ARod suspended for entire 2014 season

Balta1701

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
I believe his positive test and suspension occured after 2005, right? When he was with the Phillies? Was Ozuna in the Mitchell report?

I believe you're right that his suspension was when he was in the Phillies minor leagues, but I'd guess he'd been on something for a while at that time. Go take a look at his 2006 numbers.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
Didn't the Mitchell RSomeonpercentention positive tests in 2003 before they imposed penalties? Didn't tmeite Sox as a team, not take the tests so the story goes, they would all be positve, yet no one would have it come back to haunt them?

That wasn't the Mitchell report iirc. The names were never supposed to be tied to the tests. Someone around 2009 figured out they were and started to leak some names to the media.

The Sox said they wouldn't take the tests so they would count as failed tests and mlb would have a better chance at meeting the minimum percent needed to get mandatory testing. Mlb made them test anyways.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
I think it would be very naive to think the White Sox had a much smaller percentage of their players juicing over the years than other teams.

One possible reason why they would have been cleaner wore #35 and was somewhat tall.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
Eh when you have Frank Thomas in the clubhouse you may think twice about it.

I disagree. Players juice so they can get paid. They aren't afraid of Frank. Yankees juice with Jeter and Rivera around. Cardinals juiced right under LaRussa's nose. Every team had juicers.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
Eh when you have Frank Thomas in the clubhouse you may think twice about it.

What's Frank gonna do, beat a teammate up for using steroids? This isn't junior high. Plus, you don't do that stuff in the clubhouse in front of your team, you do it on your own. If that's the difference between you being sent to AAA or signing a multi-year deal, do you really care what Frank Thomas is gonna say? It's your livelihood on the line.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 03:40 PM)
What's Frank gonna do, beat a teammate up for using steroids? This isn't junior high. Plus, you don't do that stuff in the clubhouse in front of your team, you do it on your own. If that's the difference between you being sent to AAA or signing a multi-year deal, do you really care what Frank Thomas is gonna say? It's your livelihood on the line.

There have been a ton of reports of guys juicing in the locker room over the years. For some reason that really seems to have been a major place where it was done and where guys showed other people on the team how to do it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
There have been a ton of reports of guys juicing in the locker room over the years. For some reason that really seems to have been a major place where it was done and where guys showed other people on the team how to do it.

But it's not a requirement and I would imagine the vast majority of it is done and has been done elsewhere.

But anyway:

$10 million a year and Frank Thomas mad at me?

or

50k a year and Frank telling everyone I was a great guy when he played with me.

Hmmm..........

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)

Interesting, I figured it would be more secretive due to the legality and what not. I still don't think his locker room presence would prevent players from doing them, plus with all the roster turnaround every year, it's not like it was the same 25 guys every season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
There have been a ton of reports of guys juicilimitedn the locker room over the years. For some reason that really seems to have been a major place where it was done and where guys showed other people on the team how to do it.

Yeah can't agree with what hurt said there. I think it's clear steroids were a clubhouse culture, not that they were limited to that. If it wasn't part of the culture in Chicago, then the opportunity may not present itself for certain players, not that they were necessarily morally superior or anything

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
As much as anyone could dislike ARod, it is pretty plain to see his punishment is totally unfair given the rest.

If even half of the rumors are true about some of the things he pulled to try to get away from this, I don't agree at all. Witness intimidation, obstruction of the investigation, lying to investigators etc. If he had done this stuff to the feds, he'd be in jail.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
As much as anyone could dislike ARod, it is pretty plain to see his punishment is totally unfair given the rest.

The players union is supporting him. The union head released a statement showing their support and calling out Selig for "not acting appropriately."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
Interesting, I figured it would be more secretive due to the legality and what not. I still don't think his locker room presence would prevent players from doing them, plus with all the roster turnaround every year, it's not like it was the same 25 guys every season.

I think another way you can see the effect of it being done in the locker rooms is in the way there seem to be certain "Circles" where a lot of people in the locker room were using, and even using the same supplier.

Canseco got the locker room in Oakland hooked and it stayed hooked for a decade. He then got the locker room in Texas hooked and it stayed hooked for a decade. Tejada and Palmeiro wound up being guys on Canseco's steroid tree, right down to the same "B-12 shots".

Take a look at this list and note all the Yankee connections. ARoid, Cervelli, Montero, Melky Cabrera, and then throw in a couple guys who happen to play for the Mets while you're at it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)

Sounds like he tried destroying evidence and bribed MLB or something along those lines. I'm more surprised they didn't go for further punishment.

Rangers Press Release

8/5/2013 3:22 P.M. ET

Statement from Nelson Cruz

I have been notified by the Commissioner of Major League Baseball that I have been suspended for 50 games for violation of the Joint Drug Agreement. I have decided to accept this suspension and not exercise my rights under the Basic Agreement to appeal. From November, 2011 to January, 2012, I was seriously ill with a gastrointestinal infection, helicobacter pylori, which went undiagnosed for over a month. By the time I was properly diagnosed and treated, I had lost 40 pounds. Just weeks before I was to report to spring training in 2012, I was unsure whether I would be physically able to play. Faced with this situation, I made an error in judgment that I deeply regret, and I accept full responsibility for that error. I should have handled the situation differently, and my illness was no excuse. I am thankful for the unwavering support of my

family, friends, and teammates during this difficult time. I look forward to regaining the trust and respect of the Rangers organization, my teammates, and the great Rangers' fans, and I am grateful for the opportunity to rejoin the team for the playoffs.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Sounds like he tried destroying evidence and bribed MLB or something along those lines. I'm more surprised they didn't go for further punishment.

Melky Cabrera did much of the same, yet his penalty last year for the same scandal was 50 games. Look for ARod's to get reduced. It might be more than 50, but 214 is way out of line.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Melky Cabrera did much of the same, yet his penalty last year for the same scandal was 50 games. Look for ARod's to get reduced. It might be more than 50, but 214 is way out of line.

I don't recall him intimidating witnesses, or trying to buy documents to destroy them to keep them away from MLB>

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Rangers Press Release

8/5/2013 3:22 P.M. ET

Statement from Nelson Cruz

I have been notified by the Commissioner of Major League Baseball that I have been suspended for 50 games for violation of the Joint Drug Agreement. I have decided to accept this suspension and not exercise my rights under the Basic Agreement to appeal. From November, 2011 to January, 2012, I was seriously ill with a gastrointestinal infection, helicobacter pylori, which went undiagnosed for over a month. By the time I was properly diagnosed and treated, I had lost 40 pounds. Just weeks before I was to report to spring training in 2012, I was unsure whether I would be physically able to play. Faced with this situation, I made an error in judgment that I deeply regret, and I accept full responsibility for that error. I should have handled the situation differently, and my illness was no excuse. I am thankful for the unwavering support of my

family, friends, and teammates during this difficult time. I look forward to regaining the trust and respect of the Rangers organization, my teammates, and the great Rangers' fans, and I am grateful for the opportunity to rejoin the team for the playoffs.

Uh, OK Nelson.

I'm sure this is the first time any of these players ever juiced, and I'm sure they all have decent excuses which they now realize are wrong for doing so. Why can't anyone just ever say. You got me. I messed up?

The only thing any of these guys are sorry for is being caught. If they had not, they wouldn't have ever mentioned it, unless they wanted to make some cash off it after their playing career.

Edited by Dick Allen

What ARod supposedly did was far more serious than what Melky did. I don't think that comparison is going to buy Arod anything.