And that's a White Sox winner !

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

The White Sox have a bad record. No one want's to start game threads and White Sox winner threads are even more scarce. But this game deserved one.

Avisail Garcia got his 1st significant hit for the Sox driving in 2 and scoring 2 as the Sox won their 2nd in a row against the division leading Tigers in the 11th , walking off with a 4-3 victory.

Hector Santiago started and went 5+ innings pitching in and out of trouble. He gave up 2 runs (1 earned). He had a root canal Monday and woke up Tuesday with an infection, a swollen right side of his face and fever of 102.7. From Monday afternoon til Tuesday he spent 20 hrs. in bed.

Garcia hurt his former team with a two out, 1-2 count ,triple into the RF corner driving home 2 and scoring himself when Omar Infante's ill-advised but very catchable relay throw bounced past Miguel Cabrera. Infante was given the error.

Speaking of errors only 1 of Detroit's 3 runs was earned thanks to Alexei Ramirez and his 3 errors.

However ,the Sox prevailed in the 11th by loading the bases with 1 out after a lead off walk from Garcia off Jeremy Bonderman. With the infield and outfield playing in, De Aza dropped one over Infante's head and in front of Tori Hunter ,off lefty Phil Coke, for the 7th walk off of the year and 2nd for DeAza on the homestand.

Addison Reed (5-1) pitched 2 scoreless innings for the win.

The Sox also prevented Tigers starter Max Scherzer from tying a record by denying him his 18th victory in 19 decisions.

Even a sloppily played game in a lost season can result in a little bit of excitement, gutsy pitching and offer a glimpse of the future sometimes.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
I think sunshine is nicer than snow, but right now, winning and losing may as well be interchangeable because the temperature is 30 below.

I recognize this but right now it's a tough balance between wanting to see progression from young players we need and hoping that vets fail miserably so we lose.

Last night was almost perfect with Alexei trying his damndest to lose us the game, but alas.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 07:20 AM)
I loved that walk from Garcia more than I loved the triple. The situation called for a baserunner above all else and he took four close but definitely out of the zone pitches. Very good night for him.

I threw that in there just for you while ignoring the other details how the Sox ended up with the bases loaded.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
I remember recently when the great hope of the White Sox, Avisail Garcia, briefly resided in the banner.

It's funny, people always talk about guys from the 2010 draft. They're all "Ohh Bryce Harper this" and "Manny Machado that" and "Matt Harvey takes dumps on girls chests and strikes out 12 more" and "Jameson Taillon is like fresh bacon because he's sizzling and also he smells amazing." You don't hear people say "Chris Sale has a beard that reminds me of climbing Mount Olympus and playing poker with Zeus." Why? He's been the best player in that draft and he continues to improve.

Also, Addison Reed has the look of a young man who makes panties drip wet.

I can pretty much guarantee that if Garcia proves he's capable, he'll be back up there eventually. They'll be like "When I think of Avisail Garcia, I think of a knight in shining armor approaching on a black steed delivering a telegram for the queen while fighting off dragons and giants mosquitos."