Rick Hahn on McNeil and Spiegel Show

Y2Jimmy0

If the Sox can dump Rios, either in August or in the offseason... maybe Lindstrom too, maybe Alexei, for argument's sake... your roster would look something like the below, if you look ONLY at players under contract or already in-house:

C: Phegley

1B: Wilkins

2B: Beckham

SS: Semien or Sanchez

3B: Gillaspie

OF: Viciedo

OF: Garcia

OF: De Aza

DH: Dunn

Bench...

C: Flowers

INF: Sanchez or Semien, maybe, or someone else cheap

OF: JorDanks or whomever

??: ?

Rotation...

Sale

Quintana

Johnson

Danks

Rienzo or Santiago

Bullpen...

Reed (CL)

Jones

Webb

Castro

Axelrod

Veal

Santiago or Rienzo

Lots of big question marks there, but also a very young roster with some very nice talent, and... only about $45M plus arb salaries to deal with. That might make it $55M. The opening day payroll this season was something like $104M. The team gets an extra $25M in TV money. Even if they decide to cut payroll a bit, despite the new money, they've probably still got $30M-$40M to play with to add to the above roster.

I absolutely would not write off contending next year. That is a pretty damn good rotation (though lefty-heavy), that is a bullpen with some untested but talented arms, and even the lineup has young talent. But if you use that $30-$40M to get above average hitters (hopefully with some power) for a couple positions (and you could do it at almost ALL those positions, though 1B and 3B stick out)... you can make a decent lineup there.

Just saying, I don't consider 2014 a full-on write-off... yet. Have to see how the offseason goes.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What it will come down to next year if they keep these guys around is...1. Improving the defense and fundamentals, and 2: Getting improved offensive production from Viciedo, Phegley, Beckham (once wrist heals), Garcia, Gillaspie and whoever takes 1b.

It's not hanging entirely on 1-2 guys (like the Royals lineup, for example) so that's positive, and there's a lot of room for improvement there, but they really need solid growth from most of those guys to become competitive.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
I'm sorry, but if we don't add a couple of guys that can improve the team's OBP, we won't be competing next year. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that, but we're not going win s*** with a team .OBP hovering around .300.

I agree. I think we need a high-impact bat at 1B- that's gotta be a priority. Stick Mr. 40/550 Productive Swings Per Year at DH.

Most teams have some bad players in the lineup. Pitchers are destroying hitters these days. We don't need that much to compete next year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
If Alexei is still around next season, I'd rather have Semien starting at 3b than Gillaspie.

I disagree. If Alexei is around, he won't be around much longer. Semien is one of those borderline SS types, I'd rather him get consistent reps there in AA/AAA to maximize his chance of staying when Ramirez is gone.

Just listened to the Hahn interview thought he provided an honest assessment of the situation. Bothered by Spiegel's insistent that they be more "transparent" in an obvious comparison to Theo & Jed. Hahn pretty much said it serves no purpose. He should have said all it is, is self-promotion.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
If the Sox can dump Rios, either in August or in the offseason... maybe Lindstrom too, maybe Alexei, for argument's sake... your roster would look something like the below, if you look ONLY at players under contract or already in-house:

C: Phegley

1B: Wilkins

2B: Beckham

SS: Semien or Sanchez

3B: Gillaspie

OF: Viciedo

OF: Garcia

OF: De Aza

DH: Dunn

Bench...

C: Flowers

INF: Sanchez or Semien, maybe, or someone else cheap

OF: JorDanks or whomever

??: ?

Rotation...

Sale

Quintana

Johnson

Danks

Rienzo or Santiago

Bullpen...

Reed (CL)

Jones

Webb

Castro

Axelrod

Veal

Santiago or Rienzo

Lots of big question marks there, but also a very young roster with some very nice talent, and... only about $45M plus arb salaries to deal with. That might make it $55M. The opening day payroll this season was something like $104M. The team gets an extra $25M in TV money. Even if they decide to cut payroll a bit, despite the new money, they've probably still got $30M-$40M to play with to add to the above roster.

I absolutely would not write off contending next year. That is a pretty damn good rotation (though lefty-heavy), that is a bullpen with some untested but talented arms, and even the lineup has young talent. But if you use that $30-$40M to get above average hitters (hopefully with some power) for a couple positions (and you could do it at almost ALL those positions, though 1B and 3B stick out)... you can make a decent lineup there.

Just saying, I don't consider 2014 a full-on write-off... yet. Have to see how the offseason goes.

Stranger things have happened, but that lineup doesn't even look remotely like a contender to me

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:01 AM)
Stranger things have happened, but that lineup doesn't even look remotely like a contender to me

I'm pretty sure he recommended adding some veteran players to that lineup via free agency. If not, that's a 100 loss team with ease.

