2014: TWTW or TPSM or TPWM

Quin

I was gonna include a poll, but that would limit discussion.

What do you want to see the Sox do this offseason?

Try to clear more salary and ship out Alexei, Dunn, and Danks and then let prospects develop? Go for the #1 pick in 2015?

Keep those three and get a few big name free agents (McCann, Morales) and hope for the best?

Keep those three until the deadline, sign some stop gaps, then trade that trio and the stop gaps?

Dump them and sign a bunch of FAs, hope for a 2005 like turn around.

Other?

(My annual "Quin's insane speculation" will be posted below, so as not to clutter the top post).

Quin's insane speculation:

Personally, I'd want them to get something of value (such as a good RHP prospect) for Alexei, something for Dunn by eating money or just sending off his contract, and Danks for pure salary relief. The Sox would only have $8M in contracts (not counting arbitration, rookie contracts, and extensions).

Then I'd like them to turn all the massive savings we have...and promptly spend it by extending Quintana and then talking to Gordon, Reed and De Aza about extensions.

I'd try to Nate Jones for Chris Owings.

Then sign McCann, Morales, and somehow Ellsbury. Considering the Sox would have so much money to play with, you might actually be able to pull this off and fill out the bullpen.

Once the season comes around, the Sox should be able to pick Carlos Rodon or Tyler Beede in the draft.

This lineup:

CF - Ellsbury

2B - Gordon

1B - Morales

C - McCann

DH - Viciedo

LF - De Aza

RF - Garcia

SS - Owings/L. Garcia

3B - Semien/Gillaspie

with this staff

Sale

Quintana

Santiago

Johnson/FA

Rienzo/FA

Reed, Leesman, Webb, Lindstrom in the bullpen.

It puts a lot of hope on Rienzo and Johnson unless you want to sign a vet like Josh Johnson, Floyd, Haren, or Ervin Santana to a cheap or reasonable deal and hope for Coop magic.

I want them to have as much payroll flexibility as possible going into the winter to explore short-term contact and in-house options to improve the offense. One would think the offense has to be better than this year. I think the pen though will take a step back.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 10, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
I want them to have as much payroll flexibility as possible going into the winter to explore short-term contact and in-house options to improve the offense. One would think the offense has to be better than this year. I think the pen though will take a step back.

So avoiding big deals like Morales, McCann, and Ellsbury? Or just Ellsbury?

The smartest approach would be to continue selling off guys like Danks and Dunn. Use some of that saved money on international signings and the future. I know it sounds ridiculous but the Sox are better off long term if they have another down year in 2014. If the Sox have consecutive years of obtaining top 5 draft picks ('14 and '15) they will be in great shape.

I believe signing guys like McCain, Ellsbury or Morales to mega deals will not do us any good for the long term. It honestly defeats the purpose of trading Rios IMO. If the Sox truly believed they had a chance at competing in 2014, they would have kept Rios and just moved Garcia out to LF.

I think Hahn is thinking long term with these moves. He is thinking draft, international signings and more development for the prospects in the system. The worst thing the Sox can do this winter is spend just enough money to be average at best (81-81). This would not help us long term. This offense has too many holes to patch up in one offseason.

I truly believe the plan is to be aggressive in the FA market in 2015, which in my opinion is the right thing to do.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 06:24 AM)
The smartest approach would be to continue selling off guys like Danks and Dunn. Use some of that saved money on international signings and the future. I know it sounds ridiculous but the Sox are better off long term if they have another down year in 2014. If the Sox have consecutive years of obtaining top 5 draft picks ('14 and '15) they will be in great shape.

I believe signing guys like McCain, Ellsbury or Morales to mega deals will not do us any good for the long term. It honestly defeats the purpose of trading Rios IMO. If the Sox truly believed they had a chance at competing in 2014, they would have kept Rios and just moved Garcia out to LF.

I think Hahn is thinking long term with these moves. He is thinking draft, international signings and more development for the prospects in the system. The worst thing the Sox can do this winter is spend just enough money to be average at best (81-81). This would not help us long term. This offense has too many holes to patch up in one offseason.

I truly believe the plan is to be aggressive in the FA market in 2015, which in my opinion is the right thing to do.

I agree, but I don't think Hahn is going to wait for the draft. I think the short-term plan is try to find a bad contract or two and get 3 or 4 more prospects. If they can get another everyday player or two by doing that I think they'll be in pretty good shape with the payroll going back down to ~$40M in 2016.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
I agree, but I don't think Hahn is going to wait for the draft. I think the short-term plan is try to find a bad contract or two and get 3 or 4 more prospects. If they can get another everyday player or two by doing that I think they'll be in pretty good shape with the payroll going back down to ~$40M in 2016.

I don't understand what the point of taking other bad contracts is when we just dumped our own relatively decent contracts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
I don't understand what the point of taking other bad contracts is when we just dumped our own relatively decent contracts.

He's 100% against signing free agents for more than 2 years, but is all for taking on half of Ethier's deal which has 4 years remaining. I wouldn't waste too much time trying to understand his plan.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 06:24 AM)

If we're really taking a long-term view, what difference does it make if they sign a big name FA in 2014 or 2015? It should depend on the impact of the potential player, IMO. If Ellsbury is the best fit, then they should go for him, even if it's "a year early." If they think it's Hanley or Chase Headley or any of the 2015 FA, they should wait until after next season.

While I think Ellsbury is that kind of impact player, I think he will be priced out of the Sox plans (especially with the Boras factor), even with all their flexibility. I agree signing a FA OF kind of defeats the purpose of trading Rios, but Ellsbury > Rios by enough to justify it, talent wise. A guy like Granderson may not be worthwhile enough.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 12:56 AM)
Quin's insane speculation:

Personally, I'd want them to get something of value (such as a good RHP prospect) for Alexei, something for Dunn by eating money or just sending off his contract, and Danks for pure salary relief. The Sox would only have $8M in contracts (not counting arbitration, rookie contracts, and extensions).

Then I'd like them to turn all the massive savings we have...and promptly spend it by extending Quintana and then talking to Gordon, Reed and De Aza about extensions.

I'd try to Nate Jones for Chris Owings.

Then sign McCann, Morales, and somehow Ellsbury. Considering the Sox would have so much money to play with, you might actually be able to pull this off and fill out the bullpen.

Once the season comes around, the Sox should be able to pick Carlos Rodon or Tyler Beede in the draft.

This lineup:

CF - Ellsbury

2B - Gordon

1B - Morales

C - McCann

DH - Viciedo

LF - De Aza

RF - Garcia

SS - Owings/L. Garcia

3B - Semien/Gillaspie

with this staff

Sale

Quintana

Santiago

Johnson/FA

Rienzo/FA

Reed, Leesman, Webb, Lindstrom in the bullpen.

It puts a lot of hope on Rienzo and Johnson unless you want to sign a vet like Josh Johnson, Floyd, Haren, or Ervin Santana to a cheap or reasonable deal and hope for Coop magic.

If the plan is to sign free agents, I'll take a more realistic approach with this with a team that could hopefully compete next year. I'd say stay away from Ellsbury for now. He's going to get 100+ million. But I like McCann and Morales. Neither is going to get a "mega" contract. Still expensive, but affordable and both fit huge needs. That will give you an average offense to go along with a potentially great pitching staff. We should sign a reliever. Who that is, I don't really care. Anyways, you go into next season with a roster looking like this

1. De Aza, LF

2. Gordon Beckham, 2B

3. Brian McCann, C

4. Kendrys Morales, 1B

5. Adam Dunn, DH

6. Avisail Garcia, CF

7. Dayan Viciedo, RF

8. Alexei Ramirez, SS

9. Conor Gillaspie/Marcus Semien, 3B

UT- Jeff Keppinger

C- Josh Phegley

4th OF- Jordan Danks/whoever

1. Chris Sale

2. Jose Quintana

3. Hector Santiago

4. John Danks

5. Eric Johnson

6. Andre Rienzo

LH- Charlie Leesman

LH- Scott Downs

RH- Daniel Webb

RH- Matt Belisle/other random FA

SU- Nate Jones

C- Addison Reed

If Viciedo and Garcia could become league average players, I believe that roster could compete for a playoff spot next season. Obviously, those are two really big ifs that aren't leaning in our favor right now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)

You think a team would be willling to give the Sox a couple of prospects if they could get B.J. Upton for 4y/$20M? I think some team might.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
He's 100% against signing free agents for more than 2 years, but is all for taking on half of Ethier's deal which has 4 years remaining. I wouldn't waste too much time trying to understand his plan.

It's called options my friend and for that you need cash.

I'm all about signing 2 bats this offseason. With the pitching staff already in place all they need is some offense to compete. Corey Hart is the guy I'm most intrigued by because he more than likely will be looking for a 1 or 2 year contract coming off an injury. If the Sox can't turn it around he then becomes trade bait. McCann is the guy I'd want long term.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
You think a team would be willling to give the Sox a couple of prospects if they could get B.J. Upton for 4y/$20M? I think some team might.

You think the Braves are going to give us good prospects to take BJ Upton after one year of signing him?

Good luck.

I'd take a few chances right now. He's got his eyes on some position prospects I'm sure. See if Rienzo and Johnson can establish any value by pitching in the show. Then dangling them as trade bait. Right now depth at starting pitching is a luxury. If teams aren't willing to take on vet's for prospects than it might have to be prospects for prospects or prospects for semi cost controlled players from 23-27 who are under contract already with decent credentials but whose salaries have not yet exploded. Or our cost controlled young pitchers w/ credentials like Santiago and Quintana as bait for young hitters w/ credentials. I'd prefer dangling Rienzo and Johnson much more.

Explore that fully, see if you can get a piece you want. Re-evaluate again. Put as many of our MiL. position players in the AFL as possible, keep evaluating. Maybe take on a bad contact to get prospects , though that depends on just how bad it is and the players production. Look at young hitters coming off down years with service time left like Josh Reddick ,Ike Davis. Moustakas .Lorenzo Cain is already 27 but I love his play in CF. Angels might be a team to trade with ,look into Bourjos and JB Shuck.

100% of the time I give up young pitching for young hitting. I'm even starting to warm up to the idea of seriously exploring the Sale trade conersations.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
That is not what he said.

So we're going to eat $40 million for a few prospects, essentially? That's ridiculously stupid.

That destroys the whole point of acquiring prospects instead of just signing proven players.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 11, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
I'm all about signing 2 bats this offseason. With the pitching staff already in place all they need is some offense to compete. Corey Hart is the guy I'm most intrigued by because he more than likely will be looking for a 1 or 2 year contract coming off an injury. If the Sox can't turn it around he then becomes trade bait. McCann is the guy I'd want long term.

The Hart option you definitely explore. He's spent his whole career in Milwaukee and Brewers could use him. He'll be healthy around Xmas and has already said he could sign with the Brewers for less money + incentives if the Brewers want him back which they should. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/cor...-215462751.html

I suggested this in another thread:

Go very hard after one big name free agent from this list: McCann, Cano, Choo, Ellsbury (there may have been one or two more I listed)

Offer them a 4 year deal that is insanely front-loaded, as in $25M or more for the first year but then only $10M or so the rest of the years.

It might convince them to come here when other teams will inevitably be offering longer deals, but it handcuffs the payroll in 2014 when there's a lot of money to spend and little hope of winning anyway. Then, the Sox still have plenty of money to spend in 2015 and beyond to lock up younger players and/or sign another free agent.

With where we are now, I really like the idea of going after Morales. We simply have a gaping hole at 1b next year. Konerko shouldn't be brought back even if he wants to come back. Morales on a 2-3 year deal fills that hole and he can move to DH if we ever get someone to fill that role

Add at least 1 bullpen arm. Maybe 2, if we need a lefty also (although we have a bunch of candidates who could fill that role).

Any young guy you're giving up on...you give up on him because of what you know and no other team does. You give up on him because of how he's taking to coaching.

Oh, and find a new manager who can make these players look like they care about playing again, the way they did in 2012. Would rather lose games with guys who look like they care than this comedy of errors.

I've liked Morales for a long time. Really, since the season he broke his foot. His swing and his makeup made me think, he'd definitely recover. Anyone have a full list of free agents?

I feel like Hahn is into rebuilding for the long haul. I think that's why this past offseason, you saw him make minimal moves. He kind of wanted to see this team fail so he wouldn't have to put up with "this team is close, we need to tweak it." He wants fresh blood on the squad. Clearing guys like Konerko, Dunn(after next season) and maybe Danks(though I think that's almost impossible), will give him the template he needs to start fresh. They do need to bring in some marquee players though to keep the fans they do have, going to the games.

If you could get Cano, you do it. I'd let go or trade Beckham if at all possible. I'd try to stick Viciedo back at 3B where he would still be a plus bat. Probably get McCann while I'm at it, if not Morales. You have a glut of potential OFers in your system. Let them all play next season. Thompson, Mitchell, etc., you need to see if they can give you anything at all.