Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
That said, there's no precedent for them going after a guy like this, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even have a chance on him.

TBH, I'm not so sure that's true.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
This makes almost too much sense on paper, given the Sox clear need for offense, a first baseman, players that will be able to contribute for the next 5 years, and something to get the payroll over $50m. That said, there's no precedent for them going after a guy like this, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't even have a chance on him.

I hope we do though. Something like 6/60 would be the richest deal to one of these guys by far, and even if he was a AAAA hitter, the $10m per year wouldn't kill you. This is a good fit, methinks.

And on top of it, if you start to look at teams who will spend money, most have their 1Bs that they are committed to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
And on top of it, if you start to look at teams who will spend money, most have their 1Bs that they are committed to.

Boston looks like the best fit, since Napoli has been pretty pedestrian after May.

But yeah, this is one where the Cubs/Dodgers won't be in a position to blow everyone away this time because of their incumbents.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
Well, I'm not either. I just know we don't have any of them. Ramirez/Viciedo got peanuts compared to what this guy is going to get. I'm just tempering my expectations, I guess.

Right, however, we have been "in" on the talks for all of these. Going back even to when we offered fukodome more than the cubs. And last year going in for Soler.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Boston looks like the best fit, since Napoli has been pretty pedestrian after May.

But yeah, this is one where the Cubs/Dodgers won't be in a position to blow everyone away this time because of their incumbents.

The Mets and Rangers also seem like teams that will be hot on this dude's trail.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)

Teams that will have some level of interest:

Colorado

Milwaukee

Pittsburgh

Boston

Cleveland

Houston

Minnesota

New York x2

Oakland

Texas

Baltimore

Tampa Bay

The A-Rod situation may keep the Yankees out of it due to his contract and the DH spot they will need to leave open for him when his suspension is reduced. With the extra $$ from the national TV deal, every team will have enough additional funds to sign him, so it is going to come down to who can get creative with a contract and what he and his agent feel are the best fit to maximize his value.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)

Boston is probably the favorite given their park, fanbase, competitiveness, and immediate opening for PT.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
Teams that will have some level of interest:

Colorado

Milwaukee

Pittsburgh

Boston

Cleveland

Houston

Minnesota

New York x2

Oakland

Texas

Baltimore

Tampa Bay

The A-Rod situation may keep the Yankees out of it due to his contract and the DH spot they will need to leave open for him when his suspension is reduced. With the extra $$ from the national TV deal, every team will have enough additional funds to sign him, so it is going to come down to who can get creative with a contract and what he and his agent feel are the best fit to maximize his value.

Of that list, I would cross off Colorado, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh,Houston, Minnesota, and Tampa Bay right away as teams that won't hand out a big dollar contract right now.

Next I would cross off the Yankees with their salary situation plus having Tex at 1B. Baltimore has Chris Davis at 1B.

The Indians seem to be using Swisher at 1B, but I can leave them in as a maybe as Swish can play the OF. Texas getting Rios locks up their OF situation for a while, and they probably need 1B and DH for flexibility to play all of the players they have. Oakland is also a maybe as they have finally dropped some coin internationally, but payroll is always a big problem for them if the dollars go too high.

The Mets are a good chance as we have a history spending money, and they may be getting the pitching staff to justify some more thump.

Boston would have to be one of the front runners for a big bid looking at their history, though maybe Dice-K's situation slows their roll a bit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
Of that list, I would cross off Colorado, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh,Houston, Minnesota, and Tampa Bay right away as teams that won't hand out a big dollar contract right now.

I wouldnt cross anyone off. Who really saw the A's winning the Cespedes bidding? Sometimes small market teams do surprising things

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Which is kind of funny considering this board's sentiment towards getting rid of both.

Well, I think he means the fact that organization has been successful in acclimating Cuban defectors into the league before. It implies that the White Sox are aware of the challenges facing defectors and that they've been willing and able to support them.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 10:46 AM)
Well, I think he means the fact that organization has been successful in acclimating Cuban defectors into the league before. It implies that the White Sox are aware of the challenges facing defectors and that they've been willing and able to support them.

I think he means their being here would make him more comfortable.

It really doesn't matter. In the end, what really will matter is cash money.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
I think he means their being here would make him more comfortable.

It really doesn't matter. In the end, what really will matter is cash money.

Doesn't take long for the Cuban defectors to understand the elements of capitalism.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)

Next I would cross off the Yankees with their salary situation plus having Tex at 1B. Baltimore has Chris Davis at 1B.

The Indians seem to be using Swisher at 1B, but I can leave them in as a maybe as Swish can play the OF. Texas getting Rios locks up their OF situation for a while, and they probably need 1B and DH for flexibility to play all of the players they have. Oakland is also a maybe as they have finally dropped some coin internationally, but payroll is always a big problem for them if the dollars go too high.

The Mets are a good chance as we have a history spending money, and they may be getting the pitching staff to justify some more thump.

Boston would have to be one of the front runners for a big bid looking at their history, though maybe Dice-K's situation slows their roll a bit.

Cleveland, Baltimore and the Yankees both have gaping holes at DH though, which it sounds may be the best fit for Abreu given his reported lack of athleticism. Houston may be inclined to make a splash if they see this as a guy that will be a significant contributor three years from now. The Rockies really need some production at 1B and should have the money with Helton's contract coming off the books. I think the Mets are the longest shot with the questions of how Abreus power would play in that park.

The White Sox are a good destination for Abreu, the hold up may be the fanbase as it likely impacts the amount that he will be able to make in endorsement deals. Acquiring this player could really accelerate the Sox timetable for contention.

CF De Aza

2B Beckham

1B Abreu

DH Dunn

LF Viciedo

SS Ramirez

3B Gillespie

RF Garcia

C Phegley/FA - Suzuki/Pena

Would love to make a deal with the Padres to acquire Headley and Fuentes, really would put that lineup in great shape for next year and for the future.