Welcome Rienzo

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 12:37 AM)
I liked his presence on the mound. His curve reminded me of Jenks and Verlander. Handled a rough inning very well. I'm hoping we have something good .

Very surprised with his curve. I thought everyone was talking about his cutter and I didn't really see that. Had some good location on his fastball a few times that I saw (didn't get to see his whole start).

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:37 PM)
Very surprised with his curve. I thought everyone was talking about his cutter and I didn't really see that. Had some good location on his fastball a few times that I saw (didn't get to see his whole start).

He had a few K's going up the ladder with the fastball too.

Only saw some highlights. The cutter could be the pitch Don Cooper helps him improve with and that could make the difference for him as a winner. He looked decent though and you always have to like seeing a youngster not implode when things get a bit rough

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
I need to see that cutter that is supposedly damn good. I was very impressed with his curve and his fastball is good enough but he needs a quality 3rd pitch to be a starter.

I saw it in the Futures Game and was blown away by it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
I need to see that cutter that is supposedly damn good. I was very impressed with his curve and his fastball is good enough but he needs a quality 3rd pitch to be a starter.

I think he threw a change up once in a while. Not sure how often or if it was for strikes. He was hot lately and he was right around the strike zone the whole time. I thought he'd be a little bit more wild. We'll see how his control holds up in his next few starts.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
Seems to be the consensus. That being said, from the little I watched on Tuesday he didn't throw it very much at all.

Maybe Coop thought the curve was his best pitch . Could be he throws the curve more often for strikes and they want him to be in the strike zone more often . A big breaking overhand curve is quite a weapon but also one of the hardest pitches for umps to judge and hitters to hit. What appears on TV to be a ball ( catcher dipping his glove to catch it) actually usually is in the zone at the knees. I'm sure we'll see more of his cutter in his next start and see if he can throw it for strikes consistently.

He worked fast and he looks like he can get some strike outs, but I don't think he will be more than a middle rotation type starter, that said I like his approach on the mound and his curve was nasty. I think he will stick in the majors and log a couple 200 inning seasons as a Gavin Floyd type.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
He worked fast and he looks like he can get some strike outs, but I don't think he will be more than a middle rotation type starter, that said I like his approach on the mound and his curve was nasty. I think he will stick in the majors and log a couple 200 inning seasons as a Gavin Floyd type.

You make that sound like a bad thing. That would be great actually.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
And both Quintana and Santiago are pitching like solid number 2 starters.

Makes me think of an old classic comedy, Murder by Death.

Lionel Twain: “I'm the greatest, I'm number one!”

Sam Diamond: “To me, you look like number two, know what I mean?”

Or Rodney Dangerfield's famous quote: “Look out for number one and try not to step in number two.”