Sox Sign Jose Abreu - 6/$68 million

beck72

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 08:01 PM)
We may have just signed the guy said to be the greatest Cuban hitter ever and your worried about his K's?

Yes I am. If he hits .290, 20/85 rookie year, great. But if he does that on top of 250 strikeouts, I'm worried.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/jose...n-contract.html

The deal would be the largest contract ever for an international free agent. It would easily surpass the six-year, $42MM deal Yasiel Puig received from the Dodgers last June.

Do Japanese players not count as "international free agents"? Not being sarcastic, is there a different designation for them? I thought Dice-K got like $100 million.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
We may have just signed the guy said to be the greatest Cuban hitter ever and your worried about his K's?

I'm worried about everything. This is a big gamble. If it doesn't work or he struggled like Cespedes this year it really hammers us. We need Konerko level production here, that's a ton of salary for us.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)
Do Japanese players not count as "international free agents"? Not being sarcastic, is there a different designation for them? I thought Dice-K got like $100 million.

Remember that $50 million of that was the posting fee that went to the Japanese franchise he was under contract with.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
From what I've been told, it sounds like they plan to pursue Abreu very aggressively. You never know what closes it, but it won't be for lack of trying.

To his credit, Rick has always been on JDA even before his name went national news. KW's scouting likely sealed it, btw.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
Remember that $50 million of that was the posting fee that went to the Japanese franchise he was under contract with.

Ah right. So Dice-K was the most money ever spent to acquire an international player, but this would be the biggest contract.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Oct 17, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)
Obviously he won't do exactly that, but my point is if he has a stellar year but strikes out 200+ times, I'd be worried.

A stellar year with that many K's means Ryan Howard numbers, so lower average but 40+ home runs. I can live with that.