Quintana's drug-related past

knightni

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, "sordid drug history" is very sensationalistic and Rob Neyer is a well enough known writer that he shouldn't have to resort to that.

Secondly, Quintana never really accomplished anything before his positive test, so it's not anywhere near the same as Braun or ARod, who won MVP awards while on PEDs.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Secondly, Quintana never really accomplished anything before his positive test, so it's not anywhere near the same as Braun or ARod, who won MVP awards while on PEDs.

Correct, although it won't (or hasn't if they did or didn't know) stop people on this board for mentioning the positive test, even as a 17 year old kid.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
First of all, "sordid drug history" is very sensationalistic and Rob Neyer is a well enough known writer that he shouldn't have to resort to that.

You realize he was being sarcastic, right? For purposes of making a point, that his history is anything but "sordid"?

You realize he was being sarcastic, right? For purposes of making a point, that his history is anything but "sordid"?

I wasn't 100% sure what angle he was going for there. To me, it sounded like he's saying that we shouldn't hold PED use against anybody because it didn't impact Quintana's major league numbers.

I think it's funny that White Sox fans wouldn't go to the ballpark last year to watch a 1st place team but there were meatballs walking up to attend a game to boo A-Rod. Mind boggling to me. Not to mention, the Sox have Quintana and Flowers on the roster who have both tested positive. Just funny.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
I wasn't 100% sure what angle he was going for there. To me, it sounded like he's saying that we shouldn't hold PED use against anybody because it didn't impact Quintana's major league numbers.

I think he's trying to make a point that you can't take anyone who's ever tested positive and paint them all with the same brush. I agree with him, there's a danger of going too far with this thing.

To me the title was meant to be a mocking of people making a big deal of drug suspensions.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
Correct, although it won't (or hasn't if they did or didn't know) stop people on this board for mentioning the positive test, even as a 17 year old kid.

Case in point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
Not to mention, the Sox have Quintana and Flowers on the roster who have both tested positive. Just funny.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 07:13 PM)
It's interesting to think though, that if someone slipped something into your food or drink and you tested positive, how easily you'd be blackballed from the game. I suppose if someone close to you had an alternative agenda, this could be done quite easily, no?

Odds of being found positive for that are probably zero.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
I think it's funny that White Sox fans wouldn't go to the ballpark last year to watch a 1st place team but there were meatballs walking up to attend a game to boo A-Rod. Mind boggling to me. Not to mention, the Sox have Quintana and Flowers on the roster who have both tested positive. Just funny.

I find it hard to believe people think this is at all interesting that after a season of crap, suddenly the baseball team you follow is in all the news that "tonight's" game will feature (insert anything) against the most popular team in the country and you don't think that would increase attendance.

Why does it matter how you perform on PEDs? If you win an MVP, it's worse than if you are in the minors?

I understand what Neyer is trying to say... but he has resorted to one of the classic argument styles used by people unwilling to engage in discussing the detals of a difficult issue: the slippery cliff. Not slope mind you - but making such hyperbolic examples of things that it becomes a cliff.

Equating a guy who got caught at 17 (and apparently didn't even know, but that is up for debate), was released, and had to start his career over... to a guy who spent years doing it to help his numbers in the majors... in terms of HOF credentials? Preposterous.

Lazy people want to make something subjective black and white. The comparison is laughable.

Why does it matter how you perform on PEDs? If you win an MVP, it's worse than if you are in the minors?

The question in this article was cast in the frame of reference of the Hall of Fame.

Quintana's use of PEDs (doesn't even really matter whether or not it was intentional) did not help him one iota in his quest to reach the HOF. He was in the minors when he was caught, got released, and had to essentially start his career over.

Players such as McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, Ramirez, Palmiero, Petitte, Rodriguez, and Braun used PEDs in the midst of their major league careers, and their use directly increased their ability to compile statistics that led to HOF consideration.

It's the difference between Frank Thomas being 18th on the all-time HR list and being 13th. He probably is getting in on the first ballot anyway, but without the stats compiled by the PED users he's getting 95%+ of the vote on the first ballot easy.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)

The attendance numbers for the last 2 nights have been right in line with the rest of the season so far. I doubt Arod playing in the game had much to do with it.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:13 PM)
The attendance numbers for the last 2 nights have been right in line with the rest of the season so far. I doubt Arod playing in the game had much to do with it.

Sox said they sold over 4k tickets on GAME DAY for Monday's game. And they had like 29k, or something, I think (I should look up the exact number). There was a definite A-Rod bump for Monday. Tuesday's game came down to more like normal levels, I think.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)
The question in this article was cast in the frame of reference of the Hall of Fame.

Quintana's use of PEDs (doesn't even really matter whether or not it was intentional) did not help him one iota in his quest to reach the HOF. He was in the minors when he was caught, got released, and had to essentially start his career over.

Players such as McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, Ramirez, Palmiero, Petitte, Rodriguez, and Braun used PEDs in the midst of their major league careers, and their use directly increased their ability to compile statistics that led to HOF consideration.

It's the difference between Frank Thomas being 18th on the all-time HR list and being 13th. He probably is getting in on the first ballot anyway, but without the stats compiled by the PED users he's getting 95%+ of the vote on the first ballot easy.

Using PEDs at the lower level can take away a roster spot from another player and ruin any chance they had at making the majors. Kind of like the Dan Meyer/Antonio Bastardo situation. IMO that's way worse than moving up a few spots on the HR list. Quintana was super young, but his performance could have taken away a paycheck from another kid.

Using PEDs at the lower level can take away a roster spot from another player and ruin any chance they had at making the majors. Kind of like the Dan Meyer/Antonio Bastardo situation. IMO that's way worse than moving up a few spots on the HR list. Quintana was super young, but his performance could have taken away a paycheck from another kid.

Not saying that taking PEDs in the minors isn't wrong, or isn't as bad as doing it in the majors.

Again, this particular article is talking about the HALL OF FAME. If in the unlikely event Quintana goes on to have a HOF worthy career, none of his major league numbers will come from the benefit of his PED use while in the minors, which is not true in the case of the others.

If Neyer wanted to make the same point you are making, then he should never have put the words HALL OF FAME in his article.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
Sox said they sold over 4k tickets on GAME DAY for Monday's game. And they had like 29k, or something, I think (I should look up the exact number). There was a definite A-Rod bump for Monday. Tuesday's game came down to more like normal levels, I think.

27,948 on Monday and 23,826 on Tuesday. So maybe there was a slight bump, but I wonder what their average walk-up sales are on a Monday night.