Sign me some Ellsbury for CF and lead off, Tank to 1st, Semien at SS and shop Santiago and Rios for a 3rd baseman and some salary relief

LF - De Aza

CF - Ellsbury

RF - Garcia

1B - Tank

2B - Beckham

3b - Trade/FA

C - Phegley

SS - Semien

Sale, Q, Johnson, Danks and Rienzo starting

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
If Alexei is still around next season, I'd rather have Semien starting at 3b than Gillaspie.

Indeed. That is the one position where I'm really happy to give someone else a shot -- and if you could get a veteran (a good one) at that spot, I'd jump at the chance. Conor is fine as a placeholder, but it's a spot on the team where you don't have a truly promising young player who you'd like to see get a chance to develop and it has been our hands down least productive position in the past two years.

I'd be happy to try Marcus there. If Marcus hits and looks like a staple offensively, this is when I shop Alexei. I think I established well through my other posts that Alexei is probably the least replaceable player on the team. SS is the only position that has been ranking in the top half of the league production-wise for us, so we really do not want to take a step back there as we're really trying to build. If Marcus can hit at about league average wRC+ though, he can certainly make up for the fact that there's no way that he's a fielder of Alexei's caliber. At that point, you'd seek a 3B...I say that because I don't see a 3B in our system that will be ready in the next 1 or 2 years.

Next year, you have to see what you've got. You let the young guys play and you assume that some of them are going to play really well and show you that they are going to be a permanent part of your team. The ones that convince you that they aren't capable of being part of the long term future can be replaced following the 2014 season by veterans or whomever.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)
Indeed. That is the one position where I'm really happy to give someone else a shot -- and if you could get a veteran (a good one) at that spot, I'd jump at the chance. Conor is fine as a placeholder, but it's a spot on the team where you don't have a truly promising young player who you'd like to see get a chance to develop and it has been our hands down least productive position in the past two years.

I'd be happy to try Marcus there. If Marcus hits and looks like a staple offensively, this is when I shop Alexei. I think I established well through my other posts that Alexei is probably the least replaceable player on the team. SS is the only position that has been ranking in the top half of the league production-wise for us, so we really do not want to take a step back there as we're really trying to build. If Marcus can hit at about league average wRC+ though, he can certainly make up for the fact that there's no way that he's a fielder of Alexei's caliber. At that point, you'd seek a 3B...I say that because I don't see a 3B in our system that will be ready in the next 1 or 2 years.

Next year, you have to see what you've got. You let the young guys play and you assume that some of them are going to play really well and show you that they are going to be a permanent part of your team. The ones that convince you that they aren't capable of being part of the long term future can be replaced following the 2014 season by veterans or whomever.

He'll be 32 next year, currently has a 77 OPS+ for a team on pace to lose 95+ games this year, and is owed ~$20M. He needs to be one of the first out the door.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)
He'll be 32 next year, currently has a 77 OPS+ for a team on pace to lose 95+ games this year, and is owed ~$20M. He needs to be one of the first out the door.

He has the 13th highest WAR of any shortstop in baseball. No player ranks better among his cohorts on this team. I don't like his bat either, but holistically he is highly valuable for us.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
He has the 13th highest WAR of any shortstop in baseball. No player ranks better among his cohorts on this team. I don't like his bat either, but holistically he is highly valuable for us.

I could not disagree more with your conclusion.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)

Alexei has value because of his defense and the scarcity of the position, but his bat is a major part of our offensive problems. I disagree with your logic of getting rid of him at all costs, but I tend to agree we need to go in another direction at SS. It's too bad we couldn't work out a deal with the Cardinals as he would have been a perfect fit for them. If we do move him, it will most likely have to be in the offseason, because I think there will be a couple teams that claim him this month.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 01:34 AM)
With all the talk of pitching and extra payroll, I would bet the farm we trade one of Santiago or Quintana for a big bat in the off-season, especially if Rienzo and Johnson keep putting the pressure on.

I'll gladly take your farm off you.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
Alexei has value because of his defense and the scarcity of the position, but his bat is a major part of our offensive problems. I disagree with your logic of getting rid of him at all costs, but I tend to agree we need to go in another direction at SS. It's too bad we couldn't work out a deal with the Cardinals as he would have been a perfect fit for them. If we do move him, it will most likely have to be in the offseason, because I think there will be a couple teams that claim him this month.

I want to see Beckham at short the rest of the year, Gillaspie at second (groom to be a super-sub of sorts), and Morel at third. The Sox lose valuable evaluation time with every game Ramirez plays.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 1, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
I want to see Beckham at short the rest of the year, Gillaspie at second (groom to be a super-sub of sorts), and Morel at third. The Sox lose valuable evaluation time with every game Ramirez plays.

I'd much rather see Semien playing SS in this scenario with Gillaspie at 3B and Gordon at home at 2B. Just say no to Morel, it's a bad drug