Viciedo to 1st Base?

Y2Jimmy0

Many of us on this board have discussed the pros/cons of Dayan Viciedo moving to 1B. Well Mark Gonzalez had a couple of tweets that mentioned Viciedo taking balls at 1st Base today.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales 10m

VIciedo getting early work at first base: pic.twitter.com/uIvGmDBXlm

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales 8m

Viciedo took some grounders at third base in Toronto in April. Today's work at first looks more serious, with throws to 2b, flips to 1b

What do you guys think? Just a way to plan ahead for Garcia coming up soon? Something on the horizon with Dunn or PK?

It tells me initially that Garcia will be the CF when he comes up possibly with De Aza going to LF.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
if this is what it takes to get rid of Adam Dunn, count me in.

Chances are Dunn is the DH with Tank at 1B.

Dunn has been really good for 2 months now, when are you haters gonna cut him some slack. We want obp on this team right? his obp the last 2 months has been in the .390s.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
It'd really suck to just make Dayan's arm totally useless.

This isn't necessarily a permanent move, of course. It just buys you time with Rios so you don't have to just dump him to get Garcia ABs

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
This isn't necessarily a permanent move, of course. It just buys you time with Rios so you don't have to just dump him to get Garcia ABs

I was thinking this thread was about a permanent move starting next season. I'm all for doing it for the rest of this season.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
I was thinking this thread was about a permanent move starting next season. I'm all for doing it for the rest of this season.

Well I don't know what they are thinking, but if they're practicing him there now I assume they'd like to at least start playing him there now. I don't see why they can't or wouldn't move him back to LF when/if we move Rios, though. Dayan isn't a good LF, but the stats tell us that he's not SO bad that he can't play out there. He's not far below replacement level defense as an OF and honestly it is possible that he costs us more runs as a 1B. I think/hope Hahn knows this.

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
I'm not sure he's a good enough offensive player to be a first baseman.

I'm also not sure if he's a good enough offensive player to be a left fielder.

Those are valid concerns. If he can consistently give us what he gave us last month though he'd be fine there in a rebuilding year. I'd say the only chance he isn't back in the OF in 2015 is if a guy like Jacobs or Thompson emerges as an everyday outfielder...Which would be a good problem to have....Or if he proves to be a good first basemen. If the power comes then they have their first basemen of the future.

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
I'm not sure he's a good enough offensive player to be a first baseman.

I'm also not sure if he's a good enough offensive player to be a left fielder.

I hate this. Sorry but I don't like the stigma that a corner outfielder or first baseman has to have a certain amount home runs or power. Viciedo has power. If he can hit the ball that is all that matters. Hitting with RISP is more important then how many home runs he will get. Viciedo will consistently put up at least 15 home runs in a full season, closer to 20 I think. If he can do that and hit better then .270 I would be fine with that.

Why does a 3B, 1B, RF, and LF have to have a certain amount of power?? We need players who get on base and can knock people in who are on base. Look at the Cardinals. Allen Craig has 11 home runs this year, a lot of power? Nope, but he gets hits. That is all we need.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)
I hate this. Sorry but I don't like the stigma that a corner outfielder or first baseman has to have a certain amount home runs or power. Viciedo has power. If he can hit the ball that is all that matters. Hitting with RISP is more important then how many home runs he will get. Viciedo will consistently put up at least 15 home runs in a full season, closer to 20 I think. If he can do that and hit better then .270 I would be fine with that.

Why does a 3B, 1B, RF, and LF have to have a certain amount of power?? We need players who get on base and can knock people in who are on base. Look at the Cardinals. Allen Craig has 11 home runs this year, a lot of power? Nope, but he gets hits. That is all we need.

I don't think we believe has to have power so much as he has to be a productive hitter...which will require him to hit with power.

Also, power normally requires size. Size tends to keep you from playing spots like SS/2B/CF. So you want the guys who aren't good enough athletes to play those positions to at least have the skill of hitting for power.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
I don't think we believe has to have power so much as he has to be a productive hitter...which will require him to hit with power.

Also, power normally requires size. Size tends to keep you from playing spots like SS/2B/CF. So you want the guys who aren't good enough athletes to play those positions to at least have the skill of hitting for power.

I'm a Tank supporter but evn I think he's a trade bait candidate. I hope he really hits well the rest of the way to make himself more valuable. He doen't have a position. Not good enough in left and too short for 1st.

I still want Adams from the Cards or Loney as a free agent and try to trade for someone like Ben Revere , Cain, Gomez for CF.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
Seems like a good enough way to get all of the young guys at bats. In the "we might win next year if everything goes right" scenario, we are much better off with Dunn at DH than at 1B

I'm glad you said "might win if everything goes right" because when you are 30 under .500, it's tough to immediately become a .500 team the following year. I personally think we are going to stink for a while. We need some amazing acquisitions and these acquisitions have to play well (that means you, Grandy and whatever catcher we pick up).

