Who is the most exciting player in the Sox organization (major and min

caulfield12

Pick the five most exciting players in the entire system (majors/minors)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Pick five, rank them 1-5 when you write ur commentary below

• Alexei Ramirez
    • Chris Sale
    • Avisail Garcia
    • Dayan Viciedo
    • Alejandro DeAza
    • Leury Garcia
    • Micah Johnson
    • Marcus Semien
    • Courtney Hawkins
    • Hector Santiago
  2. 2. Pick from this list as well

• Gordon Beckham
    • Keon Barnum
    • Trayce Thompson
    • Brandon Jacobs
    • Jared Mitchell
    • Keenyn Walker
    • Adam Dunn
    • Josh Phegley
    • D. Webb
    • Montas

I'll go with....

1) Hawkins

2) C. Sale

3) L. Garcia

4) A. Garcia

5) Dayan Viciedo

Just to get the conversation started.

Micah Johnson would have been in the rankings (for me) had this been done 6 weeks ago, PROBABLY.

Semien right now is my #6. Santiago #7. Webb #8, Ramirez #9. Zapata/Barnum tied at 10.

FWIW, for the entire majors....they just did this as ESPN.com and came up with:

1) Miggy

2) Trout

3) Puig (but with more 1st place votes than Trout)

4) Darvish

5) McCutcheon

Hard not to include Carlos Gomez in there with the incredible season he's having. Bryce Harper should be somewhere in the conversation...Strasburg used to be, Kershaw? Zach Greinke, if you include his hit tool. Hanley Ramirez has had a great season, WHEN/IF healthy. Cano. Scherzer/Verlander (pre-2013).

Edited by caulfield12

I got an error message because I didn't choose at least one from the second list, so I just threw Dunn in there, but the five Sox players I'm most excited about right now are:

1) Sale

2) Santiago

3) Quintana

4) Reed

5) Jones

Garcia certainly has a chance to get there. So does Siemen if he keeps hitting. The other prospects have quite a bit to show me before I get excited about them.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
I got an error message because I didn't choose at least one from the second list, so I just threw Dunn in there, but the five Sox players I'm most excited about right now are:

1) Sale

2) Santiago

3) Quintana

4) Reed

5) Jones

Garcia certainly has a chance to get there. So does Siemen if he keeps hitting. The other prospects have quite a bit to show me before I get excited about them.

Yeah, there are DEFINITELY many different definitions of "exciting." You chose to go with mostly major leaguers.

I don't know if I would ever call Quintana "exciting" but his progress/development have been...and I should/could definitely have included Nate Jones in there for his fastball/slide piece package but I chose to go with rising prospects like Webb and Montas instead.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Dylan Axelrod :ph34r:

Very funny. You're just mad u can no longer vote for Rios.

Joking.

I guess u still can, based on his play the first 3 months, if you wanted to.

Next, the complaints that Rienzo and Erik Johnson weren't there.

If someone complains about not including Troncoso/Tyler Greene/Jordan Danks/Tekotte, not sure what to say there.

Maybe Flowers would have been on the list before the season started. I've never been in love with Addy, so he wasn't there, either.

Danish? And the infamous 'Zewski 3B prospect. Santos Rodriguez? Olacio?

FORGOT MICKER VIVA ZAPATA (I'LL STICK HIM WITH BARNUM AT BACK END OF TOP TEN).

Edited by caulfield12

I voted for Sale, A. Garcia, Santiago, Mitchell, and Beckham. I don't know much about the minors, although thanks to many of the very knowledgable folks on this board I'm more informed now. But I've heard a lot of potential good things about Mitchell. Sale and Santiago I like for obvious reasons. I believe both will be parts of the Sox rotation for quite a while. Garcia has a ton of potential, and he's another that could be in a Sox uniform for many years. Finally, I chose Beckham because he's looked so much better this year since coming back from the DL. His defense ahs always been good, but it seems like he'a finally figured something out with the bat. Time will tell, but maybe Hawk was right and he'll take over as the leader of this team.

As a wild card, I'll say I'm interested to see how L. Garcia does. It sounds like he has the potential to be decent starter with great defense and speed and an okay bat. It would be nice to see that happen, but having him as a super sub wouldn't be a terrible thing either.

Oh, and don't forget about Micker Zapata. I know he's a long ways away, but you never know.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
I voted for Sale, A. Garcia, Santiago, Mitchell, and Beckham. I don't know much about the minors, although thanks to many of the very knowledgable folks on this board I'm more informed now. But I've heard a lot of potential good things about Mitchell. Sale and Santiago I like for obvious reasons. I believe both will be parts of the Sox rotation for quite a while. Garcia has a ton of potential, and he's another that could be in a Sox uniform for many years. Finally, I chose Beckham because he's looked so much better this year since coming back from the DL. His defense ahs always been good, but it seems like he'a finally figured something out with the bat. Time will tell, but maybe Hawk was right and he'll take over as the leader of this team.

