Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
Market for Cuban players is overinflated, imo. Tread carefully.

LOL. Probably true, because of the bounceback from being wrong time to time (about Alexei Ramirez, then Cespedes, although that's shifting...and now because of PUIG, this guy's probably ending up benefitting 50-75% simply because of Yasiel's rookie season when it should be a completely independent judgment.)

Marty is definitely right about the market for Cubans (and Japanese imports for that matter). There is tremendous risk and if I was a betting man, I would immediately bet that he provides no surplus value on a $50M deal. However, talent is finite and I've been saying how money can't always buy you talent...well, in this case it can. With no other real long-term answers at 1B available for that money on our team or in FA or likely in trade, it might be the wise thing to do.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
Marty is definitely right about the market for Cubans (and Japanese imports for that matter). There is tremendous risk and if I was a betting man, I would immediately bet that he provides no surplus value on a $50M deal. However, talent is finite and I've been saying how money can't always buy you talent...well, in this case it can. With no other real long-term answers at 1B available for that money on our team or in FA or likely in trade, it might be the wise thing to do.

So are you interested at 6/90?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 06:12 PM)
Just to put that in perspective, that would be $25M more than the Sox have ever paid anyone.

El Duque, Contreras,who we didn't draft, ramirez and Viciedo all played or played for the sox. Viciedo, is the Cuban Babe Rurh, that has yet translated into anything stellar. I think Hahn will be cautious with JR's money.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
Probably not. If I had trusted scouts, they may be able to sway me though.

Only quote I've heard from a talent evaluator was from David Forst, assistant GM for the A's who scouted Cespedes while he was out there.

The article, which I posted earlier, called him "The best offensive weapon on the planet" to which Forst had this to say...

"Is he Barry Bonds? No," Forst said. "If you do a comprehensive survey of the clubs, they'd say he is not the best hitter on the planet."

But?

"There are legitimate comparisons to Ryan Howard."

Now assuming he means a healthy Ryan Howard he could be a steal at even say 12M a year.

There is no way this guy is getting 6/90. Cespedes just got 4/36 two years ago and was basically the same age but is a 5 tool outfielder. Abreu may be a more accomplished hitter in Cuba, but he's also a 1B and an average athlete at best. A lot of teams are going to he turned off by his lack of athletism and others simply won't have a need for a 1B/DH type. The market for him will much smaller than those for Cespedes & Puig.

I think he ultimately gets more than Puig since he is major league ready, but 6/60 is the max I see him getting unless the Marlins do something stupid to try and win fans back.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
Market for Cuban players is overinflated, imo. Tread carefully.

It's overinflated because the current CBA has made it so that unrestricted international free agency is the only way to spend money to acquire young, high-end talent. If $80m is the price to play at the table, then so be it. Hahn's hands are tied with regard to the money he has saved -- there are only so many elite scouts he can hire, and even picking at the top of the draft only gives him ~$10m of room there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
Stoney said in the broadcast tonight that he doesn't think the Sox will be able to get Abreu due to the salary demands he'll have.

Be clear. He said he didn't think the Sox would be in if it was a $70 to $80 million price tag, but the Sox have cleared a lot of room and they definitely will have some interest.

I really hope Stone is wrong one way or the other. Either wrong in the statement that the Sox aren't going to pay this guy 10M a year or wrong in the comment that this guy has a chance to be an All Star in year one. If our scouts think he can be an All Star right away then they really need to do what it takes to bring this guy aboard. On a team that has a payroll of under 50M atm 10M isn't going to break the bank.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 02:18 AM)
I really hope Stone is wrong one way or the other. Either wrong in the statement that the Sox aren't going to pay this guy 10M a year or wrong in the comment that this guy has a chance to be an All Star in year one. If our scouts think he can be an All Star right away then they really need to do what it takes to bring this guy aboard. On a team that has a payroll of under 50M atm 10M isn't going to break the bank.

And given the success of Puig, he could bring much needed excitement to the Sox fan base.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
For people that hated the Dunn deal, it's a little funny to see how eager everyone jumping on a guy who we would give twice as much money for a lot less certainty (and we see how far certainty gets you w/ Dunn)

Can't say that hasn't crossed my mind...of course I actually value Dunn more than most, apparently.

We hear the comparisons to Ryan Howard.

Remember what Ryan Howard looks like when he plays a little worse than expected - bad. We'd be rewarding this guy with what is basically the contract Ryan Howard received in his prime. It's kind of insane.

I'll try to trust the White Sox, but hot damn is there a lot of risk if the price is as high as some speculate. Seems like an odd expenditure when you've just put yourself in an amazing position financially.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 12, 2013 -> 08:08 PM)
We hear the comparisons to Ryan Howard.

Remember what Ryan Howard looks like when he plays a little worse than expected - bad. We'd be rewarding this guy with what is basically the contract Ryan Howard received in his prime. It's kind of insane.

I'll try to trust the White Sox, but hot damn is there a lot of risk if the price is as high as some speculate. Seems like an odd expenditure when you've just put yourself in an amazing position financially.

It's the problem that comes along with having to turn around an offense on a quick timeline...you're stuck with what the market provides...which is why you can't afford to be giving guys like Rios away for nothing, because then you go and struggle to replace him.