Konerko on waivers today

Balta1701

Nothing here we didn't expect, but may as well post it since there's no catch-all (grumble grumble cranky grumble).

White Sox veteran slugger Paul Konerko has been placed on waivers, 670 The Score contributor Ken Rosenthal reports.

Konerko has ten-and-five rights, so he can veto any deal the White Sox work out, if he so chooses.

The 37-year-old first baseman is owed roughly $3.25 million for the rest of the season. In 87 games this season, Konerko is batting .243 with nine home runs and 40 RBIs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
The question is who else is on waivers with Konerko, because we know the Sox aren't looking to deal him, unless something just changed.

Something changing is a possibility. Maybe he decided the chances of coming back or being wanted by the Sox are slim for next year and would like a chance to go out a champion. Or maybe he's such a dedicated Sox player that he realizes his value to the team is so low that he's doing the Sox a favor by being off the team and saving them $3.25M in the case he is claimed.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
Something changing is a possibility. Maybe he decided the chances of coming back or being wanted by the Sox are slim for next year and would like a chance to go out a champion. Or maybe he's such a dedicated Sox player that he realizes his value to the team is so low that he's doing the Sox a favor by being off the team and saving them $3.25M in the case he is claimed.

I would put the odds of him being claimed at 10,000:1. This is what they did with Thome when he went to the Dodgers. If he so decides, the Sox will eat his salary and ship him to a competitor. I don't foresee that happening, but it's certainly possible. As I've pointed out about 14 times on here, he still kills lefties.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
I would put the odds of him being claimed at 10,000:1. This is what they did with Thome when he went to the Dodgers. If he so decides, the Sox will eat his salary and ship him to a competitor. I don't foresee that happening, but it's certainly possible. As I've pointed out about 14 times on here, he still kills lefties.

Will go with 100:1 or 50:1, just for argument's sake.

Edited by caulfield12

If someone claimed Konerko, would they have to pick up the $1 million a year for the next 6-7 years on his contract? No ome will claim him probably either way, but if he wants to go somewhere, this will free the Sox to make a deal. I doubt he wants to go anywhere, but if there's an injury, and Paulie is feeling OK,you never know.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
If someone claimed Konerko, would they have to pick up the $1 million a year for the next 6-7 years on his contract? No ome will claim him probably either way, but if he wants to go somewhere, this will free the Sox to make a deal. I doubt he wants to go anywhere, but if there's an injury, and Paulie is feeling OK,you never know.

Didn't we have to pay the deferred portion of Manny's contract?

Regardless, I'd like to see him clear waivers and see Hahn trade him to a contender for a Jeff Barry caliber prospect. He definitely deserves one last chance at a ring as sickening as it would be see him another uniform.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
Didn't we have to pay the deferred portion of Manny's contract?

Regardless, I'd like to see him clear waivers and see Hahn trade him to a contender for a Jeff Barry caliber prospect. He definitely deserves one last chance at a ring as sickening as it would be see him another uniform.

JEFF BERRY!!!!

By the way, the Royals AREN'T so bad, after all. This just in. Unfortunately, nobody notices.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
You're thinking of Jon Berry, easy to get the two confused.

And the basketball Barry brothers, lol.

Jonathan Berry and BARRY (the misidentified one, not unlike KW being ill-informed about Molina)...neither one of those guys made it to the majors, in the end.

Just after the trading deadline, Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said the team had tried to acquire an additional right-handed bat. The price was too high, Duquette said.

Nearly midway through August, names of players reportedly placed on waivers have been leaking, and on Tuesday afternoon, Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal tweeted the Chicago White Sox placed Paul Konerko on waivers.

While former Oriole Mark Reynolds is available now that he’s been released, Konerko would be a much more attractive option for the Orioles.

After the 2005 season, Konerko toyed with signing here, but opted to stay with the White Sox.

At 37, he’s hardly the slugger he once was. He’s hitting only .243 with nine home runs and 40 RBIs. Seven times in his career he’s homered 30 or more times and he has six seasons of 100 or more RBIs.

Konerko is owed about $3.25 million, and even if he clears waivers, can block trades because he’s played in the majors for more than 10 years and five years with the same team.

A free agent at season’s end, Konerko seems like a player who’d want another pennant race, and perhaps the Orioles could offer something to tempt Chicago. It’s sort of reminiscent of last year when they acquired an even older Jim Thome from Philadelphia for a minor league catcher.

It’s a long way from happening, but Konerko as a right-handed designated hitter could help the Orioles.

www.csnbaltimore.com

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
As much as I would like to say no chance of PK leaving I have to remember this team let the Big Hurt go and he had three pretty good seasons afterwards

He deserves to compete for another championship if he so chooses.

He had another good scoop tonight. I'd be surprised if he went unclaimed. How could a contender turn down a veteran like Paul who knows all about winning? Like you said he can still attack lefties and his pride/adrenaline just might get 20 more feet on those fly balls that might start clearing the fence again..

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 01:21 AM)
He had another good scoop tonight. I'd be surprised if he went unclaimed. How could a contender turn down a veteran like Paul who knows all about winning? Like you said he can still attack lefties and his pride/adrenaline just might get 20 more feet on those fly balls that might start clearing the fence again..

You are in serious denial.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 01:21 AM)

Either you seriously don't understand player value and the economics of baseball, or you are baiting the hook.

Or perhaps both.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 13, 2013 -> 06:43 PM)
As much as I would like to say no chance of PK leaving I have to remember this team let the Big Hurt go and he had three pretty good seasons afterwards

And the reason they let him go was for the superior player in Thome.

Frank was my favorite, but letting him go at that point in his career was the right decision. He ended 2004 on the disabled list with a broken foot/ankle, he only played a month in 2005 because of the same injury, and there were concerns and questions as to whether or not he'd ever play again. Guys that weigh about 300 pounds with ankle and foot problems don't typically see those problems vanish over night.

EDIT: Now that I went on that tangent, the reason you would let Konerko go (in the offseason) is because he's not very good anymore and because the team needs to rebuild. It'll be a sad day as that's the last member of the 2005 Sox on the active roster, but you can't keep him on the roster in perpetuity simply due to that piece of trivia.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
Konerko not in the line up today... Does it mean anything? Robin said just a day off, but...

I highly doubt it. After seeing what Rios brought, I can't imagine Konerko would bring anything except the relief of the $3m he's still owed, and it really just doesn't make sense to dump him for that at this point.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
I highly doubt it. After seeing what Rios brought, I can't imagine Konerko would bring anything except the relief of the $3m he's still owed, and it really just doesn't make sense to dump him for that at this point.

I'd let him go to save $500k if that's what he wanted.