Quintana's drug-related past

knightni

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
huh? Who said no one is using anymore?

You will get better discussion from people if you stay away from hyperbole.

Its not hyperbole. If you are confident about the current testing and no one is testing positive, that suggests no one or very few are using.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)
Its not hyperbole. If you are confident about the current testing and no one is testing positive, that suggests no one or very few are using.

Yet. The program has been at this level for only a few months and there is always time for appeals. For all we know there might be a positive test already out there that isn't known about.

I think Quintana's PED use has been more a hindrance to his MLB success than a help. His story is probable, but it doesn't even matter. We know he's been tested a lot and has been tested this year. If he's still using, he'll be caught soon. If not, then it looks like he is a damn fine pitcher without them and hasn't accomplished much with PEDs yet much more without them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)

Again, no one is saying that. What people have said to you, repeatedly, that you keep ignoring, is that the testing is BETTER, and they are confident in that. No one has said that "no one" is using.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)
Again, no one is saying that. What people have said to you, repeatedly, that you keep ignoring, is that the testing is BETTER, and they are confident in that. No one has said that "no one" is using.

The tests may be better but the results are the same. If a small Miami paper hadn't come out with this last year, no one would have been busted this season. Either no one is using or the testing isn't working. What is the purpose of having a better test if it isn't going to catch anyone?

Maybe it is impossible, but to me being confident in a test and all its procedures would mean you are confident if someone isn't playing by the rules, they are going to get caught. MLB is not anywhere near there yet.

Edited by Dick Allen

The tests may be better but the results are the same. If a small Miami paper hadn't come out with this last year, no one would have been busted this season. Either no one is using or the testing isn't working. What is the purpose of having a better test if it isn't going to catch anyone?

Maybe it is impossible, but to me being confident in a test and all its procedures would mean you are confident if someone isn't playing by the rules, they are going to get caught. MLB is not anywhere near there yet.

Right, but they were busted this season for using during previous seasons. My understanding is that the clinic shut down in part because the stuff they were selling was going to be detectable under the new testing system.

Do I think it's naive to believe that NOBODY is using? Of course. But I do believe that the percentage of users this year is smaller than it has been in 25+ years.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Right, but they were busted this season for using during previous seasons. My understanding is that the clinic shut down in part because the stuff they were selling was going to be detectable under the new testing system.

Do I think it's naive to believe that NOBODY is using? Of course. But I do believe that the percentage of users this year is smaller than it has been in 25+ years.

The offensive numbers in baseball agree.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Using PEDs at the lower level can take away a roster spot from another player and ruin any chance they had at making the majors. Kind of like the Dan Meyer/Antonio Bastardo situation. IMO that's way worse than moving up a few spots on the HR list. Quintana was super young, but his performance could have taken away a paycheck from another kid.

I'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt if something like this happens and they admit to it. Remember the Jim Miller incident with supplements? They deserve the §uspension for being stupid and ignorant. However if they never have an incident again, I will believe them. I have seen too many in the NFL when I was there to know that it doesn't happen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)

There will always be someone inventing a new synthetic PED because money is involved. You cannot test for what you don't know exists. This is what happened with BALCO as well. It starts out small and people cheat. The more people that get involved the more vulnerable it becomes and eventually someone rats the company out.

The only way to combet this is to get a baseline blood sample for everyone. Everyone gets tested before the season and during the season. This way you can tell something changed in the sample and you don't need to know it was that changed it.

Baseball Currently has the best testing policy of all the major sports but it is still vulnerable because it only tests for known substances. The percentage of players getting designer PEDs is low because you need to know the person who invented it.