Adam Dunn cleared waivers

LittleHurt05

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
Damn, I wished someone would have bit on that.

Imagine if we shred Dunn, Rios, Alexei and maybe even Danks contract. We will be running on a $25 mil payroll next year

who cares? they probably aren't going to spend even 20% of the payroll that's already been shed between the end of this season and the start of the next one.

at this point anymore money off the books is probably just icing on the cake

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
I hope people realize that the Sox will not be buyers this winter. They will be in a situation where they will see who develops next year. They will be buyers once again in 2015.

They should be buyers in the sense that they will be putting a lot of money into the draft and international signings. If they can nab some top talent that way I will be excited. Free agents are seldom worth the price tag unless you catch lightning in a bottle on someone no one gets too excited about when they sign (like Jermaine Dye).

For now keep chasing Houston down.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
They should be buyers in the sense that they will be putting a lot of money into the draft and international signings. If they can nab some top talent that way I will be excited. Free agents are seldom worth the price tag unless you catch lightning in a bottle on someone no one gets too excited about when they sign (like Jermaine Dye).

For now keep chasing Houston down.

The Sox would have to be 7 games worse than the Astros over the last 48 games to get the first pick. That's not happening.

The Sox are getting the 3rd pick next year. Once the Marlins shut down Fernandez, they'll lose more and get the 2nd pick.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
I hope people realize that the Sox will not be buyers this winter. They will be in a situation where they will see who develops next year. They will be buyers once again in 2015.

There is no way of knowing that.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
There is no way of knowing that.

I think at the very least they'll be looking for bullpen help. If it was me I'd also have Morales at the top of my list. Otherwise most of my efforts would be on extending people.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
The Sox would have to be 7 games worse than the Astros over the last 48 games to get the first pick. That's not happening.

The Sox are getting the 3rd pick next year. Once the Marlins shut down Fernandez, they'll lose more and get the 2nd pick.

I figure the Sox will win 30 percent of their home games and only win 20 percent of road games the rest of the season. Where will that put them?

Edited by greg775

I wonder if the Sox would be willing to eat a decent chunk of this contract to make something happen. Personally I wouldn't move Dunn unless I got some talent in return. A pure salary dump with him doesn't give us any value and without Dunn we'd have even more positions the club would need to fill. I'm totally open to moving him but if he cleared waivers I doubt anyone is going to give the Sox what it will take for it to be worthwhile for the Sox to move Dunn this year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
I wonder if the Sox would be willing to eat a decent chunk of this contract to make something happen. Personally I wouldn't move Dunn unless I got some talent in return. A pure salary dump with him doesn't give us any value and without Dunn we'd have even more positions the club would need to fill. I'm totally open to moving him but if he cleared waivers I doubt anyone is going to give the Sox what it will take for it to be worthwhile for the Sox to move Dunn this year.

I'd assume the Sox would happily eat some of the contract if they were getting something valuable in return, but no one is giving up anything valuable for him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
I figure the Sox will win 30 percent of their home games and only win 20 percent of road games the rest of the season. Where will that put them?

93 wins, likely looking at a wild card spot in that scenario.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 05:12 AM)
Adam Dunn is no longer waiting for walks and has become a very good hitter because of it. Great atbats all day today.

If he's a very good hitter why doesn't any other team want him? Still isn't worth the money apparently.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 12:35 AM)
If he's a very good hitter why doesn't any other team want him? Still isn't worth the money apparently.

I didn't think he needed to qualify that statement with "recently", but we have all seen that "since May 8th" split. Must be up to something like a .315 BA since then by now.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 05:12 AM)
Adam Dunn is no longer waiting for walks and has become a very good hitter because of it. Great atbats all day today.

I agree and it wouldn't be the worse thing to have him here next year either

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
I agree and it wouldn't be the worse thing to have him here next year either

Disagree. Each of the last three years Dunn has started poorly. Really bad this year. What makes you think it will be different next year? If we have a chance to purge him, do it.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 07:32 AM)
Disagree. Each of the last three years Dunn has started poorly. Really bad this year. What makes you think it will be different next year? If we have a chance to purge him, do it.

Because we're not going to just get to purge him. That should be clear based on the fact that he cleared waivers. We'd have to chip in some portion of the $17 million remaining on his contract.

Since there's no one pushing for the 1b/DH slot from the minors, it doesn't make sense to add in $10 million+ unless someone is giving us a reason to do so by returning an actual bit of talent in the deal. We may as well hold onto him and consider his contract a sunk cost. What's the worst that happens, we pay $17 million and he struggles somewhat for the rest of the deal? He's not costing anyone at bats right now.

And maybe there's some upside. Maybe someone does offer something useful for him in the offseason or next year at the deadline, or maybe some of the remaining talent on the ChiSox roster steps up next year and Dunn becomes a fairly good run producer at the bottom of the order.