Konerko on waivers today

Balta1701

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
Danks is coming off the injury and just getting the arm going again, so I figured he was doing all he could to earn the cash.

DeAza ... I figured I better account for his incredible number of stupid mistakes/misplays this season.

Danks has been quite bad and has made a lot of money, regardless of injury.

You can't account for De Aza's mistakes because that introduces a sample bias because you are simply recollecting what he has done based off you memory. Alejandro De Aza has actually been one of the Sox best players.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
Danks is coming off the injury and just getting the arm going again, so I figured he was doing all he could to earn the cash.

DeAza ... I figured I better account for his incredible number of stupid mistakes/misplays this season.

And I figured Dunn was doing all he could in 2011 to overcome his appendix surgery, but god damn that guy is a total bum!

No excuses Greg, no excuses.

If your definition of earning one's paycheck is "doing all they can to earn the cash", then lots of players are not overpaid in baseball.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)

You can't account for De Aza's mistakes because that introduces a sample bias because you are simply recollecting what he has done based off you memory. Alejandro De Aza has actually been one of the Sox best players.

Danks has made at least 22 stupid mistakes this season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 08:21 PM)
I don't think Flowers can be overpaid when he pretty much makes the league minimum, regardless of how much he sucks.

I just figured whatever Flowers is being paid is too much.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)

I guess I was trying to tell Soxtalk what I thought it wanted to hear re. DeAza. I thought he was generally pretty despised on here. I don't mind the guy. Don't like his defense and/or baserunning very much.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
I guess I was trying to tell Soxtalk what I thought it wanted to hear re. DeAza. I thought he was generally pretty despised on here. I don't mind the guy. Don't like his defense and/or baserunning very much.

Now that's just silly. I frankly don't care what anybody on here wants to hear, I just follow the rules and say what I want. If you like De Aza, just say it and don't worry what anyone else says. I don't care that you hate Dunn and Rios and you have a man-boner for Konerko. I am still going to call you on it when you're being hypocritical or holding guys to different standards too.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
I'd like to see the sox hang on to him. I don't think he's done yet, and I'm unsure how everyone else has come to this conclusion.

Well, mostly it's that he's 38, had several nagging injuries surface, and is in the midst of what is BY FAR the worst season of his career. The only season that came close to this bad was 2003. The difference between this time and then is that he is old now.

On top of that, the guy has been hinting at retiring for years. He almost retired before he signed the contract he's currently on. He's got nothing left to prove -- he's not going to reach 500 homers, he's got his championship, and this team isn't likely to be a contender for the next couple years. It's a good time to hang them up. I'd much rather see it now than have him turn into an embarrassment like Griffey did.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
Ouch. You think it's fair calling Paulie a "bum?"

It was tongue in cheek because you call any player that is unclaimed an overpaid bum.

But now that Paulie is, is he a bum? Or is he still going to get that 2 year deal?

And trust me, he's one my three childhood baseball idols (Frank and Mark being the other two), but he's not that good anymore unless his back magically heals at 39 years old.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
It was tongue in cheek because you call any player that is unclaimed an overpaid bum.

But now that Paulie is, is he a bum? Or is he still going to get that 2 year deal?

And trust me, he's one my three childhood baseball idols (Frank and Mark being the other two), but he's not that good anymore unless his back magically heals at 39 years old.

I didn't know it was tongue in cheek so I was standing up for Paulie. My bad.