Frank Thomas’s. It was one thing when the rules were loosey-goosey, and the prevailing players' view was: "If it isn't expressly forbidden, I'm going to do whatever I can to earn the biggest $$$." Then, the union could publically oppose testing and fight discipline on privacy grounds, while really fighting to protect the earning power of membership.

Today, PEDs are expressly forbidden, and the players who take them put the ones who don't not only at a competitive disadvantage, but, more importantly an economic one. As always, it really about the $$$, but the pendulum has shifted as to whose backs the union most wants to protect.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)

ARod is so f***ed that nobody wants anything to do with him. The word is that the evidence is overwhelming. "Oh s***, son" overwhelming.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
It appears that the union is also bending to a change in sentiment within its membership, which seems to have shifted in the last several years to the position and views of the Frank Thomas's. It was one thing when the rules were loosey-goosey, and the prevailing players' view was: "If it isn't expressly forbidden, I'm going to do whatever I can to earn the biggest $$$." Then, the union could publically oppose testing and fight discipline on privacy grounds, while really fighting to protect the earning power of membership.

Today, PEDs are expressly forbidden, and the players who take them put the ones who don't not only at a competitive disadvantage, but, more importantly an economic one. As always, it really about the $$$, but the pendulum has shifted as to whose backs the union most wants to protect.

If that's the case, it might be time to start giving players like Chris Davis the benefit of the doubt again in regards to being clean. (That or they have found the newest super drug to get past the drug testing)

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
ARod is so f***ed that nobody wants anything to do with him. The word is that the evidence is overwhelming. "Oh s***, son" overwhelming.

Well nobody likes A-Rod either. But with the other players, there were no failed drug tests. Just an accused drug dealer's tests & testimony, not exactly the most trusted source.

Edited by LittleHurt05

Arod cheated multiple times and baseball might have turned a blind eye 10 years ago, but they haven't turned a blind eye for the past 5 years and Arod has got caught 2 different times during the period where they were being hard asses. Examples need to be made if the sport will be clean again and Selig and MLB are doing this right. Screw Arod, he tried to circumnavigate the whole system and he's going to pay the price.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
The Union isn't bending over backwards for Bud. They're bending over backwards for their players.

Just from ARod and Braun we're talking about $400 million in contracts. That's $400 million that could have gone to clean players and instead is locked up in the bank accounts of a couple guys who cheated to get where they are.

The general tone is the rest of the players are pissed and pretty much supporting MLB here. The one fear all of the players have is you don't want to create a tone or standard where owners can use PED's as an out from horrific contracts. So that is the one thing the players association has to be very careful of, imo. Otherwise you'll have Arte Moreno pricking Hamilton and Pujols with steroids while they sleep as a way to get out of those contracts.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Quit saying all the evidence they have is the "word of a drug dealer." All the investigative reporting suggests they have an absolute preponderance of evidence.

Sorry, MLB filed a civil lawsuit against a drug clinic and its founder to force him to talk and to release any of the clinic's records.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
It appears that the union is also bending to a change in sentiment within its membership, which seems to have shifted in the last several years to the position and views of the Frank Thomas’s. It was one thing when the rules were loosey-goosey, and the prevailing players' view was: "If it isn't expressly forbidden, I'm going to do whatever I can to earn the biggest $$$." Then, the union could publically oppose testing and fight discipline on privacy grounds, while really fighting to protect the earning power of membership.

Speaking of Frank, every scandal like this makes the odds better and better that he is a first ballot HOFer.

I wonder if people will have done their homework enough to think Frank didn't juice. Just looking at his size, the uninformed would think he is just another poster boy of the steroid era. I hope more than the Chicago media and fans will know the whole story.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
OTL Now running that the suspensions all come Monday, 12 players to be suspended (not the previously reported 8), negotiations with ARoid broke down today and no deal is expected to be reached with him.

Can we name em? Braun in the 12 or 12 others?

ARod

Cruz

Melky

Gio

Peralta

Colon

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 12:20 AM)
OTL Now running that the suspensions all come Monday, 12 players to be suspended (not the previously reported 8), negotiations with ARoid broke down today and no deal is expected to be reached with him.

So are they suggesting there are more players to be announced that haven't already been made public?

Edited by fathom