Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
(can someone explain the breadbasket joke/sorry)

Bowden tweeted this as the Rios saga was unfolding...

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 9 Aug

Chance that the #White Sox trade Alex Rios to the #Rangers today "smaller than a bread basket" according to a source involved in trade talks 8:45 am

and don't ask me what size a bread basket is because I have no idea 8:46 am

Bread Basket must have been large as Alex Rios is dealt to the Rangers 10:58 am

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
Bowden has an ESPN Inside article on him.

Among the highlights:

And he calls the Marlins the favorites to sign him based on people he has talked to. In order: Marlins, Red Sox, Rangers, Mariners, A's, Nationals and Rockies.

Take it for what it's worth. Like has been mentioned with Cespedes, Athletics came out of nowhere to sign him.

Oh horses***! He's just pulling speculation out of his ass. Boston because of deep pockets I take it...didn't realize Massachusetts was such a desirable landing spot for Cubans!?!? And of course people will throw Miami out here due to it's proximity to Cuba...other than that...why?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)

Chance that the #White Sox trade Alex Rios to the #Rangers today "smaller than a bread basket" according to a source involved in trade talks 8:45 am

TY.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 08:42 PM)

Thanks, and now that I know the joke, quality joke up there, poster!

After reading the reports on Abreu I'm definitely all in on going after him. He's hitting his prime years. Power hitter that walks and gets on base I'm sold. The only negative I see on him is his body. Hopefully he doesn't go to crazy on the Fast Food in America. He definitely needs to get in better shape.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
Any speculation when a signing would go down? Is this a 6 month thread in the making?

Yes. From this link on the first page:

Abreu will have to establish residency in another country, have Major League Baseball declare him a free agent and the U.S. government’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) clear him to sign, but interest in Abreu should be fierce and should have a major impact on this offseason’s free agent market.

Highly doubt the A's are in on him. You'll have to take my word for it, but Billy Beane has a daughter who lives in Chicago and dates a friend. Billy isn't very fond of Cespedes, so I can't imagine another high-priced, free swinging, Cuban is on his way to Oakland. Take it for what it's worth, but I am not so sure the A's will be rushing to the front of the line to pay big bucks for this guy.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
Following the game on gameday, what happened?

Darvish was throwing a perfect game when he walked somebody. AJ was pissed about the 2-2 called and turned around squawking after the walk. "He must of used a certain word that quite frankly is a no-no......."

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
Highly doubt the A's are in on him. You'll have to take my word for it, but Billy Beane has a daughter who lives in Chicago and dates a friend. Billy isn't very fond of Cespedes, so I can't imagine another high-priced, free swinging, Cuban is on his way to Oakland. Take it for what it's worth, but I am not so sure the A's will be rushing to the front of the line to pay big bucks for this guy.

Does she play guitar and sing your friend sweetly pop songs?

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
A date that's been going around for when he would be available is November

Might be a little fast given governments and visa issues, but not unreasonably so. If he gets the process started rapidly he could definitely be out there in the free agent period this year, if everything goes well.