As a wild card, I'll say I'm interested to see how L. Garcia does. It sounds like he has the potential to be decent starter with great defense and speed and an okay bat. It would be nice to see that happen, but having him as a super sub wouldn't be a terrible thing either.

Oh, and don't forget about Micker Zapata. I know he's a long ways away, but you never know.

Didn't think MITCHELL would get ANY love...but there you go.

He's always been "chock full" of potential but we haven't seen so much of it since the injury, unfortunately. He had that really hot/cold season and now he's basically fallen off the map completely, although he still might get some PT in September.

FORGOT BRENT MOREL.

Edited by caulfield12

Yeah, there are DEFINITELY many different definitions of "exciting." You chose to go with mostly major leaguers.

I don't know if I would ever call Quintana "exciting" but his progress/development have been...and I should/could definitely have included Nate Jones in there for his fastball/slide piece package but I chose to go with rising prospects like Webb and Montas instead.

My definition of "exciting" isn't necessarily restricted to major leaguers, it just happens to pan out that way in the Sox system. I don't see one guy in the minors right now that seems likely to have a long-term impact in the majors. There certainly are guys who are very young and worth keeping an eye on (like Hawkins) and there are guys closer to the majors that are performing well right now but don't have the extended track record to suggest that they're likely to succeed in the majors (like Semien and Garcia). There's nobody you can put down in ink that's going to be in the lineup in 2015.

Sale

Beckham

A. Garcia

Tank

Semien

I think Garcia will improve this offseason. Tank will get over this sophomore slump and break out to the next level.

Semien is my wild card, we'll see what he continues to do and hope it translates.

God, you're right...in two months, Anderson has gone from prospect to suspect because he's not piling up XBH's, stealing tons of bases or looking like an elite (yet) defending SS.

Yikes. He better not join the list of Sox flops...because there were cases to be made he was one of the top 3-4-5 most exciting players in the first round.

Well, I guess about 6 weeks ago, a lot would have been voting Josh Phegley, right? Or Micah Johnson, for another.

Trayce Thompson isn't getting much love either...at least so far.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
God, you're right...in two months, Anderson has gone from prospect to suspect because he's not piling up XBH's, stealing tons of bases or looking like an elite (yet) defending SS.

Yikes. He better not join the list of Sox flops...because there were cases to be made he was one of the top 3-4-5 most exciting players in the first round.

Well, I guess about 6 weeks ago, a lot would have been voting Josh Phegley, right? Or Micah Johnson, for another.

Trayce Thompson isn't getting much love either...at least so far.

Didn't people already guess that Anderson is probably just at the "Exhausted" point from having played many, many more games already this year than at any point in his career before? I.e. last year was a high school season, he followed that up with a college season and a full season of rookie ball afterwards.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
Didn't people already guess that Anderson is probably just at the "Exhausted" point from having played many, many more games already this year than at any point in his career before? I.e. last year was a high school season, he followed that up with a college season and a full season of rookie ball afterwards.

Skepticism abounds with ANY Sox position player prospect until ONE actually succeeds again, right?

We'll see how long the Semien bandwagon holds, after the Phegley and Micah Johnson ones crashed and burned (you could probably add Hawkins and Carlos Sanchez for many this year).

Who are the TOP 3 MOST EXCITING MODS (and how do they compare to Yasiel Puig, and their positions on diplomacy in East Java vis a vis indigenous tribesman and rice and sugar cane farmers, lol)?

By the way, did anyone every answer what happened to Scenario...is he okay?

And where is Cubano to discuss Ramirez, Cespedes, Puig, Soler and this new guy????? Not seen since the middle of the summer in 2012.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)

No!!!!

He was supposed to start from the get-go in Kannapolis with at least 15 homers, MAYBE a couple of errors, a ton of triples and at least 30-45 stolen bases.

Anything less than that=FLOP

"I don't care if he played 41 consecutive days in the Junior College World Series, he shouldn't be tired playing baseball for millions. It's a game, for Christ's sake. He grew up in Mississippi, how much hotter can it get in North Carolina in August...he should be RAKING!!! No excuses! If we're lucky, we have another utility infielder but without the arm or speed of Leury Garcia."

theoretical random messageboard comment on Anderson from Rick Hahn critic

Edited by caulfield12