Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
You still retain team control like any other non-MLB player on these guys unless you explicitly release the player from that team control

Right, that was the case with Viciedo, IIRC. It would be safe to assume though that if he were turning down extra years, he would have a clause releasing him from control.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that the Sox have dumped much of their significant payroll with the specific intention of being able to go after Abreu? How long do you

suppose that they have known that he was defecting?

I've long felt that the elite Cuban players are legitimate, even if the overall level of competition may not be much better than AA Minor League ball.

The difference is, no one continues to play in AA when they have demonstrated that they are elite. I think that we can accept that Cuba has a few really good players, and Morales, Cespedes, Puig and most likely Abreu, are the real deal. A guy can't put up the kind of numbers that Abreu has, without being something special. Hey, if we are looking at a guy who is the best hitter in his country, I say he's certainly worth the gamble.

The Sox have plenty of "athletic, toolsy" guys, who can't hit a baseball. We don't need another one of those. We need a guy who is a real offense weapon, and not a former football player, who we hope can learn to play baseball. I personally drool over the possibility of having Garcia and Abreu in the same lineup. They just could provide a great tandem, in the middle of the order for a long time to come. Wouldn't that be refreshing, after this season's offensive ineptitude?

You don't normally have an opportunity to sign a free agent until he has passed much of his prime. Why not try to lock Abreu up through his prime?

I'd like to see them give him more years, and less per year. I'd want him until he's around 32. It's rare to be able to get a guy for his prime, and not have to pay for the out years, just as the Angels have done with Pujols and the Yankees did with A Rod.

The problem is that we don't know that. As a 16 year old - 16! - Dayan Viciedo hit .337 and 14 homers in the Serie Nacional, and he's been a huge disappointment thus far. If the scouts say they like what they see and they think the tools will translate, then throw a boatload of money at him.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
He's represented by Praver Shapiro Sports Management, twitter reports (Jeff Passan). Googol search shows they also rep Carlos Marmol, Zambrano and Wandy Rodriguez. based in Miami

White Sox will be present for Abreu's showcase in September.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox-talk/w...abreus-showcase

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
He's represented by Praver Shapiro Sports Management, twitter reports (Jeff Passan). Googol search shows they also rep Carlos Marmol, Zambrano and Wandy Rodriguez. based in Miami

Reinsdorf better use those Jewish connections.

QUOTE (staxx @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Look for us to try to dump Danks/Dunn. If we can and save a little bit of $$$, I have little doubt that we will end up with this kid.

Even without dumping 1 of those guys the Sox still have plenty of money to be in the Abreu sweepstakes. I prefer they hold onto Dunn, if he keeps up what he's done the last 3 months then the team is much better off. If they lose Dunn and don't replace him with another LH middle of the order bat then they are once again left without a power bat.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
Even without dumping 1 of those guys the Sox still have plenty of money to be in the Abreu sweepstakes. I prefer they hold onto Dunn, if he keeps up what he's done the last 3 months then the team is much better off. If they lose Dunn and don't replace him with another LH middle of the order bat then they are once again left without a power bat.

I'd happily dump Dunn if someone took on more than $10 million of what he has remaining or if someone gave up something of value for him. Basically, that means someone overpays for him. So far, no team has shown interest in doing so. If no one is going to give up more for him than he is worth, then he's a sunk cost to the White Sox and we may as well get some production out of it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
I'd happily dump Dunn if someone took on more than $10 million of what he has remaining or if someone gave up something of value for him. Basically, that means someone overpays for him. So far, no team has shown interest in doing so. If no one is going to give up more for him than he is worth, then he's a sunk cost to the White Sox and we may as well get some production out of it.

I'd have no issue sitting on Dunn until next year. Say he hits like he has the past 60 games in the first 60 games of next season and we're not contending, some one is gonna pay big to get him.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Sox will end up landing this guy. With the previous successful relationships to guys like Contreras, Ramirez and Viciedo- Abreu can truly find comfort with the Sox. This guy is exactly what this team desperately needs!

If they can get this dude on board- we have our 1b of the future! They can then focus in on improving the 3b, C and CF positions moving forward.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 25, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
I think the Sox will end up landing this guy. With the previous successful relationships to guys like Contreras, Ramirez and Viciedo- Abreu can truly find comfort with the Sox. This guy is exactly what this team desperately needs!

If they can get this dude on board- we have our 1b of the future! They can then focus in on improving the 3b, C and CF positions moving forward.

The Sox have been wildly successful in recent attempts, including the signings of Chapman, Cespedes, and Puig too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
The Sox have been wildly successful in recent attempts, including the signings of Chapman, Cespedes, and Puig too.

Seriously, though, how hard did the Sox go after these guys? The only one of those three that I remember hearing the Sox pursuing was Cespedes. The Sox are now in a position where they can actually and actively pursue Abreu, where in the past they did not have the necessary funds. That being said, I will be surprised if the Sox sign this guy. I think they'll be in the sweepstakes, but the price may prove to be too high.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
Seriously, though, how hard did the Sox go after these guys? The only one of those three that I remember hearing the Sox pursuing was Cespedes. The Sox are now in a position where they can actually and actively pursue Abreu, where in the past they did not have the necessary funds. That being said, I will be surprised if the Sox sign this guy. I think they'll be in the sweepstakes, but the price may prove to be too high.

This is what I remember as well.

Seriously, though, how hard did the Sox go after these guys? The only one of those three that I remember hearing the Sox pursuing was Cespedes.

They were more serious about Soler and Cespedes than the others, but your point remains.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
They were more serious about Soler and Cespedes than the others, but your point remains.

Definitely worth noting though that the White Sox might not have been the ideal landing spot for some of these signings once they became big-budget guys. Pre-2012 the Sox were cutting back salary and had an OF with an expensive, struggling guy already and a couple more young guys to work in (Rios, De Aza, Viciedo). That they went for Cespedes at all despite cutting $20 million from the payroll that year is somewhat surprising.

This year they have tons of money to spend even if there's a payroll cut and this guy would not block anyone.

Last year, Peter Gammons tweeted that the White Sox were 2nd in the bidding for Soler at upwards of $25 million.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 07:14 AM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/06/cubs...asel-puig-.html

With the recent success of Cubans, he is going to get an incredibly lucrative deal. I'm not saying they won't, but speculating about whether they will sign him this early is the process is silly.

If you're going to dream, dream big.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
From what I've been told, it sounds like they plan to pursue Abreu very aggressively. You never know what closes it, but it won't be for lack of trying.

Fantastic!

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet but I had heard on ESPN that while Puig signed for 7yr/42mil, the second highest dollar amount he was offered was 12 million. Take it for what it's worth.

I want that agent then

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
From what I've been told, it sounds like they plan to pursue Abreu very aggressively. You never know what closes it, but it won't be for lack of trying.

Any early ideas at a ceiling of either total dollars, total years, annual dollars, or some combination of those factors?