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 02:47 AM)
Get used to it first base is Tanks future home very soon.

Dayan at 5-11 just doesn't look like a first baseman. He also may be a candidate for a "change of scenery" trade. He's not cutting it as a White Sox.

Dayan at 5-11 just doesn't look like a first baseman. He also may be a candidate for a "change of scenery" trade. He's not cutting it as a White Sox.

Again, who would want him? What would you expect him to bring in a trade? He's an average-at-best hitter with no defensive position...

We're stuck with him for the foreseeable future, so let's hope he can show some improvement.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 04:25 AM)
Again, who would want him? What would you expect him to bring in a trade? He's an average-at-best hitter with no defensive position...

We're stuck with him for the foreseeable future, so let's hope he can show some improvement.

I wouldn't want much for him. Trade him for a big leaguer who is struggling and needs a change of scenery and one prospect this offseason.

Sweet Jesus, he's 24 years old and hasn't reached arbitration. He's not a good left fielder, but he's fine out there. Advanced metrics show that he's below average. That is okay. Dayan is young, cheap, and under our control for a long time. He's the type of player we should be out trying to get - young, potential impact bats.

If he blows the rest of this season (which he hasn't been doing lately) and then can't cut it next year, that's when you try to find a comparable guy who hasn't panned out. Mike Moustakas would be another example.

Here are the scenarios I see playing out with Viciedo (I should preface this by saying I don't see Viciedo every being a heart of the order, good offensive player)

1.) If the plan is to commit to an all out rebuild and dump veterans, play young guys, Viciedo at 1B is what it is. Not ideal, but might as well see.

2.) If the plan is to re-tool, spend a little money, and act like the Sox are going to compete, Viciedo as starting 1B is a terrible idea and odds are the Sox would remain under .500 unless Viciedo learned the art of hitting and/or big years from Dunn, Beckham, Garcia, Phegley, and others occur.

3.) If the plan is to re-tool, spend a decent amount of money, and try and compete, and have Viciedo as a situational and rotational player between 1B, DH, and LF (odds are in this situation those spots are filled by a lefty 1B via trade or FA, Dunn at DH, and De Aza in LF), thats not a bad situation.

4.) The plan is to re-tool or rebuild, Viciedo isn't in Hahn/Ventura's (I'm 90% confident Ventura will be back next season, only way he isn't is if HE steps down, White Sox would not fire him, at least not yet) picture and he is traded for another struggling/failed young player.

Unfortunately I see option number 2 going. I also think Rios will undoubtedly be traded, and that extra money will be horribly misused by signing Granderson.

I wouldn't mind Granderson if he would get a short, cheap contract, but odds are the White Sox would pay him handsomely, even though he is declining and on the wrong side of 30. He could be a good signing, but his bust factor is so high right now, and is exactly the type of FA the Sox should stay away from.

Hope I am wrong, but right now I have no reason for hope in this organization actually making good decisions regarding the future.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
Here are the scenarios I see playing out with Viciedo (I should preface this by saying I don't see Viciedo every being a heart of the order, good offensive player)

1.) If the plan is to commit to an all out rebuild and dump veterans, play young guys, Viciedo at 1B is what it is. Not ideal, but might as well see.

2.) If the plan is to re-tool, spend a little money, and act like the Sox are going to compete, Viciedo as starting 1B is a terrible idea and odds are the Sox would remain under .500 unless Viciedo learned the art of hitting and/or big years from Dunn, Beckham, Garcia, Phegley, and others occur.

3.) If the plan is to re-tool, spend a decent amount of money, and try and compete, and have Viciedo as a situational and rotational player between 1B, DH, and LF (odds are in this situation those spots are filled by a lefty 1B via trade or FA, Dunn at DH, and De Aza in LF), thats not a bad situation.

4.) The plan is to re-tool or rebuild, Viciedo isn't in Hahn/Ventura's (I'm 90% confident Ventura will be back next season, only way he isn't is if HE steps down, White Sox would not fire him, at least not yet) picture and he is traded for another struggling/failed young player.

Unfortunately I see option number 2 going. I also think Rios will undoubtedly be traded, and that extra money will be horribly misused by signing Granderson.

I wouldn't mind Granderson if he would get a short, cheap contract, but odds are the White Sox would pay him handsomely, even though he is declining and on the wrong side of 30. He could be a good signing, but his bust factor is so high right now, and is exactly the type of FA the Sox should stay away from.

Hope I am wrong, but right now I have no reason for hope in this organization actually making good decisions regarding the future.

What have you seen out of Hahn that makes you think he'd sign Granderson . I'd say it's a long shot at best.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside