2014 White Sox

rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 11:30 PM)
From what I've read and what I've seen (I will not over-react; I like him) Garcia again looks like a White Sox free-swinger with a bunch of talent (see Viciedo, see DeAza) who could use some coaching.

I like the fact Manto got Beckham to bend his knees. Beckham should now be a .300 hitter the rest of his career, though his power may have been zapped, which is OK. He was on fast track to the minors if he kept his old stance.

But folks, our youngsters (Phegs isn't going to make it without some refining as well) need help. Is Manto the man the young players will respect enough to give that help? I'd fire him and bring in a FAMOUS hitting coach. Big Frank probably won't do it. He's too rich to want to travel that much during the season. Is SOMEBODY out there??? Garcia's future may depend on it.

Because being famous makes one better at their job. Who cares about fame? I don't care if the hitting coach is Ralph Howard from Nome, Alaska as long as he can help the hitters. It's like the argument that a manager is good because people smile at him at Dennys.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read and what I've seen (I will not over-react; I like him) Garcia again looks like a White Sox free-swinger with a bunch of talent (see Viciedo, see DeAza) who could use some coaching.

I like the fact Manto got Beckham to bend his knees. Beckham should now be a .300 hitter the rest of his career, though his power may have been zapped, which is OK. He was on fast track to the minors if he kept his old stance.

But folks, our youngsters (Phegs isn't going to make it without some refining as well) need help. Is Manto the man the young players will respect enough to give that help? I'd fire him and bring in a FAMOUS hitting coach. Big Frank probably won't do it. He's too rich to want to travel that much during the season. Is SOMEBODY out there??? Garcia's future may depend on it.

Thing is, if the White Sox scouts decide he's a can't miss prospect, the Sox HAVE to acquire him if they want to be relevant in the Central Division quickly.

My vote is for Kate Upton. She's definitely FAMOUS and you have her in the dugout with just a jersey on and no pants and attendance will skyrocket.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)
My vote is for Kate Upton. She's definitely FAMOUS and you have her in the dugout with just a jersey on and no pants and attendance will skyrocket.

Upton would be awesome but come on, she is far too busy with her modeling career at this point. Lets be realistic about it. Bruce Willis is probably a better choice. Have you seen Die Hard? He would be able to show them how to run across glass and shoot guns while jumping out of windows. US Cellular would never be the same.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 07:53 AM)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)
Upton would be awesome but come on, she is far too busy with her modeling career at this point. Lets be realistic about it. Bruce Willis is probably a better choice. Have you seen Die Hard? He would be able to show them how to run across glass and shoot guns while jumping out of windows. US Cellular would never be the same.

I like both ideas, but why not play off the nickname for the stadium: The Cell? We could get Tom Hanks, dressed as Paul Edgecomb from The Green Mile. He could slowly patrol the dugout while giving the players advice on life. Or how about Morgan Freeman (Shawshank Redemption)? "Swing through the ball, and listen to sound of my voice."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
What's Tom Berenger up to now a days? I think he's just famous enough that he'd be good, but not so famous as to attract too much media attention and becoming a circus in the locker room. Plus, it's JAKE TAYLOR. I mean, you guys, COME ON!

"Well, I guess there's only one thing left to do. Win the whole f***ing thing."

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)

Willis would have all the players hitting barefoot though. Help or hurt?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)
Willis would have all the players hitting barefoot though. Help or hurt?

Might hurt at first, but it would only build strength and character. Then they could tie in Shoeless Joe Jackson into the advertising somehow.

It would be worth paying Upton whatever it takes to get her. After all, she knows how to hit Verlander.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
It would be worth paying Upton whatever it takes to get her. After all, she knows how to hit Verlander.

Problem is, Verlander has no problem rising to the occasion.

Edited by witesoxfan

Thing is, if the White Sox scouts decide he's a can't miss prospect, the Sox HAVE to acquire him if they want to be relevant in the Central Division quickly.

I think it has more to do with philosophy. He's finally figured out he is not a power hitter and is just hitting.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 03:09 AM)
Yankees - Teixera

Rangers - Moreland

Angels - Pujols

Baltimore - Davis

Red Sox - Napoli

Phillies - Howard

Detroit - Fielder

Mets - Ike Davis

I would think from that list I would look out for the Mets, Rangers and the Red Sox.

The Yankees and Orioles need a DH as well, and supposedly Abreus best friend is on the Orioles. The Marlins are supposedly going to make a big run given their regional Cuban population. With the extra $25M every team is getting next year, their will be no shortage of bidders for him. Their are several teams that need offensive upgrades that wouldn't mind giving half of that money to Abreu.

I seriously don't get the obsession people have with Frank being the hitting coach, what would make anyone think he would be good at it. Frank was such a natural talent I am not sure that he could teach others to hit the way he did. It is kind of like Michael Jordan coaching basketball to me, things come so easy to them it is hard to teach others. Most good coaches/managers were middle of the road players that had to grind everything out to make things work in the majors. I would much rather have Greg Norton than Frank Thomas in that role. Manto has been a good departure from the Greg Walker uppercut, the guys have lost some power but are making more contact, I think he deserves to stay given the improvements by Rios, Beckham, and Dunn on his watch.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 03:40 PM)
I seriously don't get the obsession people have with Frank being the hitting coach, what would make anyone think he would be good at it. Frank was such a natural talent I am not sure that he could teach others to hit the way he did. It is kind of like Michael Jordan coaching basketball to me, things come so easy to them it is hard to teach others. Most good coaches/managers were middle of the road players that had to grind everything out to make things work in the majors. I would much rather have Greg Norton than Frank Thomas in that role. Manto has been a good departure from the Greg Walker uppercut, the guys have lost some power but are making more contact, I think he deserves to stay given the improvements by Rios, Beckham, and Dunn on his watch.

People? No. Greg? Yes.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)
I think it has more to do with philosophy. He's finally figured out he is not a power hitter and is just hitting.

Could be. The bent knees are obvious, however.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
People? No. Greg? Yes.

Thing is, we're not going to win anything until the players improve their on base percentage. Big Hurt somehow hit for power and also walked a lot.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)

Does that make anybody else kind of sad? I mean it's great to have him productive, but I thought the Sox had a 20-25 HR infielder when he first got to the show, not just a singles/doubles guy.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 08:38 PM)
Does that make anybody else kind of sad? I mean it's great to have him productive, but I thought the Sox had a 20-25 HR infielder when he first got to the show, not just a singles/doubles guy.

I still don't know what kind of power he has because of that wrist injury. It's going to cost him power all year, that was said when the injury first happened.